Swing plane / position question

tequila4kapp

Tom Watson called to say “Hi”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.5
Freddie - I believe I've read your prior advice to have the thumb point up on the takeaway, let the arms come up there from there until the back elbow bends, then have the shaft, forearm and bicep create three sides of a box. Im getting confused about the plane this happens on. My instructor generally wants me to swing around my body, more one plane. When I visualize what you have said it looks more upright (especially after the thumb is up) than what I think I'm hearing from my instructor. How do I incorporate your feedback into what I think is a flatter swing? Am I missing something or making this more complicated than it needs to be?

The simple answer is, you can't. I am not sure why he has you swinging around your body. If you allow the shoulders to turn, keep the club in front of you and have proper posture the club moves back and up. NOt back a around. You can play one shot with a shallow swing.

Also I do not get into planes and swinging on plane. The goal is to hit the golf ball flush. This is achieved through a sequence of movements which are unique to all golfers. Canadan has high hands, Trout has his close to his body, Seth's are kind of inside and up. All three hit a solid ball and all three have very unique swings. None of them swings a particular plan or gets caught up in thinking about it.

I believe pros that teach plane, not all but most, are just repeating what they heard someone else say. I know some very good teachers that teach plane and it works for some and others it does. I think their are basic needs in a swing but how people arrive at those needs is all their own.

Thanks Freddie. He had never used the term in all our time before. The context was that I had gone from a pretty regular inside out path to a barely outside in path (ball flight was left w/ a draw and he was explaining that I was swinging left with a closed face). I shared the swing thoughts I had been focusing on (basically your 3 things) and that's when it came out. I think there was some talk of me being barely OTT and that I needed to get my hands further behind my shoulders and get more on a single plane.

I don't mean to put you in the position of second guessing someone else, just trying to figure out how to incorporate what I've read from you and the other. Thanks again for the quick response. I'll keep working on it.

I can say that worrying about your swing plane will drive you crazy. I spent a couple of months worrying about it and ended up getting frustrated beyond belief. I would stand over the ball and think more about the plane and shaft angle, and would end up making awful swings. I'm now not focusing on it as much. I just make sure that I'm not taking the club away too far to the inside. I did find that setting my wrist hinge earlier has helped with this.

Thanks, Adam. It isn't so much worrying, but trying to understand the concepts in a way that I can visualize or feel so I can get my body to do the movements. I made solid progress with my instructor but some of the concepts started to confuse me. For example, I also take the club away too inside. The swing around your body stuff started to become hard to differentiate from being too inside. I have been a pretty erratic iron player for the past year and couldn't grasp how/what/where I was going wrong. When I started visualizing the stuff Freddie said it resonated, I could see it in my head and I had a period of having the most repeatable iron swing I've had. In my mind it seems like I'm keeping the club on the path to the target longer and as a result it is easier to hit the ball straighter. It also feels closer to a movement my body wants to naturally make. Anyway, I like my pro and want to keep working with him - and I just re-upped for a bigger lesson series so I've got new coin invested with him - so I was looking for a way to integrate both. I understand now from Freddie the two don't really go together. That's good to know, too. Now I just need to figure out where to go from here. As I said, I like my guy a lot. But I've loved playing a lot better. TBD.

Thanks, Adam. It isn't so much worrying, but trying to understand the concepts in a way that I can visualize or feel so I can get my body to do the movements. I made solid progress with my instructor but some of the concepts started to confuse me. For example, I also take the club away too inside. The swing around your body stuff started to become hard to differentiate from being too inside. I have been a pretty erratic iron player for the past year and couldn't grasp how/what/where I was going wrong. When I started visualizing the stuff Freddie said it resonated, I could see it in my head and I had a period of having the most repeatable iron swing I've had. In my mind it seems like I'm keeping the club on the path to the target longer and as a result it is easier to hit the ball straighter. It also feels closer to a movement my body wants to naturally make. Anyway, I like my pro and want to keep working with him - and I just re-upped for a bigger lesson series so I've got new coin invested with him - so I was looking for a way to integrate both. I understand now from Freddie the two don't really go together. That's good to know, too. Now I just need to figure out where to go from here. As I said, I like my guy a lot. But I've loved playing a lot better. TBD.

I wish you the best of luck. I know if I went through a period of strong ball striking, I'd be looking to repeat and not reinvent

Back