Really confused about club fitting...

applegbt

Reaction score
Handicap
I have recently decided to get serious about the game again, after basically taking 4 or 5 years off. I'm 42 years old and it just dawned on me that never in my life have I actually been fit for a new set of golf clubs. So, today I took a trip to the local Golf Galaxy and hit several irons, finally deciding on a set of Callaway Diablo Edge's in graphite. Now for the fitting.

Like I said, I have never been fitted before so I didn't really know what to expect. Basically the only thing the sales guy did was grab the standard club off the rack, which happened to be a 7 iron with a stiff flex shaft. He placed a piece of marking tape on the face and had me hit 6 balls in the simulator. He then looked at the club, and each ball was hit squarely on the sweet spot that was marked on the tape. From that, and from the fact that my 7 iron was traveling about 165 yards he determined that I was standard lie, standard length, and stiff shaft. Basically, exactly what was on the shelf! This seems very odd to me. I am only 5'9" and my wrist to floor measurement is about 32.5". Based on the calculations from Golfsmith and the Ping charts, I was expecting at least 1* flat. I'm also not sure how they determine the proper flex, since he didn't really seem to measure my swing speed.

So does this seem like a proper fitting, or do you think this guy was just trying to sell a set of clubs? I will say that I did seem to be hitting it pretty flush. But I'm still skeptical for some reason. Maybe I'm thinking too much...just like I do on the course. :)

I'm no expert but it sounds like he just wanted to get his commission...

A proper fitting should take about an hour...preferably on a driving range where the fitter can look at the LM but also see actual ball flight. Also, you get a better sense of what feels better...different heads, combined with different shafts, etc.

Guys this is the ask the pro section. lets keep it clean until andy the THP Pro has had a chance to chime in.

They missed a few basic steps. It should start with the static measurements, (wrist to floor, height, grip size). From there get into the dynamic fitting (club head speed for shaft flex, then lie tape to verify the toe down effect of the clubs. I will be back this afternoon and get you some additional info.

You need a lie angle of 62* and a length of 37 on your 6 iron.
The diablo edge is a pretty good fit right off of the shelf.

Last edited:
Back