Brand Talk - Wilson Staff

We also asked why not go after the big name on tour. They were "close" but couldn't get the W/S logo enough exposure. They feel more comfortable spreading the funds around to up and comers to expand the brand instead of putting all their eggs in one basket. Risky imo but could pay off if guys like Merritt and Steele and Streelman catch fire

It is risky, but I think it's a bit safer than throwing all the money you can at a big name golfer. Doesn't leave you much wiggle room when going after web.com and Euro tour players.

If I remember correctly from their talks, they have a pretty solid position in the Euro market right now (can't remember the number) and they are just now beginning to invest in increasing their market share in the US. Maybe JB can confirm/deny that better than I can.

I don't think people realize how much of a hole they've had to dig out of since the past CEO basically ran things into the ground

Compared to 5 years ago, they have grown and appealed to me at more with their offerings. I didn't like the feel and sound of their lineup last year but I'm looking forward to trying this years clubs.

This was a good watch. I think the correct intent is there but something has still gotta change although I'm unsure what it is. I viewed Cobra in a similar light until 3 years ago with the AMP cell line and where they've grown since then.

I think the D200 line still lacks in the looks department so I personally just don't have that urge to try it out.

I was thinking the same thing Cookie. A few years ago I didn't think Cobra made good equipment, almost like a second tier company. I would even go as far as to say a few years ago I didn't even like the looks of the Cobra equipment as well, but now I want to hit just about everything they come out with. Cobra has completely emerged and changed my mind. I am starting to see some of the same things from Wilson Staff but they still have a little ways to go. I am really excited to see what they have in store over the next 1-2 years.

One of the biggest things that helped Cobra out was signing Fowler, that brought a lot more attention to them. Poulter is a well known figure on tour as well. There are a few golfers that dedicated golf fans would recognize on the Wilson staff, but a casual fan they may not put any names with Wilson Staff and have a desire to try them. Hopefully Wilson can attract a big name to sign with them and help out their marketing.

Have to admit I am genuinely curious about this. So for you it is about tour validation and tour players you connect with? I truly get that and think more feel that way. Although their staff has more wins than Rickie (by a huge mile), nobody would think they move the needle more.

I thought the way THPers were raving about the different parts of their line got me excited (so much so that I was playing the D200 irons). Completely understand the tour thing, just not sure I understand the THPer thing, as so much of the feedback has been positive on the new line.

Not tour validation but tour exposure. Winning or not Fowler moves the needle both for Cobra and Puma. Add in the Red Bull tie in and he just gets attention.

The Wilson feedback has been good but those threads don't stay near the top with constant discussion to stay a forefront in my mind. Additionally, I play with a ton of THP'ers and no one is gaming any of their recent gear so short of buying without trying, I'm not gonna hit it.

I think that right now the average THPer or prosumer is much more in tune with the quality and array of Wilson Staff products, whereas the average golfer has no idea that Wilson is making really great clubs. As such, the name doesn't carry a lot of panache out on the course. That could be also because it's not really available up here, so take my opinion for what it's worth.
They really seem passionate about what they are doing, and they have the equipment to fit a wide array of golfers so I see no reason why they can't continue to climb.

I'm a bit out of the norm in that I've been a W/S homer since really getting into golf in the early 2000s.

I really went heavy into the brand in 2007 with the Ci7 irons, Spine driver, Fybrids & Zip ball. I still have the Ci7s as a backup set & I currently bag the 3 & 4 Fybrid HS, 56* wedge & Duo ball.

Needless to say, I'm thrilled with the direction the company has gone in the last few years. I'd still love to see some of their tour players playing their drivers because that is what fans recognize the most.

Speaking of W/S tour players, when is the last time they've had 2 guys in the top 25 in the FedEx rankings? Right now Streelman is 12 & Brendan Steele is 25.

I do love the passion in Michael's message. I also like the Slogan "It's your game Make it personal"

I haven't had any desire to try a Wilson Golf product in quite sometime. I did play the Wilson Fat shaft Driver years ago though. It wasn't all that bad. And I'm not afraid to admit that since they have came into the mix here at THP my curiosity has risen. I'm not big on who's playing what on tour really. They play the clubs that pay the most is how I see it. I personally love the looks of the FG TOUR 100's, but realistically my game is t ready for that lol.

