Adams XTD Driver Review

Well just pulled the trigger on a mint 10.5/stiff on the bay with cover and wrench shipped for 129. Figured the 99+shipping with no head cover was about the same deal... Can't wait for it to get here.

Having seen the head cover (had the 5W) I would pay an extra $30 just for that.

to your previous question, I always go for more loft... but that is just low swing speed me.

I just got a excellent used 12* stiff XTD with headcover for $80 shipped off ebay the other day. Should be in tomorrow. I've been pondering this driver for a while and looking forward to giving it a try. If nothing else, I can use the shaft in my SLDR as well and the shaft costs more than the price I paid. Come on warmer weather!

No good reason to in any way have another driver in my lineup but this one is just different enough to peak my interest. Jman's excellent review was very well presented, darn it. A bonus with this one would be that the red tie shaft/ adapter will fit in my SLDR. Hoping I AM CORRECT ON THAT IF I get one.

No good reason to in any way have another driver in my lineup but this one is just different enough to peak my interest. Jman's excellent review was very well presented, darn it. A bonus with this one would be that the red tie shaft/ adapter will fit in my SLDR. Hoping I AM CORRECT ON THAT IF I get one.

Yep, the adapter is the same.

My used XTD showed up today, but darn if there's snow outside, can't wait to get it to the range to run it through it's paces!
I think we need to get together sooner rather than later for some heated range time/driver testing of our own!

Done. Ebay purchase this evening . MY MAX BID ended up taking me about $9.00 higher than my best guess as to what the final number would be. Ended up at $89.88 plus shipping. At least it came with the head cover. Have never hit the red tie, cold weather range ball session will be happening soon. Plan to give my thoughts on where this one falls in my current collection - tie for #1 is R11S with a Kua 39 or stock shaft SLDR, then next it is my Supertri with Aldila Phenom 50.

Hoping the Adams and Red Tie is at least a fun keeper.

Got the 10.5 delivered today, bought as used very good condition $89. I AM unable to detect any signs that this club has ever been hit, 0ther than the plastic was not on the head. The head cover also looks and smells new and it is a real beauty. One of the best looking head covers out there IMO. The red tie shaft passed my in house test, has a good feel to it. At this point in time a 65 gram shaft is not usually what I prefer in the driver, but this one feels very comfortable. I have never had any need to loft up from a 10.5 head but will check all that at the range tomorrow to get my loft setting before I REMOVE THE Iomic grip and reinstall it with 4 wraps plus the two sided tape. I hope the STANDARD setting is where I can stay, that way the shaft logo orientation will stay straight down and not visible. The slot will not bother me, like the dull black head and slightly different shade of black going up top to the slot area.

Hit mine for first tie at range this morning. Hit a lot of balls at 3 settings - standard 10.5, 11 and 11.5. IT was not good weather, 46 degrees and and raining gently. The red tie at 65 grams is heavier than MY 0THER DRIVER SHAFTS by quite a bit but it did not feel heavy at all and was very comfortable to swing . At this point in time was a little worried that the shaft would play like a very strong regular since the shaft spec is fairly low torque ( 3.2) and the 65 grams weight. IMO the shaft is pretty true to flex, feels like a slightly strong regular and is does not give me any feeling that I have to swing more aggressively or force more effort to make the shaft do it's job. AS A REFERENCE I am 69 and don't want to have a driver shaft that forces me to work hard on the finishing holes when mild fatigue may be a factor. For me the red tie passed that concern test, it is very comfortable to swing.

I was not seeing anything to lead me to believe that this was longer than my R11s, SLDR or T. Made Supertri, but having said that it is very close to the distance of all those. Unlike quite a few I have never come across a driver that delivered meaningful and significant distance increases and I have hit many of them. My typical distance at the range is 225 to 235 carry with an occasional 240 carry. Today in rain and cold my longest carries with the newer range balls was near 225 and the older balls were getting 210 and less.

Forgiveness - My mishits are not significantly away from the sweet spot. From past experience here my opinions will be different than some. This one is forgiving, having said that, for me, it is no more or less forgiving than my other drivers, including my SLDR.

Setting = YET TO BE DETERMINED. For me this was the biggest shocker. I usually find my setting of choice very quickly, then I am done with that. Decided no way will I be above 11.5 and leaning to 11 or maybe standard 10.5. Need more time to figure this out.

