Nike Vapor Pro Combo Irons Review

I had a nice nine and range session with these, again. Just a comfort factor.

I believe the life changing comment earlier was sort of tongue in cheek (I hope) , its been pretty even keel in here overall.

For me, I wanted something with a more compact look to it from the apex and these fit the bill. They're 1/2 club shorter for me than my Apex and CTL setup was and that's not surprising given they aren't trying to be the same type iron as the apex. Less forgiveness too, but still what I want from my miss.

I think these need to be compared to the Apex Pros more, for me, it's that different level of iron category.

I still think the Apex are the best all around iron on the market by a large margin. But it's just not what I want to game anymore. Having fun with these, and I do love me some fun golfy golf.

Good to hear James. I cannot wait to drop some thoughts in here.

I had a nice nine and range session with these, again. Just a comfort factor.

I believe the life changing comment earlier was sort of tongue in cheek (I hope) , its been pretty even keel in here overall.

For me, I wanted something with a more compact look to it from the apex and these fit the bill. They're 1/2 club shorter for me than my Apex and CTL setup was and that's not surprising given they aren't trying to be the same type iron as the apex. Less forgiveness too, but still what I want from my miss.

I think these need to be compared to the Apex Pros more, for me, it's that different level of iron category.

I still think the Apex are the best all around iron on the market by a large margin. But it's just not what I want to game anymore. Having fun with these, and I do love me some fun golfy golf.

Good stuff. I guess my question was what could you do with these that you cannot do with the Apex, since you are sacrificing distance and forgiveness. You answered that in that its a look thing only.

Im not a big flighter of the ball and dont struggle looking at a larger iron, so for that it could be why I was not noticing the same thing as others. Thanks for the discusion guys.

Good stuff. I guess my question was what could you do with these that you cannot do with the Apex, since you are sacrificing distance and forgiveness. You answered that in that its a look thing only.

Im not a big flighter of the ball and dont struggle looking at a larger iron, so for that it could be why I was not noticing the same thing as others. Thanks for the discusion guys.

Great question JB......lefty here so haven't hit the VPC yet but in my limited experience with the Apex iron, they seem to be "too hot" .......I didn't feel as though distance control was on par with 2011 vr pro combos. ....nor should they be......but for me hitting irons is much more about precision.

Great question JB......lefty here so haven't hit the VPC yet but in my limited experience with the Apex iron, they seem to be "too hot" .......I didn't feel as though distance control was on par with 2011 vr pro combos. ....nor should they be......but for me hitting irons is much more about precision.

That is really interesting. Hmmm. I am going to dive into this one a bit.

Not to head off track but I cant say that I ever experienced "too hotness" with the Apex in my extensive time with them. Sounds BUrner 2.0ish

Not to head off track but I cant say that I ever experienced "too hotness" with the Apex in my extensive time with them. Sounds BUrner 2.0ish

Same here Mike, not an issue I recall experiencing.

I wanted to love the VPC's but my swing just isn't consistent enough for them while I was able to play the Apex pretty well.

I'll have the VPC's back in my hands shortly and maybe give them another go for grins.

End of last year I had it narrowed down to the Apex or I25 irons....was leaning toward the Pings until the vpc came along. I see the Apex/vpc comparisions ....has anybody done a vpc/I25 comparison? If I missed it u can just send me the linkq. Thx!

End of last year I had it narrowed down to the Apex or I25 irons....was leaning toward the Pings until the vpc came along. I see the Apex/vpc comparisions ....has anybody done a vpc/I25 comparison? If I missed it u can just send me the linkq. Thx!

I want to say that Jman has played both extensively if I'm not mistaken so he can likely weigh in.

Same here Mike, not an issue I recall experiencing.

I wanted to love the VPC's but my swing just isn't consistent enough for them while I was able to play the Apex pretty well.

I'll have the VPC's back in my hands shortly and maybe give them another go for grins.

This is how i felt when i demo'd the VPCs. I like the look at address and not bothered by the volt color(actually love it). Just couldn't see myself buying these at this point so went with what worked and got the Z545s.

This is how i felt when i demo'd the VPCs. I like the look at address and not bothered by the volt color(actually love it). Just couldn't see myself buying these at this point so went with what worked and got the Z545s.

I'm in the same boat. I absolutely LOVE the look of these irons, but the speed is more the level of forgiveness I like from an iron. And I like the 545s a whole lot more than the speeds.

Neither did I, and I put a TON of rounds on mine last year leading into the MC. Plus, I played the 2.0's too, nothing in the realm of that craziness, the Apex are incredibly consistent.

I want to say that Jman has played both extensively if I'm not mistaken so he can likely weigh in.

i25 are more forgiving, distance wise is actually pretty similar between those two, but in terms of forgiveness overall its the i25's there (and should be given the profile difference).

I am not getting these to replace my Apex because I thought I caught fliers. Over the past 13 months or so I saw nothing but incredibly consistent distances from well-struck shots, and predictable distance loss on balls out on the toe. I don't think there were "hot spot" issues (at least for me)

I am not getting these to replace my Apex because I thought I caught fliers. Over the past 13 months or so I saw nothing but incredibly consistent distances from well-struck shots, and predictable distance loss on balls out on the toe. I don't think there were "hot spot" issues (at least for me)
Same thing for me. I think it's a bit of a farce and way overblown that flier talk. Heck, from what I understand, it has nothing to do with the club but material caught between the club face and the ball.

I'm in the same boat. I absolutely LOVE the look of these irons, but the speed is more the level of forgiveness I like from an iron. And I like the 545s a whole lot more than the speeds.

ditto. the speeds were ok but not good enough to take the 545 out of contention at the time.

I really like most everything about the Apex...only concerns were the used sets I saw after a year looked beat to s(&*t. Also the higher lofted irons looked a bit SGI. I could get used to it, I have Ping Eye2's for God sakes...you don't get much uglier than that unless I were playing VAS irons. Pings look and perform great but just not exciting. I want myself to like the Nike's...really want to hit them with the PXI.

A lot of people jumping from Apex to these or debating it. Curious here, what do these offer that the Apex do not and vice versa? I have both and trying to figure a few things out. I mean I heard earlier these were "life changing". I think I am doing something wrong.
isn't it great when someone finds something that works for them?

isn't it great when someone finds something that works for them?

It really is. That is what the game and the golf equipment are all about.

I think the lightweight graphite experiment in these is over for me, I'll save those for something else. The DG-Pro's are just everything that I need in a shaft set right now, and it shines in the 5-6i.

Tempo issues from the weight difference?

Putting these beauties back in the bag for tomorrows round(s) just because I miss looking down at them. Should be fun to tinker a round with them again after a while.

Such a great set of sticks. Do you still have the dg pro's in them?

Such a great set of sticks. Do you still have the dg pro's in them?

Yeppers. Reminds me though, I need to reshaft the AW tonight since I was tinkering with graphite in it at one point.

Back