2015 Wilson Staff Duo and Duo Spin Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice Hawk, I'm excited to try the new Duo Spin. Coming in at 55 compression it appears that it would be a similar performing ball to the ChromeSoft at 58 compression. For me, it could be a matter of simply choosing the one that's more affordable.

Will be picking up a dozen soon and I'm looking forward to the feedback from others.

Nicely done, Hawk. Looking forward to thoughts on these from the guys at the #PersonalDistance event.

Interesting review, I'll have to give them a try.

Great review Ryan, look forward to trying these.

2 questions:

Will the duo spin come in yellow?
What's the price?

Nice write-up. Having played lower compression golf balls for much of the past season (including the old Duo), I will definitely be giving both of the new versions a go in 2015.

• Admin
Very nice Hawk, I'm excited to try the new Duo Spin. Coming in at 55 compression it appears that it would be a similar performing ball to the ChromeSoft at 58 compression. For me, it could be a matter of simply choosing the one that's more affordable.

Will be picking up a dozen soon and I'm looking forward to the feedback from others.

Did you skim the article? :D
Very different ball than Chrome Soft.

Excellent write up Ryan. I know guys were raving about these at #PersonalDistance so I'm excited about giving these a try.

I've been planning to get my hands on some Wilson balls. Interested to see what the PersonalDistance participants think about these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was one of my favorite balls I put in play last year. For me it's the perfect fall/spring cooler weather ball. The added spin isn't quite up there with the FG Tour or Pro V, but it is noticeable over the Duo. Love the feel off every club in the bag including the putter. I was surprised at how good it felt when putting. Durability was impressive as well. All in all a great option when looking for something in between the Duo and the FG Tour.

Great write up, I'm really looking forward to trying out the Duo Spin. Looks like there are going to be a lot of ball releases this year that'll help improve the game of a lot of golfers.

Was the feeling that the Duo was mushy due to having "0-compression"?

Did you skim the article? :D
Very different ball than Chrome Soft.

No, I didn't. 3 piece low compression ball is what I was using for calling it similar.

Perhaps some of the other technical items in the article just went over my head as I wasn't able to compare in my mind that showed a bunch of differences.

What makes it very different?

Was the feeling that the Duo was mushy due to having "0-compression"?

Not at all. Even though the ball has such a low compression it still has great feel

No, I didn't. 3 piece low compression ball is what I was using for calling it similar.

Perhaps some of the other technical items in the article just went over my head as I wasn't able to compare in my mind that showed a bunch of differences.

What makes it very different?

One is a surlyn/ionomer cover and the other is urethane.

These are the other golf balls I've been waiting for more info on.

I really believe it'll be the Duo Spin or the Chrome Soft for me this year as my full time gamer ball.

Wish I had taken a picture of the chart they drew on the board about the misnomer that high swing speed players cant benefit from lower compression balls like these....it was gold

One is a surlyn/ionomer cover and the other is urethane.

I see. I couldn't even tell you what cover the balls have that I play. I just play them and they either work for me or not.

That't too bad I guess that they are very different, was hoping it would be a comparable ball.

Wish I had taken a picture of the chart they drew on the board about the misnomer that high swing speed players cant benefit from lower compression balls like these....it was gold

I was just thinking this. And it wasn't coming from a sales rep. It was coming from the man who designed the ball. It really was gold

I see. I couldn't even tell you what cover the balls have that I play. I just play them and they either work for me or not.

That't too bad I guess that they are very different, was hoping it would be a comparable ball.

Easiest way to remember it is there is urethane and surlyn. Urethane is considered high spin tour level and surlyn is everything else. Sadly some view premium based on price which is incorrect. The Chrome Soft you are using is urethane. Using an example from another line that you have tried, the Bridgestone e6 and e7 are surlyn. Hope that helps.

Easiest way to remember it is there is urethane and surlyn. Urethane is considered high spin tour level and surlyn is everything else. Sadly some view premium based on price which is incorrect. The Chrome Soft you are using is urethane. Using an example from another line that you have tried, the Bridgestone e6 and e7 are surlyn. Hope that helps.

It does, thanks. Also helps to see why the other new lower compression offering is getting such rave reviews for the technology and performance at that given price point.

Since I've had no qualms playing balls such as the Q-Star & e5 (which I'm assuming are also surlyn), if this ball came in at a solid price (sub $25) and outperformed those others then it's still worthy of a try for me I believe.

It does, thanks. Also helps to see why the other new lower compression offering is getting such rave reviews for the technology and performance at that given price point.

Since I've had no qualms playing balls such as the Q-Star & e5 (which I'm assuming are also surlyn), if this ball came in at a solid price (sub $25) and outperformed those others then it's still worthy of a try for me I believe.

To the best of my knowledge e5 is urethane.

It's a good ball. Not sure on price point, but in the $20-25 range it's a solid option.

The most anticipated ball release for me in a long time. I've played the Duo since it's release because it just worked for me.

I knew about the Duo Spin, but had no idea there would be a new 2 piece Duo. I hope it fits me as well as the original.

Back