This is a very good performing driver with a excellent stock shaft and it has a great look.

Hit my 10.5 again at range today. Colder today 35 degrees but very sunny, felt warmer than temp. My ball striking and distance was as good as it gets today even at 35 degrees. Saturday I easily eliminated lofting up to 11.5 as a possible setting. For me it delivers way to high of a ball flight at 11.5 and the amount of roll is less. Given the extremely high trajectory at 11.5 setting I did not even try to loft up to 12 since it would have been a waste of time. The trajectory I LIKED THE BEST WAS the 10.5 standard , that produced a very acceptable mid high trajectory but the predominant ball flight was a 5 to 10 yard fade. I don't mind a little fade action with driver but there were some 15 yard fades in there that no likey. I had to do some serious thinking since the 10.5 trajectory was absolutely perfect but decided to loft up to 11 mainly to get A slightly closed face and eliminate the shot that fades to much. THE DOWNSIDE IS THE TRAJECTORY AT THE 11 degree setting for me is high, not crazy crazy high but high enough to make you conclude you would not like it to be any higher. The closed face at the 11 setting will deliver the occasional left shot but as a seasoned golfer hitting the driver way left is not frequent.

In my opinion if someone does not have problems with getting good height with a driver this one with the red tie shaft will perform best if you don't loft up more than 11 degrees and really no big need to go above standard 10.5 setting. If this is your profile and if the red tie is your shaft IN MY VIEW YOU LIKELY WOULD not be well served by the 12 degree head or lofting up any more than 11 degrees.

I do not like to tee the ball high, preferred height is less than half the ball above crown, this one does not have what I would call a shallow face but it is not as deep as my Taylormade drivers so MY TEE HEIGHT WITH this is a little lower.

No complaints with this driver, I like it and it will be a keeper In a perfect world I would prefer a 45.50 length driver but this shaft is to heavy for that and after adding 4 wraps plus the 2 sided tape to the Iomic grip and then a 1/2 inch extension it would yield "at least" a D5 swing weight and I don't feel it would be beneficial at all to tamper with the feel of this driver.

Not much interest posted for the xtd for quite a while. The December 2014 interest in this one that a few here posted must have been quickly abandoned.

Not much interest posted for the xtd for quite a while. The December 2014 interest in this one that a few here posted must have been quickly abandoned.
Maybe they became distracted with the shiny stuff Santa brought them? Hopefully the weather has allowed them a chance to hit a few and they will post the results.

Missed your previous post. How's your XTD working for you?

I'm still finding fairways with my 12° XTD. Between being a sweeper and teeing a bit low, I see a mid-high ball flight vs a mid flight with my 10.5° 9064ls.

Not even close, been the holidays and bad weather, can't wait to put the XTD in play this weekend.

I've been hitting both of mine almost daily. Loving this driver. Still tweaking on my swing. Has nothing to do with the XTD. It does a great job even when I don't.

A lot is that it's last year's release and also the recent fate of Adams likely plays a role too. Terrific driver head, but it's new release time so that where the eyes and talk always ends up this time of year. I still need to grab a 12 just for grins.

A lot is that it's last year's release and also the recent fate of Adams likely plays a role too. Terrific driver head, but it's new release time so that where the eyes and talk always ends up this time of year. I still need to grab a 12 just for grins.

what did i miss? the only thing i recall seeing was that kenny perry left them for callaway.

i want to build another driver just for fun, and the xtd is a consideration. i would be pairing it with an aldila tour blue 65 shaft. high launch shaft, with low spin head.

Still gaming it. Just ran out of things to say.

Main feeling right now is that it's very nice and all performance metrics are very good, but still doesn't have that it factor that makes me want to commit. I can't figure out what it is.

what did i miss? the only thing i recall seeing was that kenny perry left them for callaway.

i want to build another driver just for fun, and the xtd is a consideration. i would be pairing it with an aldila tour blue 65 shaft. high launch shaft, with low spin head.

They are being internally murdered by their parent brand.

I have a 9* that I picked up about 10 days ago. Weather has been nasty here, but I am itching to hit it. Wanted a 10.5*, but lefties can't be choosers and I got a really good deal on it. I think I should still be able to get a pretty decent launch out of the 9*, though.

