Seeing yourself swing

Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
J.L.'s future high school coach was running an after school clinic this week for the middle school kids. It's taking place at a really nice range. I've been playing pretty poorly so after Mrs. Esox and I dropped her off, I decided to hit some balls.

I've played 27 holes of scramble golf with the pro at my new club over the last two weeks, and he's made a couple comments regarding my seeming inability to hit a mid to long iron. I decided I wanted to see what he was talking about, so i had Mrs. Esox shoot some video of me hitting a variety of iron shots and a hybrid. The card on the camera got full before I could swing a driver.

I've been playing golf for 37 years, and I have never, and I mean never, seen myself swing. I've seen pictures of myself in various positions throughout the swing, but never a video.

It was interesting, and explained a lot. There's some good stuff going on, but there's one thing in particular I need to work on. If I could make this change I think it would allow me to really put up some low scores on a consistent basis, and get back to hitting the ball a long way. Like the youngsters do. I started working on it today.

How many of you video or have someone video your swing? I'm not necessarily talking about a professional lesson, but just a little self evaluation.

Kevin

I've video'd my swing a couple of times about a year ago...as it turns out, I'm clueless when looking at it, and my swing looked a lot uglier than I thought!

I fixed my swing since then, but still...your swing never looks how it feels, that's for sure!

Great timing Esox. I broke out the video today and taped mine. I was going to post it on here, but no way, lol. I actually went to Youtube and brought up "Ugly Golf Swing", mine were worst.

i video/review my swing once a month. just make sure that the club's in a good position on the backswing. i have a bad habit of taking the club back to the inside.

seen mine once, it wasnt purdy and I dont wanna see it again! :act-up:

I am told I have a very pretty swing... but I have never seen it. Not sure if I want to either.

I am told I have a very pretty swing... but I have never seen it. Not sure if I want to either.

You don't, believe me. Just go along with what others say. If they are saying it's pretty it can only go downhill!

My local pro has told me I have a very nice compact swing... but it's one of my goals this month to video tape my swing and maybe post it for Andy to look at. I have no ego in golf...

My local pro has told me I have a very nice compact swing... but it's one of my goals this month to video tape my swing and maybe post it for Andy to look at. I have no ego in golf...

I was going to do the same, but after seeing it I have several things I can work on first. Very flat inside backswing, over the top downswing and looks like no lag at all. Add to that a front sweep to the left side, how can I be playing as well as I have most of this year? I really thought I was making progress until now.

Several years ago, my Uncle did me a favor that I didn't even realize was a favor until the year after. After playing a couple rounds with him he mentioned that I had a movement in my swing that was likely leading to inconsistencies. He videotaped my swing to show me exactly what he was talking about. It was very useful in learning where I could make improvements in my swing. A year later I was struggling again with my ball striking. I videotaped my swing and noticed that the same flaw from a year ago had crept back in my swing. I used the same drills from the year prior and tightened it back up.

Nowadays, I still videotape my swing about once a year, but now I try to videotape my swing during that part of the season when I am really "feeling it." Then, if I need to get back to the basics, I go back to that video so that I can get a "positive image" of my swing.

It was a bit more useful in years past, but still a helpful image is on standby if I am struggling.

My instructor taped all of our sessions. At the first lesson I was horrified at what I saw. It certainly didn't match what I felt. I was basically on a vertical plane. He said, "I suppose you can somehow bring the club back down, around and manage to hit the ball, but I doubt it happens that often". Sadly, he was correct. I actually enjoyed seeing it after some more lessons. It really looked (and felt) a lot better.

First time I saw my swing I was horrified how ugly it was.

Seeing yourself swing

I've only seen a few still shots. Not pretty. Video may kill me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO video is a must for someone looking to improve. First time I saw my swing I was shocked at how far inside I took the club and how over the top I was. My downswing was pretty good to correct my backswing flaws. I couldn't feel how bad my take away was until I saw video. Good thing about my swing was my tempo was compared to Freddie which to me is the best compliment. I am going to take some more video tomorrow of my swing to see how I'm coming along.

My instructor has recorded me at every lesson and it really helps, for me anyways, to see exactly what I'm doing. Since having 2 lessons, there's a noticable difference. Slowly but surely I will get there :smile:

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

I video my swing all the time, and notice nothing but flaws, but what I find most rediculous is how my swing changes through periods of time, and right now for the worst.

Every lesson is getting videoed now. Even worse, I can go on the website and watch them. That's painful. What's more useful is the instructor drawing computer lines of various angles on still shots, and frame-by-frame comparisons with pros. That really helps me see what I need to work on.

Been playing for over 45 years and never had my swing on video. However I go out on my patio deck, put a mat on the deck and watch my swing in the glass patio doors. I do it in full swing and also in slow motion to watch the position of my body, hands, arms and head during the swing. It is not as good as video but it has served me well over the years.

Been playing for over 45 years and never had my swing on video. However I go out on my patio deck, put a mat on the deck and watch my swing in the glass patio doors. I do it in full swing and also in slow motion to watch the position of my body, hands, arms and head during the swing. It is not as good as video but it has served me well over the years.

I do this too. The patio glass is great for watching yourself swing.

Re: Seeing yourself swing

I just recently started to practice somewhere new and it takes a video of my swing each time I hit a ball. I was self conscious at first but have really started to enjoy it. Helps me see the bad things I do but helps me see the good tbings which is important. When i struggle I find comfort its not something major that needs work. Fter my year runs out I plan an renewing again just forthe vid capture.

Who is the pro that you have been playing with at the lakes?

HAHA Thats my Uncle

He's a good guy. My family has been enjoying our time there. We going for the big Mother's Day pig roast/brunch tomorrow.

Kevin

Back