I have to say, as much as I like the D200 driver, the real gem of this year's lineup might be the D200 hybrids. Maybe the best I have ever hit. The only hybrids I have hit in the last couple years that were even in the same league for me were the X2 Hots.

I really think the perception as someone said is Wilson is the box set at the local Walmart or Kmart. I don't see huge displays at Golfsmith or anywhere else. IF your not an internet golfer, you probably wouldn't give Wilson a second thought unless your buying clubs for your kids. I don't know why but for me growing up they always have been the "cheap" brand in golf. I can honestly say I have never knowingly hit a Wilson golf ball or club on the course, though I believe I tried their driver back when they had John Daly and the Killer Whale. Their clubs have been just plain ugly. A couple guys on my fathers league play those fat shafts and they are the most awful looking irons I have seen since the bubble shaft. That being said I have liked the looks of their irons as of late, especially the FG line, but until following along during the personal distance event I didn't even know they made drivers.

I really think if they want to start making a name again in the golf market they really need to get a big name or a couple up and comers signed up and start promoting. Without that there aren't many people who are gonna go buy a Wilson over a Callaway or TaylorMade.

I really think the perception as someone said is Wilson is the box set at the local Walmart or Kmart. I don't see huge displays at Golfsmith or anywhere else. IF your not an internet golfer, you probably wouldn't give Wilson a second thought unless your buying clubs for your kids. I don't know why but for me growing up they always have been the "cheap" brand in golf. I can honestly say I have never knowingly hit a Wilson golf ball or club on the course, though I believe I tried their driver back when they had John Daly and the Killer Whale. Their clubs have been just plain ugly. A couple guys on my fathers league play those fat shafts and they are the most awful looking irons I have seen since the bubble shaft. That being said I have liked the looks of their irons as of late, especially the FG line, but until following along during the personal distance event I didn't even know they made drivers.

I really think if they want to start making a name again in the golf market they really need to get a big name or a couple up and comers signed up and start promoting. Without that there aren't many people who are gonna go buy a Wilson over a Callaway or TaylorMade.

Isn't that what they are doing though? As noted earlier in the thread, Streelman and Steele are both in the top 25 and Merritt has started the new year playing well.

Isn't that what they are doing though? As noted earlier in the thread, Streelman and Steele are both in the top 25 and Merritt has started the new year playing well.

Yes, but until those guys become recognizable faces people aren't going to give it a thought. Just my opinion and maybe I'm in the minority.

Someone also referenced Ricky. Ricky was recognizable right away with his long hair, his flat bill and his bright orange. That got him noticed immediately. I know I don't follow the PGA as much as others here or even as much as I would like to, but if I saw a picture of any of those 3 guys I couldn't tell you who they were or what clubs they played.

I'm not attacking Wilson Golf so please don't take it that way, but think of this:

What is the most exposed clubs on TV that catches a consumers eyes? Most would say drivers or putters.

Are either of the Wilson staffers in the top 25 playing a Wilson driver or putter? I don't think they are and I believe it's things like that which are not helping them. Most people can't discern one iron from another when watching a pro....but they can with driver and putter.

This is another area where I think Rickie has worked wonders with the Cobra use of color and it's unmistakable when watching him tee off.

Not tour validation but tour exposure. Winning or not Fowler moves the needle both for Cobra and Puma. Add in the Red Bull tie in and he just gets attention.

The Wilson feedback has been good but those threads don't stay near the top with constant discussion to stay a forefront in my mind. Additionally, I play with a ton of THP'ers and no one is gaming any of their recent gear so short of buying without trying, I'm not gonna hit it.
I wonder how much of that has to do with the previous morgan cup? As it relates to THPers. I bet more than people think.

I'll add that Nike is never at the top and few were playing it but some seemed really excited to try it.

I find the entire thing interesting. Thanks

I love the enthusiasm and agree they seem to be headed in the right direction. It will be interesting to see if they can keep the momentum.

