The Official 2014 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So being relatively new to the sport, I find it pretty amazing that each team supplies it's own balls to play offense with. I had no idea this happened until this story broke. What's the reasoning behind this as surely this is open to abuse as has apparently happened here. Why don't the league supply the balls? And just so I can get this right, to everyone that isn't a Patriots fan, this is cheating right?

Interesting. I hadn't heard the overinflate story. Fwiw, wouldnt that do the exact opposite of what the Patriots were trying to do by under inflating the ball?

Semantically, you're correct. But committing a penalty in game is different somehow. I wish I knew how to vocalize it, but it is.

I am also pretty sure the Original Rodgers interview had him saying he didn't think their should be a max inflation not that he exceeded it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also pretty sure the Original Rodgers interview had him saying he didn't think their should be a max inflation not that he exceeded it.

Aaron Rodgers is always right. Everybody else is just failing to do their jobs.

I'm not a blind fan. I'm super objective ;)

Interesting. I hadn't heard the overinflate story. Fwiw, wouldnt that do the exact opposite of what the Patriots were trying to do by under inflating the ball?

Semantically, you're correct. But committing a penalty in game is different somehow. I wish I knew how to vocalize it, but it is.

Can you hear that sound? It's logic rapidly fleeing the scene of your argument.

So being relatively new to the sport, I find it pretty amazing that each team supplies it's own balls to play offense with. I had no idea this happened until this story broke. What's the reasoning behind this as surely this is open to abuse as has apparently happened here. Why don't the league supply the balls? And just so I can get this right, to everyone that isn't a Patriots fan, this is cheating right?

Mark, it's a complete joke. It is the most over officiated game on the planet. 3+ hours to play a game that only is an hour long is ridiculous. I will say I do watch it qute a bit and enjoy it thoroughly.

Can you hear that sound? It's logic rapidly fleeing the scene of your argument.
So anytime a player commits a foul in a game, it's the same as taking steroids and money from bookies?

So anytime a player commits a foul in a game, it's the same as taking steroids and money from bookies?

Letting a bit of air out of a ball and juicing/taking money from a bookie are hardly the same. Please tell me you are not inferring that and using that to bolster your point?!?

Mark, it's a complete joke. It is the most over officiated game on the planet. 3+ hours to play a game that only is an hour long is ridiculous. I will say I do watch it qute a bit and enjoy it thoroughly.

Yeah, but that's mostly due to the commercials, surely. I enjoy it. I become a bigger fan by the week. I just find this whole ball scenario very strange. I don't know of any other sport where the teams supply their own ball (apart from golf team events I guess).

In-game penalties are committed by players and are generally part of the game. For the defensive holding example, there's a pretty thin line between holding and good defense, and it's a judgment call by a referee in most cases.

Intentionally deflating footballs to less than the set standard is an intentional refusal by an entire organization to follow a clearly-defined rule. There is no judgment call -- the balls are either properly inflated or they aren't.

Letting a bit of air out of a ball and juicing/taking money from a bookie are hardly the same. Please tell me you are not inferring that and using that to bolster your point?!?
You said an in game penalty, one that in many instances happens out of relflex and not deliberately, is comprable to a team having their equipment approved, then altered it to non conforming status after it being approved.

In-game penalties are committed by players and are generally part of the game. For the defensive holding example, there's a pretty thin line between holding and good defense, and it's a judgment call by a referee in most cases.

Intentionally deflating footballs to less than the set standard is an intentional refusal by an entire organization to follow a clearly-defined rule. There is no judgment call -- the balls are either properly inflated or they aren't.

Lawyers are generally smarter than mechanical engineers when it comes to words.

Some are but not all. A guy with a handful of a jersey is hardly a judgement call.

Some are but not all. A guy with a handful of a jersey is hardly a judgement call.
But you're saying that an in game penalty is the same as deliberately and secretly altering equipment to nonconforming levels to make the game easier

Yeah, but that's mostly due to the commercials, surely. I enjoy it. I become a bigger fan by the week. I just find this whole ball scenario very strange. I don't know of any other sport where the teams supply their own ball (apart from golf team events I guess).

Mark, imagine union having time outs, 30 or 40 odd seconds between plays to work out what they are going to do, 3 different teams etc etc. Strangely compelling all the same.

But you're saying that an in game penalty is the same as deliberately and secretly altering equipment to nonconforming levels to make the game easier

It is a lot closer than taking steroids and match fixing!

It is a lot closer than taking steroids and match fixing!
Match fixing is totally different. Point shaving is lowest level of hell.

But is secretly altering your equipment for a competitive advantage that much different than using chemicals to give you talents you don't really have?

Voice of reason. ..thank gawd

Match fixing is totally different. Point shaving is lowest level of hell.

But is secretly altering your equipment for a competitive advantage that much different than using chemicals to give you talents you don't really have?

They slightly deflated the ball. The second and third words are the most important. Injecting an illegal substance to get bigger, faster, stronger and better endurance is not even in the same town, let alone street.

They slightly deflated the ball. The second and third words are the most important. Injecting an illegal substance to get bigger, faster, stronger and better endurance is not even in the same town, let alone street.

The Patriots secretly put a needle inside of a football to remove a substance that made the football harder to secure in wet conditions. They artificially made their players hands stronger by taking air out of the ball.

Edit: Allegedly.

The Patriots secretly put a needle inside of a football to remove a substance that made the football harder to secure in wet conditions. They artificially made their players hands stronger by taking air out of the ball.

ahem..allegedly ... investigation is not complete :angel:

so much better than those stupid Mayor bets, i will bet you a case lobsters vs. a case of whatever they have is Seattle = lame
It's rain. All Seattle has is rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back