Help me finish my bag.

CarstenBF

Reaction score
Handicap
Ahoy folks.

So my golf season has really taken off. As I've mentioned on a few occasions I recently took up golf again after a long break. Picked up some cheap X16's and a driver during winter. Threw in 3 wedges and a putter when spring arrived and off I went.

My irons are 3-PW, but ditched the 3 and 4i as I've yet to learn how to hit em properly. Or well, longer than my 5i anyways. So my bag goes from driver straight to 5i and I'm kind of struggling on the par 5's and long par 4's.

So I'd like some feedback on how to fill the gap. I have three slots available as is. But all this FW and hybrid stuff is making my head spin. Will a 5w be longer or shorter than a 3H? That sort of stuff. Not so much interested in brand and model, but rather what types of clubs to look for. I'll most likely be getting the additions one at a time, but it'd still be nice to have some sort of plan to shoot for, so I don't end up getting stuff I feel like replacing in a few months in order to get the gaps to fit.

So to put it shortly, what would you be looking to get if you were to fill the gap between a 12* driver and a 27* 5i?

(again, room for 3 clubs in the bag)

Thanks in advance
-Carsten

Help me finish my bag.

Id get a 5w (19*) and a 4 hybrid (24*) and pick up another wedge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allrighty. I think 5 wedges might be a bit much. However as I use a carry bag, settling for 13 clubs is worth considering. :act-up:

(have my eye on a used 17* G10 4w btw)

I carry a 3W and 5W, but that's because I've never hit a hybrid and can control my FW woods well. I have heard that hybrids are definitely easier to hit, especially from anywhere but the fairway, so I'd look into a 3H and 4H possibly. I think 3 wedges are fine. I am actually only carrying 2 if you count my niblick as a wedge.

I have a Launcher 17, Adams A7 3h and Wilson Fybrid 4h(that goes in and out wiht my G10 4iron) if you are looking at a 17 degree g10, I would follow that with a 23 degree hybrid

How about a 17 degree 3-wood, a 21 degree 4-wood or Hybrid and a 24 degree Hybrid and keep your present wedges?

OR

Go with a 15 degree 3-wood, a 18 degree 4-wood or Hybrid, a 21 degree Hybrid, a 24 degree Hybrid and drop one of the wedges?

:confused2:

That's my 2/100ths of a dollar.

-JP

4w
7w
4h

I had a similar problem - couldn't hit my 4i, reasonably happy with my driver. Driver is 10.5, 5i is 25 degrees. How best to fill the middle?

What I bought:
16 degree 3w (Callaway Diablo)
18.5 degree 5w (Callaway Diablo)
20.5 degree 3h (Cleveland Launcher)
23 degree 4h (Cleveland Launcher)

What I subsequently learned/think:
After playing all four clubs, I'm increasingly convinced that I got it wrong. If I were in your position, buying this year, I'd pick up a 17 degree (+/- half a degree) four wood and a hybrid somewhere between 22 and 23 degrees. And that would be it. Carry 13 clubs, pick up a niblick, work on your 4i.... what you don't need is three options that will all hit the ball in the same general distance vicinity. Unless you're likely to stick it on the green from 200 yards out (and lord knows I am not, so consider my advice for what little it's worth) I'd pick up two clubs, rather than three, and keep a slot open. 20 or 30 yard gaps on the long end of your bag aren't the worst thing in the world to have, and I personally pull either the 5w or the 3h most rounds. The choice is usually determined by whether the course has thick rough or "rough" that looks more like a suburban lawn - if the latter, I find that I can play my fairway woods a little better.

It really depends on your yardage gaps. You can see what I did in my signature.

If I had to do it over again, I would probably keep everything the same except for the 3W. I would demo some 4W's and different 3W's.

The FY-Brid line says that they have seamless gapping between the hybrids and the irons, but for me that isn't really the case. The 4h plays longer than my 4i and the 5h plays longer that my 5i. They also fly a bit higher. This is undoubtedly due to the fact that I have an easier time hitting the ball with them.

Unless you're extremely confident with your driver, I'd recommend carrying a 3 wood in your bag to fall back on when tighter tee shots are needed on shorter par 4s.

I use a 15 degree 3wood, and have been switching out an 18 degree wood and a 21 degree hybrid...

Great replies, thanks all.

I'll try out the used G10 4W for starters then, it's quite cheap. Also demo day coming up Sunday.

