Need a little Freddie advice on my swing!

SkiBumGolfer

Tremendous slouch
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I had some issues leaking a few shots right tonight, and thought I'd post some vids of my swing to see if my fellow Team Chad member could help out! I can see that I'm cutting across the ball a bit, but am a little unsure of exactly the cause. Any advice appreciated!

The driver shot was money, but one of the two iron shots was a fatted pull 5 iron. The other iron shot was a solid 9 iron.

Driver swing:

9 iron:

5 iron:

Ski can we wait til after the king? If the driver and 9 are money then I don't want to mess with your swing. Just keep doing what ever it is you are doing.

I'm curious, when you say money, what doing you mean? Did the ball go straight or fade?

We definitely can, I was just curious about the little leaking right I was seeing. Lately I've been seeing more of a straight to slight draw ball flight, so something was obviously a bit off compared to usual.

The driver ball went pretty close to dead straight, maybe an ever so slight draw. The 9 iron landed right where I aimed it, if anything there was a slight push in it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Looks like a simple alignment issue. The driver and 9i were both aimed to the right it looks like. Like FK said, don't change anything swing wise till after the king. JMO

Looks like a simple alignment issue. The driver and 9i were both aimed to the right it looks like. Like FK said, don't change anything swing wise till after the king. JMO

To be clear, was my whole setup aimed right, or just the shoulder alignment? Thanks for the thoughts bud.

To be clear, was my whole setup aimed right, or just the shoulder alignment? Thanks for the thoughts bud.

No worries. Mostly your lower half. Shoulders looked down the target line. The 5i was better alignment despite the pull.

Since comments have been made I want to be sure you are clear on what you issues are. Being aimed to the right is not the issue. The OTT swing is the issue. With your feet staggered the way they are you should be pulling the club back on an inside track. It should also be on the same path on the down swing. like so many others in your position you are swinging the club from the top which is causing you to come OTT. But her is the kicker, it works for you and should be kept in place until after the king. Yes it will really magnify any misses and it is not a long term swing that will produce positive results. That is why I didn't want to offer any tips.

Try to groove a new move will only serve to frustrate the hell out of you at this point in time. I saw a few other things and one that can help right now.

It seems that you preset you right leg in a locked position. That right leg must stay flexed through out the swing. It keep all of you levels the same when remains flexed. If it straightens on the back swing you will dramatically change the angle of attack and will have to manufacture a down swing. Please keep all of this in your mental rolodex until after the king.

Since comments have been made I want to be sure you are clear on what you issues are. Being aimed to the right is not the issue. The OTT swing is the issue. With your feet staggered the way they are you should be pulling the club back on an inside track. It should also be on the same path on the down swing. like so many others in your position you are swinging the club from the top which is causing you to come OTT. But her is the kicker, it works for you and should be kept in place until after the king. Yes it will really magnify any misses and it is not a long term swing that will produce positive results. That is why I didn't want to offer any tips.

Try to groove a new move will only serve to frustrate the hell out of you at this point in time. I saw a few other things and one that can help right now.

It seems that you preset you right leg in a locked position. That right leg must stay flexed through out the swing. It keep all of you levels the same when remains flexed. If it straightens on the back swing you will dramatically change the angle of attack and will have to manufacture a down swing. Please keep all of this in your mental rolodex until after the king.

I saw the OTT move too but didn't want to bring it up for the reasons you listed above.

My question is, can the OTT be an overcompensation for the misalignment? I ask for my own personal eductation and not to confuse anyone so SBG, please ignore if my question complicates things.

I saw the OTT move too but didn't want to bring it up for the reasons you listed above.

My question is, can the OTT be an overcompensation for the misalignment? I ask for my own personal eductation and not to confuse anyone so SBG, please ignore if my question complicates things.

The quick answer is yes but in his case we can build on the right foot back to get him on an inside delivery.

Freddie couples sets up open to his target and drop the club inside for a draw or shoots down the line for fade. I mention this because alignment can be off and you can still pull off a good move into the ball. Granted everything must be square to what ever alignment you have but you can be aimed right and hit left.

Thanks guys. I won't try to change anything major prior to the event, but this is all good to know. The OTT move is something that my instructor has tried to combat, and it has improved since taking lessons - it used to be much more pronounced and led to weak push fades. These push fades happen much less frequently now, but they snuck in a bit in this range session.

So you guys are saying that my feet and my shoulders are not on the same alignment, i.e. shoulders closed but lower body facing right, leading to an OTT swing? Correct me if I am wrong, but that's what I gather from what has been said.

