Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I shot one of the best rounds of my short golfing life. It was nowhere near breaking 100 but I am still thrilled. I shot a 115 and part of that was how narrow the fairways were and how much water was on this course. I had so many drops from hitting the water off the tee or going so far into the woods that I couldn't find my ball so I had to drop. My short game was going really well but my driver was letting me down a lot today. It wasn't until the 17th hole that I finally hit a solid drive. Funny how that happens too because my driver is usually the most consistent club in my bag and my chipping/pitching is horrible but today it was the other way around.

All in all I am thrilled with today's round especially since I sunk a sweet 25 foot putt and hit a nice sand shot which I ALWAYS struggle with. We played with Biggsy and his wife and they were a ton of fun out there. She is a good golfer and just like Biggsy she can hit the ball a ton! She sunk a 35 foot putt to save par on a par 3 that made everyone's jaws drop it was so nice.

Way to go GG! congrats on the nice round. Its amazing how your round can be going kind of crappy overall but you have 1 or 2 great shots and thats what matters. thats what keeps us coming back for more (abuse) in this game.

This was a TOUGH course as well.

Way to go GG.

Kevin

Nice job GolferGal! I know firsthand that those courses in FL can be HARD. The amount of water is just ridiculous sometimes.

That's great to hear GG. Glad you had fun.

Outstanding GG!! Dropping putts like that and making those sandies are great....they do the same thing on the LPGA. hmm......

Great job GG! I know it can feel a little intimidating playing with more experienced and better players but in time you'll actually come to welcome it and prefer it to a point. I tend to play up to better competition so it's actually a preference that I play with better players.

I shot a 103 today, even though I scored roughly the same as I have in recent rounds, I played much better than I have in some time, if that makes sense. Still had a few dumb shots that costs me strokes, but on the whole al my clubs very well today.

I'm in your club. If you want to read my trial and tribulations I have a real long thread on golfwrx. Search the swing/fitness/beginner subforum for my name and you'll find it. I started it back in '08.

I have put together some 9 hole rounds last year between 45 and 49, 4 or 5 of them I think. My best for 18 holes has been 107 I think.

Some big things in my experience:
Lessons from a pro that I work well with. My swing is much better then it was when I started working with him. I usd to top the ball alot so it'd take maybe 4 strokes to get near the green. Now I get the ball airborne and rarely top it. The proof fr me is that last year I dropped my 9 hole average by 7 strokes.

Getting off the tee. I need to get the ball at least 150 yards off the tee in a playable location fairly consistanty to have a shot. A great short game is nice but if it takes 4+ strokes to get into range to use it.....

Shortgame. My putting has settled down a bit and I'm starting to get some touch with my chipping. I starting to get confident that I have a shot at getting up and down when I miss a green. I've started to do it a few times lately and chip ins are nice.

Mental game. You need to learn how to ignore the score/forget bout blowups. I didn't learn this till the middle of last year. I used to pack it in after a blowup hole or self destruct when I figured out I was +3 after 4 holes. I shot a 51 for 9 a few weeks ago and my round started 6, 7, 8, all par 4s. I was able to pick up a couple bogeys and a birdie on a par 5 and leave everything else as a dbl bogey. So just play your shot and use positive self talk as you are walking to your ball. A snowman doesn't mean your round is toast.

I shot a 103 today, even though I scored roughly the same as I have in recent rounds, I played much better than I have in some time, if that makes sense. Still had a few dumb shots that costs me strokes, but on the whole al my clubs very well today.

Yeah, the dumb shots. I know all about those!

It makes perfect sense. I'm starting to notice that I am hitting more quality shots then before even if the numbers don't show it. An example would be I stuck a SW from 83 yards to 2 feet from the flag. I 1 putted for a 6 because I made a mess of things earlier. A 6 is what I should shoot on the hole basd purely on my HCP. Looking at the card it would indicate I did ok when in reality I had a real good chance of shooting an 8 on that hole.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and encouragement. I am really excited to go out and play another round. But more than that I am excited to go to the range and practice some more. I know the key to my improvement will be practice, practice, practice.

I look forward to all of us one day moving to the 'Trying to break 90' thread :clap:

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and encouragement. I am really excited to go out and play another round. But more than that I am excited to go to the range and practice some more. I know the key to my improvement will be practice, practice, practice.

I look forward to all of us one day moving to the 'Trying to break 90' thread :clap:

GG- I have something that I think would be really awesome for you to do (and for us to read about! Let's be honest- selfish motivation plays a part here)...

I have always heard that golf is a game of osmosis. That you get better by being around (and talking to) people who are good at the game. You and JB are around a lot of very good pro's and you have an awesome opportunity to visit the oven. What if you started asking each of the pro's you talk to/interact with what their single most important piece of advice would be? Maybe even aimed at people trying to break 100 or 90 or the like.

I am sure that you already do that in some way or another, but I think it would be really cool to read a thread with a bunch of quotes from pro's and their insights.

