claycribbs

Fear the Dolphin Swag!
Reaction score
Handicap
Ok guys, I'm soon going to pick up a new sand wedge..... I'm trading in my old set which included a SW. My question is my PW for my set is 45*. I have a 60*. Should I get a 52* to better take out the gaps in my set or get a 54* which would work more as my traditional sand wedge? Would the 52* work as a sand wedge effectively? Does anyone out there have a 60* and just a 52*? Thanks.

Right now Im carrying my sets gap, a 56* and a 60*, seems to work pretty well.

45 to 60 would mean the best loft for gaps would be about 52-53 degrees. It would really depend on what you want to use the wedge for. Is it for gaps, or is it because you struggle out of traps and want a more traditional lofted SW. You could always go with a 55 (or so) and then down the road possibly add a 50 degree if you decide you want or need one. That would give you 45, 50, 55, and 60.

That's what I have too. a 50° PW from my old set and my 56° and 60° Adams wedges. The 56 I use from the sand. The 60 is for downhill, greenside lies.

JB i need all the help out of bunkers I can get.... thats why I was thinking 54*.

I have a SW at 54* I also use my Niblick 56 out of the sand and it works very well. It has saved my butt more than once. My issue is that I am better with the NIb out of the sand and better with the SW for chipping and full shots everwhere else. I guess I need eliminate one and just practice, practice with the other.

I would doubt you needing a 5w and 7w, 2 wedges are much more efficient

That is really not fair to say without playing with someone and playing the courses that they play. Everybody has different gaps.

Could always go with a high bounce 52/53. Get close to the same bounce as a sand and it should act pretty close. I don't know what would be harder to find though, a high bounce Gap for 54* sand.

Back