Callaway Jaws Wedges Mini Review

biggsy

Reaction score
THP asked me to give the new Jaws Wedges from Callaway a test run to get my thoughts on them.

I used three wedges (52, 56 & 60) with mid bounce for two rounds and a couple of range sessions.

Looks: This wedge is forged from carbon steel and has a very attractive finish and simple markings giving this modern wedge a simple and clean look.

Feel: Strong and solid feel on full and touch shots. The wedge is consistent from shot to shot and easy to get used to.

Distance: I found these wedges to be about 5 yards longer than the wedges I am currently playing.

Bite and Spinability: This is where this wedge really shines. I was consistently shark-finning my brand new Pentas on shots. These grooves straight out of the plastic are very sharp and the spin they impart on golf balls is ridiculous. If you have any issues spinning a ball, please give these wedges a try.

I liked the stock shaft and grip on the wedge and I was able to control full, half and touch shots with relative ease. I found that the face was hotter than what I was used to around the green and some more work with them would get that part of the game dialed in.

I came away impressed with these wedges and if you are in the market for wedges, you should try these out.

Until next time.

Good write up. I got to watch this first hand as biggsy was spinning it back from everywhere on the green.

good stuff Biggsy!

Nice job biggsy! I too liked these very much when I hit them at the Outing. I thought these and the CG15's were interchangeable and that you couldn't go wrong with either of them

nice write up biggsy! i like my callaway gear and would have a tough time replacing the cleveland cg series of wedges. so one more time, could these wedges replace your 15's pretty easily? is there much of a difference for you performance wise (i'm assuming that the added 5 yards in distance isn't a concern of yours)?

nice write up biggsy! i like my callaway gear and would have a tough time replacing the cleveland cg series of wedges. so one more time, could these wedges replace your 15's pretty easily? is there much of a difference for you performance wise (i'm assuming that the added 5 yards in distance isn't a concern of yours)?
I could get used to the extra distance, but found I was long on everything when playing these during the two rounds. They also had hotter faces around the greens, which again I could used to. They could replace my CG15's but I won't replace those because I like them that much. If the CG15's were 1, these would be 1A. Very close in my opinion but the Callaways definitely have more spin, so if you like A LOT of spin, you would probably like these better.

I could get used to the extra distance, but found I was long on everything when playing these during the two rounds. They also had hotter faces around the greens, which again I could used to. They could replace my CG15's but I won't replace those because I like them that much. If the CG15's were 1, these would be 1A. Very close in my opinion but the Callaways definitely have more spin, so if you like A LOT of spin, you would probably like these better.

well, i'm not known around these parts for my spin game so i will probably stick with the clevelands. i'm glad you are having the opportunity to test this stuff biggsy. i'll be watching you signature for any updates, haha!

well, i'm not known around these parts for my spin game so i will probably stick with the clevelands. i'm glad you are having the opportunity to test this stuff biggsy. i'll be watching you signature for any updates, haha!
It's a lot of fun, I won't lie. :D

Good stuff Biggs! I was impressed with this wedge when I hit it at the outing. Probably the best wedge I hit there.

Good write-up biggsy!

Nice write up, now I have to go out and hit some for myself.

Good review, biggsy. I'm liking the insight you give us on all of these different clubs, keep it up!

Good write-up Biggsy. I liked these too when I hit them in FL.

Nice write-up! I love the look of these wedges, I'm sure they'll find their way into my bag at some point.

Saw first hand myself the spin these things put on the ball. I have played many rounds with Biggsy and have never seen him put that much spin on the ball. Great write-up.

I just ordered 2 of these wedges last night, based on your great write up I think I'm going to love them. One question though, how would these compare to last years X-Forged?

I just ordered 2 of these wedges last night, based on your great write up I think I'm going to love them. One question though, how would these compare to last years X-Forged?
I played with the new ones more than last years model but I think they are very similar. I think the JAWS wedges are a little hotter, at least they were for me. You have the option of the "Dark Vintage" finish and they took away the "New Gun Metal Vintage" finish according to the info I found.

You'll still get the shark finning on the balls for the first couple of months (depending on how much you play) that you have grown accustomed to when these are straight out of the plastic. These grooves are real sharp.

Let us know what you think of them when you've had a chance to play them.

Sounds like I'm going to love my new wedges. Thanks for the write up Biggsy! My 52* should be at my house, along with my 5 wood in t-minus 8 hours.

Have to say thanks to Biggsy for the write-up, just purchased the 54 and 58 deg wedges and these things have some serious spin on them out of the box! The feel is incredible too, so they are replacing my CG12's . So between seeing it with my own eyes, your great write-up and using them myslef today I'm sold.

I grabbed the 60* version of the Jaws wedge and I love it. I think these wedges are just as if not better then the Cleveland wedges. They look excellent, they feel fantastic and stop the ball with ease.

I grabbed the 60* version of the Jaws wedge and I love it. I think these wedges are just as if not better then the Cleveland wedges. They look excellent, they feel fantastic and stop the ball with ease.

glad to hear that you like it OEM.....i think i need to check these wedges out, afterall, i like my cally's.

I really wish you had not done that....But you are OEM, it is to be expected.

I really wish you had not done that....But you are OEM, it is to be expected.

i know, wtf is he thinking? if i had his upcoming weekend, i'd hold off fo' sure. like you said that, that's why he's the OEM, you know these companies love this guy.

I thought I begged you not to break up the cleveland party.
cleveland.jpg

Back