Ask your instructor to work on your shoulder turn vs an arm swing
Thanks guys. I won't try to change anything major prior to the event, but this is all good to know. The OTT move is something that my instructor has tried to combat, and it has improved since taking lessons - it used to be much more pronounced and led to weak push fades. These push fades happen much less frequently now, but they snuck in a bit in this range session.

So you guys are saying that my feet and my shoulders are not on the same alignment, i.e. shoulders closed but lower body facing right, leading to an OTT swing? Correct me if I am wrong, but that's what I gather from what has been said.

Ask your instructor to work on your shoulder turn vs an arm swing

Thanks Freddie. Will set up a lesson for this weekend if he has availability.

Bumping this to have you cast a quick eye on these snaps from my round yesterday courtesy of ArmyGolf. I think the position on the shot from the fairway (2nd one) is pretty good, but it sure looks like I'm a little crowded at impact on the tee ball. Indicative that maybe I should step a little further away? Thanks in advance for any help, Freddie. I'll have to try and pick up some video next time at the range.

• a57ab2d059be89ef7fcb9f1e4c98a3f6.jpg

25a053ebb43e2c944025cb905f7a5f82.jpg

I can post the videos to YouTube if you like Ryan. Let me know.

I can post the videos to YouTube if you like Ryan. Let me know.
Wouldn't mind seeing them, thanks brother! No rush though.

Throwing these up here from today's range session - first video is PW, second is 5i. Been trying to work on getting some good knee flex for power, and not swinging too flat. Also trying to focus on the proper ball position and forward shaft lean as well. Let me know what you think if you get a chance, Freddie (or others)!

Any thoughts?

i think your alignment looks a lot better! i don't see as much of an ott move. not sure if the alignment is the chicken and the ott move is the egg, or vice versa, but either way it looks good! as does the trailing knee flex. i'd like to see more extension through impact and less chicken-wing with the left arm, but if things are cruising along and you're hitting the ball well, why mess with a good thing?!

49b2ebebb0f6a5456981fdf76746309c.jpg

This photo shows your lack of alignment. Feet one dorection, shoulders another and club face another. This are the key ingredients in your over the top casserole.

Also the shoulder are slopped. Get that chest out abs shoulders back.

4070d6fc9301f234362a804e791ffe0e.jpg

Look at the two cirlces. The elbow is a result of no extention down the line. The heal and calf show your hanging back a bit.
these are the results of swing that has been grooved to save the OTT move. These are by products of your adjust swing. It shows me your athletic but you can be an athletic golfer by fixing these.

extend down the line. As much as I can't stand his bravado, Gary player's walk out of your swing is such a good drill. Try it and get your alignment right.

6da84ab7cec9a86fb665332c921b936c.jpg

Alignment, gotta have it. Feet and shoulders don't match. Club face square to shoulders.

The orange on your arm is just that, uts your left arm. I should not see that. Bump that right shoulder back and this will line you up to your feet and hid that lead arm. This should help you fire down the line. If you don't extend, you're going to be a slot machine, a big pull

Many thanks, Freddie! I knew something looked a little..."scrunched", I suppose? Not sure how to put it, but you found it. So you're saying that my arms (and by extension, the clubface) are coming to the left too quickly?

At any rate, definitely will work on getting everything aligned properly, get the shoulders back, and try the "walk out" drill tonight.

And caeleric, thanks for the positive comments! I've been working to fix it and taking lessons, but I know I'm not there just yet. I know that the moves that you and Freddie mention are sapping clubhead speed, so I'm working hard to address them.

Another thing I noticed - I have a bent right arm at impact. I've seen pictures of numerous notable golfers with this characteristic (Jack Nicklaus, Gary Woodland, Hunter Mahan, ...), but others preach the extended arm at impact (a la Moe Norman). Is either right or wrong, or are they just different?

Without extention the right arm will be bent. its only through extending down the line that will fix that small flaw. You have played like this for a quite a while so it will not be easy but have your buddies stop you when they see you off line.
Many thanks, Freddie! I knew something looked a little..."scrunched", I suppose? Not sure how to put it, but you found it. So you're saying that my arms (and by extension, the clubface) are coming to the left too quickly?

At any rate, definitely will work on getting everything aligned properly, get the shoulders back, and try the "walk out" drill tonight.

And caeleric, thanks for the positive comments! I've been working to fix it and taking lessons, but I know I'm not there just yet. I know that the moves that you and Freddie mention are sapping clubhead speed, so I'm working hard to address them.

Another thing I noticed - I have a bent right arm at impact. I've seen pictures of numerous notable golfers with this characteristic (Jack Nicklaus, Gary Woodland, Hunter Mahan, ...), but others preach the extended arm at impact (a la Moe Norman). Is either right or wrong, or are they just different?

Back