Top 50 Course or Full Bag Fitting

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I always feel like I'm a bit biased towards the fitting aspects of conversations when it comes down to spending money on golf. We talk about the kind of money it takes to get on a Pebble or any of the highly sought after courses in America and whether it's worth it.

So rather than put money on the line, I ask this... If you had the option of playing a top 50 course, or were given the afternoon (let's call it four hours) on a range with high end Launch Monitors on hand with basically any shaft configuration you could think of, along with a solid fitter to guide you..... which would you select, and why?

It wouldn't be Pebble Beach, but I'd go play. I'm a course nerd and am fine with the status quo as far as my equipment goes.

Give me the high end course.

While a fitting is fantastic, it'll lead to MUCH more $$$ being spent than I like.

Fitter for me. I have seen first hand what a top fitter can do thanks to the #TheGrandaddy. That was with only an hour. Can't imagine what he could do for me with 4.

Probably the course. I know that no matter what the fitter tells me from what I do today, I'm going to make a different swing tomorrow.

Top 50 course. easy. No question.

That's like asking if you would build an engine and Rev it up, but never drive the car. Or take a car around the an F1 course.

Give me the high end course.

While a fitting is fantastic, it'll lead to MUCH more $$$ being spent than I like.
Exactly what I was going to say

It depends on the course for me. If it's a course like Sand Hills, then the course. If it's Pebble or TPC Sawgrass, then the fitting.

For me, the experience of the course and the memories thereof would be a lot more valuable than a fitting that would be useful at the time, but could possibly become less useful as technology and my swing change. It's course dependent for me because there are many in the top 50 I would love to play while others not so much.

I love fittings, one of the most fun let alone great things you can do for your game. However, I'd rather go play one of the best courses in the world.

Now give me 4 hours with a top instructor rather than fitter and that may change my answer

Now give me 4 hours with a top instructor rather than fitter and that may change my answer

Good twist and have to say that it would make me think a little more as well.

If I got new equipment + the fitting for the same price as the round, I would take the fitting. If it is just the round or the fitting (with no equipment incentive) I'd take the round.

Top 50 course, but I already got a full bag fitting.

Seems like money still ends up being involved, and I get that. Being empowered and knowing what works ends up being expensive, but beyond lessons, I feel like it makes a lot of sense to get what works in my hands to not only experience, but understand.

It's also interesting how polar the responses end up being. In a good way, IMO.

Top 50 Course in a heartbeat

If I got new equipment + the fitting for the same price as the round, I would take the fitting. If it is just the round or the fitting (with no equipment incentive) I'd take the round.

Let's say the top 50 course is somewhere in the realm of 300-500 dollars. It's kind of hard to say "fitting + equipment" because we're talking about thousands of dollars. Of course most are going to with the swag hahaha

Prior to my Club Champion fitting, I would have said the Top 50 course.... But now I've kind of got the club tinkering bug where I'd like to mess with lots of different setups and such. It's kind of a pain...haha.

Fitting - I would get a lot of enjoyment out of all of my golf with proper clubs when compared to one round of memorable golf.
But that is just me.

Fitting. I'm an equipment and numbers junkie. All the while I play golf courses across all spectrums of condition and enjoy it all the same.

I think it's a cool question too.

Top 50 course.

I love beautiful golf courses.

Id choose a THP Event over the fitting nearly every time.
Then again, some have a fitting...Win/Win

Give me the experience of playing, every time. Fittings are absolutely important, but not moreso that once-in-a-lifetime opportunities to play.

Id choose a THP Event over the fitting nearly every time.
Then again, some have a fitting...Win/Win

Ain't that the truth. TPC Las Vegas... True Blue and Caledonia.. El Campeon.. Great courses piggyback on incredible THP events every year.

Back