To answer one of those questions, the 5w should be longer than a 3h.

My recommendation would be:

3h or 4h
5 w
3 w

I go from 10.5* driver to G10 4w (17.5*) to G10 3h (21*) and 4h (24*).

Great replies, thanks all.

I'll try out the used G10 4W for starters then, it's quite cheap. Also demo day coming up Sunday.

don't over look the launcher 3w HT which is 17 degrees(same as 4 wood)

Re: Help me finish my bag.

What do you swing/make contact more consistently with? Hybrids or woods? If woods, then think about a 3-5-7 wood combo. If hybrids, then I'd say a 2-3-4 or 1-3+-4+ hybrid setup. If you can use them both easily, I like my 17* 3 wood and 3 and 4 hybrid combination. The main thought is what do you hit well and close the gap best with.

Good luck on your decision.

If your struggling to get to greens on long par 4's with a driver and 5 iron I'd work on things before buying to many clubs long distance clubs. I would look at something to get off the tee better with such as a 3W-5W, and a Hybrid that is about 2 clubs longer than your 5 iron. I'd maybe even ditch the driver for awhile.

What do you swing/make contact more consistently with?
Not really sure, as I've close to zero experience with both. Hit my driver pretty well though. In fact I'd claim my forte is off the tee, yet I'm struggling with length (and shanks) in the long irons.

If your struggling to get to greens on long par 4's with a driver and 5 iron I'd work on things before buying to many clubs long distance clubs.
Yeah I see what you mean. I was however mostly referring to the hardest hole on my home course, a 440 yard par 4. I hate that hole! But I agree with what you're saying, which is why I'd try pick up a 4W for starters and see how things pan out.

I would look at something to get off the tee better with such as a 3W-5W
As stated above I (usually) don't have issues off the tee with the driver. (bet Nemesis is coming for me now :act-up:)

Last edited:
I struggled as well with long irons so i added a 3h,4h and actually just picked up a 2h that I havent tried yet. I have enough confidence in my 3h that I rarely will swing the 3w off the deck because I ususally cant get just over 200 with the 3h. The hybrid is one of the best clubs for a hacker like myself. I use them for bump n runs around the green all the time with good success.

Re: Help me finish my bag.

Not really sure, as I've close to zero experience with both. Hit my driver pretty well though. In fact I'd claim my forte is off the tee, yet I'm struggling with length (and shanks) in the long irons.

Fairway woods are good off the short grass or a fluffy lie in the rough, but aren't the easiest to pick out of the tall grass if you're down in the stuff. Hybrids can be used about anywhere. They also have different swings to use them right. Woods have a more flat, sweeping swing. Swinging a hybrid is very similar to an iron shot (a more upright attack angle). When it comes time to demo, make sure to take swings with both off the tee and from the deck.

Thanks, will do.

Btw, just found out that the grips on my irons are way too small for me. I'm hoping to see improvement with new grips the right size.

<sigh> .. one more thing to spend $$ on. Also need shoes, and ...

i think its down to your yardages really. its been said before theres no point getting clubs that are roughly the same give or take. also, you cant always work off your best possible yardage with a club, you need to look at what you hit on average.

you can see my set up below, but you need to find what works for you. hit some hybrids vs. fairway woods. for me the hybrid was easier to hit than a 3 iron and worked from pretty much anywhere on the course.

with regards to wedge set up, after reading phill mickelsons secrets of the short game i am almost exclusively using my 58 wedge from 100 yards and in. i have a 52 for longer full shots and a standard PW@48*. again its a personal thing but i find I dont need an extra wedge and even the 52 doesnt get much use.

good luck with getting its complete. its a great feeling when you dont have the urge to change anything...:)

I would add a 3W, 20*& 23* hybrid but go to your local shops and hit everything yu can get your hands on and find what is comfortable for you.

I'd go with a couple of hybrids to start....20* & 24*. Then I'd consider a 3 wood....maybe 15* or a 4 wood 17*. I suggest going to your local golf store or range and hitting some hybrids and fairway woods just to see which you like best. I have 1 hybrid and I may get rid of it. The better my swing has gotten, the more I don't like it.

Ok, got my G10 4W. What a great club!

Now looking for a G10 hybrid. They come in 18, 21 and 24* by the looks of it. Now wondering which one to shoot for. I guess the 24* ?

Back