As a beginner, how can you tell you have the right putter?

Putters are like women... You might date a bunch of them before you find the right one, in my life I've been fortunate to find the right woman, but still haven't found the right putter. Good luck on your putter "dating" journey....

Dax

I'd say try as many as you can, and buy whatever gives you the most control.

Last night I bought a new putter. I had tried out the TaylorMade Ghost Spider and though it was the right one for me. But before I plunked down $200 on that monstrosity, I decided to hit a bunch of other putters in the putting area at Golfsmith.

It turned out a TM White Smoke IN-12 with a 35" shaft was a much better fit for me. With the long shots, I was getting closer both in lining up correctly and in distance--at 20'-30' I was missing by inches to one side or the other and pretty consistently reaching the hole without badly overshooting. It was the putter that just happened to "speak" to me. After I found it, I tried it and the Ghost Spider side-by-side and decided I liked the blade better.

Putters are like women... You might date a bunch of them before you find the right one, in my life I've been fortunate to find the right woman, but still haven't found the right putter. Good luck on your putter "dating" journey....

Dax

Or in the OP's case, men - since her screen name is "newtogolfgirl" :alien:

Metaphor well taken though!

Or in the OP's case, men - since her screen name is "newtogolfgirl" :alien:

Metaphor well taken though!

My bad, I didn't even notice the OP was a woman...

J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with a lot of the replies...my opinion is not too scientific, just try as many as possible and find the one that feels comfortable to you and gives you the most confidence in your putting. And of course, have it fit to you for length. Nobody is gonna be laughing at you when you are sinking putts from all over the green.

Well I broke down and made an appointment for a putter fitting at club champion. Part of my frustration is how long the stock putters are, they just feel so damn long and I can't seem to find one short enough at the big box stores in my area, so I figured maybe they can help me narrow down what is best for me. I am a bit apprehensive because it seem "over the top" for a beginner, but I figure I will learn something from it. Crossing fingers!! :)

Back