Anyways- if its a dumb idea you can just ignore it :)

played 18 at 7am today. It was under 40 degrees and 30mph winds. COLD. I shot a 110 on 4 hours of sleep. New driver was working great but everything was falling apart. My normally solid putting was even failing me. So far this year my game has taken a few major steps backwards...I'm starting to get frustrated. I'm shooting 10-12 strokes more than last year at this time. Not sure what happened...

GG- I have something that I think would be really awesome for you to do (and for us to read about! Let's be honest- selfish motivation plays a part here)...

I have always heard that golf is a game of osmosis. That you get better by being around (and talking to) people who are good at the game. You and JB are around a lot of very good pro's and you have an awesome opportunity to visit the oven. What if you started asking each of the pro's you talk to/interact with what their single most important piece of advice would be? Maybe even aimed at people trying to break 100 or 90 or the like.

I am sure that you already do that in some way or another, but I think it would be really cool to read a thread with a bunch of quotes from pro's and their insights.

It's not a dumb idea at all. I don't always get a chance to talk with the pros but if I can I will definitely ask questions and report back.

played 18 at 7am today. It was under 40 degrees and 30mph winds. COLD. I shot a 110 on 4 hours of sleep. New driver was working great but everything was falling apart. My normally solid putting was even failing me. So far this year my game has taken a few major steps backwards...I'm starting to get frustrated. I'm shooting 10-12 strokes more than last year at this time. Not sure what happened...

That's still really great considering you had little sleep and bad weather conditions.

Yeah, the dumb shots. I know all about those!

Dumb shots drive me nuts!!! :banghead: But I will reduce them I swear!!!

It makes perfect sense. I'm starting to notice that I am hitting more quality shots then before even if the numbers don't show it. An example would be I stuck a SW from 83 yards to 2 feet from the flag. I 1 putted for a 6 because I made a mess of things earlier. A 6 is what I should shoot on the hole basd purely on my HCP. Looking at the card it would indicate I did ok when in reality I had a real good chance of shooting an 8 on that hole.

If my ball was not a magnet to every water hazard I would do better. Also if I just kept my head down every shot instead of every other I too would be much better

This is very true, yesterday when I played noticably better I played with a friend is probably the best golfer I know ( or a close second). Anyway, he spend the round pumping me up, telling me Ihad a great game and just relax. It seemed to work quite well.

On another note I think I did better was that for the first time in a while *I* was not the guy in the group writing the scores down. It might be minor but without knowing how I was doing (either versus my normal or versus those I was with ) I was much more relaxed.

Taking my new swing out on the course for the first time tomorrow morning. I'll let you all know what happens.

I'm not sure if I fit in with the trying to break 100 crowd or the trying to break 90 crowd? :rotfl:

My lowest scores ever on 18 holes are 92, but right now I'm currently shooting in the 95-100 area. Just kind of getting back to golf after about a year off. I'm practicing at the range often, and chipping in the yard a couple hours every day.

Most of my wasted strokes are hitting into trouble, and putting I'd say. I need to work on getting myself out of trouble. I may make a seperate thread about that. I still am coughing up some strokes to my short game, mostly from misjudging distance on chips and pitches from time to time. I could definitley tighten up there as well.

When I started breaking 100 virtually 100% of the time, the keys were to, get off the tee good and control from the fairways. I would only hit 3 wood or shorter off the tee, and rarely hit anything higher than my 5 iron from the fair way. I was laying up on alot of par 4's even, but being consistent with a PW or GW made htting the green and 2 putting pretty routine. Using this strategy, kind of took alot of short game work out of things.

Well, the BF and I played a round of 18 yesterday. Course was a mixture of Par 4s and Par 3s, let's just say, we're giving up playing the courses for a while and spend more time at the range before anything else. It was horrible yesterday :crying: And I even lost 6 golf balls :banghead:

GC- I lost 20 balls playing 18 one time 5 years ago. I think I shot a 140...... That's why I play cheap balls under 20 a dozen. Lol.

GC- I lost 20 balls playing 18 one time 5 years ago. I think I shot a 140...... That's why I play cheap balls under 20 a dozen. Lol.

I have my Pinnacle Overruns for this very specific reason :)

It's great to see the club growing, though I'm sure most of us would love to DQ from the club :D

No time to play this weekend, I was out on the course with my son during the his match, we played behind the main group as he was not playing in the match. It allowed him to hit 2-3 drives and work on his game. I hit a couple of 3 Woods off the tee, I did not even have time to hit the range this weekend :(

Tomorrow I'm planning on playing 9 or so after work on a very short course so I think I'll stick to my 3H off the tee.

What JB said- hit to a certain distance. play occasionly with my son's FIL, he hits everything to 100 yds, and he's deadly at that distance. I've been doing that this year, and so far, it has been working very well. Requires a lot of discipline, but it's a heck of a lot better than a 50 yd pitch. At least a 100 yds is a full wedge for me.

That's still really great considering you had little sleep and bad weather conditions.

thanks GG...nice of you to say. But something happened to my swing. I lost it. Now I have to go find it again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back