Because of your posts (and others here), I went and purchased the Adams XTD Driver (LH, 10.5, regular flex) two Adams XTD Ti fairway woods (LH 3 and 5 woods, regular flex) and an Adams XTD 4 Hybrid (regular flex). Previously I had some Cleveland 588 clubs in my bag (driver, 3 wood, 5 wood and 3 hybrid) and was looking for some adjustable clubs to tinker with this spring. Since the weather here in northern KY hasn't been very cooperative, I've only hit them indoors (World of Sport, Florence KY) ... hopefully we get temps in the high 40's here this weekend and I'll be outside giving them a good workout. I'll be sure to keep you (and others) posted on my XTD activity in the coming weeks ...

Mike

Good luck with them Mike.

Still gaming it. Just ran out of things to say.

Main feeling right now is that it's very nice and all performance metrics are very good, but still doesn't have that it factor that makes me want to commit. I can't figure out what it is.

One of the biggest crimes in the golf industry INHO

Because of your posts (and others here), I went and purchased the Adams XTD Driver (LH, 10.5, regular flex) two Adams XTD Ti fairway woods (LH 3 and 5 woods, regular flex) and an Adams XTD 4 Hybrid (regular flex). Previously I had some Cleveland 588 clubs in my bag (driver, 3 wood, 5 wood and 3 hybrid) and was looking for some adjustable clubs to tinker with this spring. Since the weather here in northern KY hasn't been very cooperative, I've only hit them indoors (World of Sport, Florence KY) ... hopefully we get temps in the high 40's here this weekend and I'll be outside giving them a good workout. I'll be sure to keep you (and others) posted on my XTD activity in the coming weeks ...

Mike
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

I agree with that. I have not seen your typical driver trajectory profile and all are different, but I got the 10.5 and tried it at 11 and 11.5. The 11.5 setting was quickly dismissed as an option since it produced " over the moon " trajectory which would very likely yield monster carry numbers in down wind situations, but in all other conditions would produce less distance. It was neat to watch the flight but when the ball starts to come down it was close to vertical straight drop scenario.

It actually makes me hate TaylorMade a little bit. Or maybe it's adidas. Whoever it is, the golf world is losing a great brand. I said it last year, and I'll say it again - Adams is one of only two or three brands whom I could comfortably game a whole bag from, if you include Yes! putters.

Someone said the exact same thing to me yesterday, but changed the word murdered to neutered.

It actually makes me hate TaylorMade a little bit. Or maybe it's adidas. Whoever it is, the golf world is losing a great brand. I said it last year, and I'll say it again - Adams is one of only two or three brands whom I could comfortably game a whole bag from, if you include Yes! putters.

An event like #THPLegacy or #TheGrandaddy might be a bit difficult for you then. :D

Maybe they became distracted with the shiny stuff Santa brought them? Hopefully the weather has allowed them a chance to hit a few and they will post the results.

Missed your previous post. How's your XTD working for you?

I'm still finding fairways with my 12° XTD. Between being a sweeper and teeing a bit low, I see a mid-high ball flight vs a mid flight with my 10.5° 9064ls.

I like the XTD, MY FIRST TWO posts on it are just a page back from here. Since then I have hit it about 4 other times at the range only. Lately I have been hitting my 10.5 XTD against my SLDR and against my R11S. The SLDR carries about 5-7 yards further and the R11S Carries maybe 5 yards farther. I really like my 10.5 xtd , and it is a definite keeper. Have it set at 11 degrees, it was a very close call between the standard 10.5 setting and the 11 degrees, but for now I went to the 11 degree setting only because it produced fade action at 10.5 which I don't mind but at times it could produce close to 15 yards of fade which is more than I want. So far going up to 11 gives me mostly straight to slight draw flight and at times some itsy bitsy fade flight. AT 11.5 setting the XTD gives me unacceptable moon shot trajectory, have not even tried it set up to 12 because the 11.5 was higher than high for me.
I very much like the XTD and the feel/ performance of the red tie shaft. Soon I intend to give the red tie a go in my SLDR TO SEE HOW IT PERFORMS. My one minor complaint about the XTD is it is only 45 inch length, I wish it was 45.5 and I THINK THAT IS THE MAIN REASON the XTD is only slightly shorter in distance than my SLDR OR R11S.

Back