What part of your game causes you to give up the most strokes?

LOST BALLS.

And I can lose them from anywhere.

The past couple of rounds, like most times, the short game. I'm aware that odds are I'm only hitting about 30% GIR, and when my scrambling is good I'm shooting in the mid-80's or better...but when I'm not, or when I'm putting poorly, there seems to be no limit to what I can score!

For me it's tee game.
But, last part of the season, my tee shots have gotten better and better.

I'm optimistic heading into 2015!

Honestly it's those holes I just blow up. 9 strokes on a par 4 :(

Approach shots on long par 4's are my weakness.
I miss too many greens on those long approaches(175+) by just a little.
Then I rely on my short game and putting to get up and down for par.
If I could only get more birdie putt chances.....

Can I say my driver, irons and wedges at the moment haha. I think its my chipping around the green that is the most penalising, I step up and have a practise swing then think commit to the shot then I go a head and give up on the swing and usually duff it or come up real short, making putts longer than they should be. Just lately my swing hasn't been great, I really need to go for my lesson.

Great question! It took a while to think of the answer and it turns out par 3 tee shots are my downfall. I think that too often I go after pins I just shouldn't. I think I'm going to try play for the middle of the green for the next wee while.

If I had to pick one specific thing it would have to be the driver off the tee as when it is struggling I will usually drop back to my 3W or 5W off the tee, but that will then leave me with longer approaches, putting extra pressure on other parts of my game, so ultimately it is my driver that can cause me to give up the most shots

But, like a lot of us I would guess, consistency is a big factor in every round

Definitely my short game specifically putting but my wedge play is far from stellar. I spent a large portion of my time early on with driver and irons so I'm pretty solid off the tee and with iron play. This year I'm going to simplify my wedge play by just keeping the 54° ATV in the bag and get as much time on the carpet with the flatsick this winter and spend more time putting and less time being a ranger rick.

stupidity, trying to make that very low % shot when there is no need to try it.

For me, it's all tee game. I still have a two way miss and it drives me nuts. I'm at the point where I'll take 180-200 off the tee as long as I'm in the fairway, but it bothers me that I have a nice new driver and if I try to poke one out there, I'm in the woods on either side. That's one thing I'm going to be working on at lessons this spring for sure.

I believe par 3's are my main nemesis, most are bogeyed or dare do I say doubled. For whatever reason, I tried to do something fancy and end up in a heap of trouble. Yes year, no outlook,new play.... Birdie holes now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is really off the tee...lot of penalties really kill my score. I mean, there's a ton of areas, but if I could remove penalty strokes (hello scramble!) I'd be in a much better place.

Not putting it close inside 75 yards. Need to work on those 1/3 and 1/2 wedge shots more.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mine is short pitches or chipping, I'm so inconsistent right now and its costing me quite a few strokes.

Chipping, more specifically short side chips, I either hit it long or come up way short.

Putting. It's not so much the 8-10 footers, but it's the long lag putts that I fail to get into tap-in range. I think lag putts will be on top of my task list this year.

I have a couple of weaknesses.

From the tee: My driver, 3w and 3h. I’m missing way too much fairways. On holes that are 350+ yards, a solid drive should leave me a wedge in to give myself a birdie opp, but I find myself in the trees way too often, struggling to make bogey. If I hit a 5i from the tee and two wedges in, I know I have a bogey 8 out of 10 times, but I want to do better.

From the deck/rough: 3w, 3h, 4i, 5i, 6i. I’m giving up a lot of shots by thinning the crap out of the ball when I’m hitting one of the longer clubs. And when I do hit them on the face, I tend to hook then. On shots longer than 165 yards, I rarely go for the green, often choosing to lay-up instead. If I was hitting more solid long shots, I’ll give myself a lot more birdie and par putts.

Luckily my short game is pretty solid, it’s what keeps my game from falling apart. I plan on visiting the range a lot more than I did last year. I feel a lot of the issues are just a matter of hitting more shots, getting familiar with the length and feel of the club. And maybe, just maybe, I’ll squeeze in a couple of lessons as well…

It would be interesting to see the stats: lots of short game and tee problems are reported. It would be interesting to see how the responses vary across the handicap ranges.

Getting off the tee for me has been the main struggle.. When I start becoming erratic off the tee, it is a struggle for me to shoot well. It is also part of the game, I have worked on the most and now I am turning my focus to the short game.

All parts of the physical aspect of the game needs improvment to save strokes but my worst enemy is mental. Most of the season I would get mad and blow up when I would duff one which caused me to make several more bad shots after that and lose many strokes which by end of the season I had major improvement on already so plan on continuing that. Also at times I would lose concentration and fall out of the zone of having my head in the shot as the day would go on so I hope to continue to improve that as well.

I lose strokes off the tee and my next problem area would be like Jimmy's, leaving myself putts that are too long. What to do? I am starting my season off with remainder of lessons I ended last year with. I also joined a course that will allow me to get out a TON to work on my game.

Right now it's the pitch shot. Catching them fat and thin from time to time. I hate it. Been going to the range everyday this week trying to fix it.

I am just not consistent enough with my ball striking. I'll hit a great drive down the middle and the next one will be a gigantic slice. Same with the irons. I'm ok around the greens, and pretty good in the sand.

I just signed up with a facility here for 3 months unlimited practice and am signing up for a lesson package this week. Hopefully it will all get through my thick skull and make a big difference.

Back