Basically, they are almost reverse engineering their exposure, if that makes sense. They first wanted to re-establish their Euro market share, then it was reinvigorating the older generation of golfers again to build the foundation of their fan base, and then phase 3 was invigorating the younger generation of golfers with innovative and cutting edge technology

Their philosophy is that they want to get out and meet you, let you hit their stuff, help you build a set of irons that you want to play for more than just 6 months. Michael said something that really stuck with me at #PersonalDistance. He said that they had a fitting cart at a box store (can't remember if it was PGA SS or Golfsmith, etc). But the store sold 13 sets of irons that day, and 11 of them were Wilson Irons. Their goal is to build a grass roots following but getting out and pounding the pavement.

Also, they aren't their own entity, they have to show their parent company that they are profitable. Wilson was one of the few companies to actually make a profit in the last year (7% I think?), so they can't go balls to the walls with release cycles that pump up sales for a quarter, but may end up hurting in the long haul. They have a big picture outlook. They aren't looking for that short term boost. (Side note, I'm not attacking any other companies, not trying to start a debate).

It's something that is very respectable, IMO, when it would be so easy to dilute the market with their products to get that short term high.

I wonder how much of that has to do with the previous morgan cup? As it relates to THPers. I bet more than people think.

I'll add that Nike is never at the top and few were playing it but some seemed really excited to try it.

I find the entire thing interesting. Thanks

For me, I found this forum searching for Cobra S3 iron reviews (and subsequently bought them) but I also gamed Cobra hybrids prior to Cobra ever being involved in the MC.

I will say that a company like Bridgestone has benefited leaps and bounds from the exposure they've received on here due to being involved in events. Without the MC, I personally would have never known their irons and wedges were so damn solid. They didn't tend to have their product in many amateur golfers hands IMO but that has changed due to the constant discussion of their solid products here.

I'm not attacking Wilson Golf so please don't take it that way, but think of this:

What is the most exposed clubs on TV that catches a consumers eyes? Most would say drivers or putters.

Are either of the Wilson staffers in the top 25 playing a Wilson driver or putter? I don't think they are and I believe it's things like that which are not helping them. Most people can't discern one iron from another when watching a pro....but they can with driver and putter.

This is another area where I think Rickie has worked wonders with the Cobra use of color and it's unmistakable when watching him tee off.

I haven't looked closely at their Tour staff's bags, but we asked how they like to structure their club contracts with pros, and they said they prefer to have their pros have almost all Wilson clubs in the bags, not sure if that is the case with Streels, Harrington, or Steele, etc. But I believe they try to get as much Wilson in their bag as possible.

I'm not in here to beat Wilson's drum for them either, just trying to explain as much as I remember from what we talked about at #PersonalDistance, because the 9 of us had a lot of the same questions

This was a good watch. I think the correct intent is there but something has still gotta change although I'm unsure what it is. I viewed Cobra in a similar light until 3 years ago with the AMP cell line and where they've grown since then.

I think the D200 line still lacks in the looks department so I personally just don't have that urge to try it out.

Interesting, at address I think they are some of the best looking irons in the SGI category.

I really love Wilson Staff as a brand. A bit off the beaten path, reasonable prices, unique and solid offerings. The D-100 irons have been my best golf purchase of all time. I'm very interested in the D200 driver right now.

I haven't looked closely at their Tour staff's bags, but we asked how they like to structure their club contracts with pros, and they said they prefer to have their pros have almost all Wilson clubs in the bags, not sure if that is the case with Streels, Harrington, or Steele, etc. But I believe they try to get as much Wilson in their bag as possible.

I absolutely believe it and I think it's the right thing to do. I could be wrong but I think seeing a Wilson driver in the hands of someone getting solid weekend exposure by being in the top 5 would definitely help.

In many cases, we play the same drivers as the tour professionals of that brand. I don't know if the D200 is played on tour or not, but it would be a good thing for Wilson if they could make it happen.

Interesting, at address I think they are some of the best looking irons in the SGI category.

I was referring to more of the cavity/sole that we see so often in pics......unfortunately I haven't seen these at address. Oftentimes, the looks of a cavity or sole really wows us at first impression and causes us to want to try them out. Whether that be sexy, sleek, etc.

Ive hit these alongside the Bertha irons and they looked WAY better IMO.
Bertha was longer distance wise by a club

Four pages deep in two hours... Yeah, I'd say Wilson is making a comeback. It's great to see, and they are starting to have the equipment to back it up.

Back