TaylorMade SpeedBlade Irons Review Thread

Anyone compared these to the rocketbladez tour or tour preceded cb? Thinking of returning to a more traditional iron as my swing comes back I am finding issues with the length of the shaft and turf interaction :/

I've hit them all, except for the SLDR irons. Hated the Rbladez Tours and they are practically giving them away on Ebay. I thought the CB's were fine, but short. The regular RBladez were just as long as the SB's, with a little lower ballfight. I never noticed a weird sound as some folks claim with these. A set of these on Ebay for under $200 is a great deal, IMO. Obviously I'm still with the SB's, so I think they're the best. But I will confess that they aren't very workable.

I've hit them all, except for the SLDR irons. Hated the Rbladez Tours and they are practically giving them away on Ebay. I thought the CB's were fine, but short. The regular RBladez were just as long as the SB's, with a little lower ballfight. I never noticed a weird sound as some folks claim with these. A set of these on Ebay for under $200 is a great deal, IMO. Obviously I'm still with the SB's, so I think they're the best. But I will confess that they aren't very workable.
I love my speedblades a lot, especially the 4-5 iron. But from 170 in which is 8 iron and below for me I like to try and work a little draw or fade to attack tight positions... As you said not easy to do.

I love my speedblades a lot, especially the 4-5 iron. But from 170 in which is 8 iron and below for me I like to try and work a little draw or fade to attack tight positions... As you said not easy to do.

Yeah, I hear you. Even though the 8 and below have no slot, I can't work ANY of the them and if you want to work a lofted iron, you may have to go to a hybridized set. Like a MC/CB set. Or maybe the SLDR set, I dunno. I don't think you could build a successful CB/SB set as the gaps at the transition would be HUGE. I've simply forfeited workability for the other advantages they give me. My old workable go to shot was the hooked 7 around trees. I simply can't do it anymore.

4-GW speedblades on the way to me... Can't wait. Should have never left the GI category of clubs, had myself convinced that I needed more of a players iron, lol. Lesson learned.

4-GW speedblades on the way to me... Can't wait. Should have never left the GI category of clubs, had myself convinced that I needed more of a players iron, lol. Lesson learned.
Congrats on your purchase! You'll love them

Congrats on your purchase! You'll love them

I hit them for the first time today at Golf Galaxy while passing the time, yea i know i am behind the times. Honestly they felt pretty good, not the look i like, but i have learned once you see how something preforms for you, you learn to love it.

Next time i have the chance i will see how they look on the range.

I'm still amazed at how awesome these irons are. I've never felt so comfortable over a ball with a long iron before. The 5iron is no joke

Yesterday I tried the speedblade 8 iron against my rocketbladez 8 iron. It felt easier to hit and more accurate. What baffles me is that we are talking about a non sloted club (7 iron and up have the slot) so I dont understand why it feels better. I would think that 8 and down would be essentially the same as the rocketbladez hut we a different badge.

Well put me in the category that's gotten some fliers lately. I hit a pw 145 today where my average is around 120. I've been focusing a lot on ball first contact and that probably had something todo with it.

I had some trouble with the aw digging into some really soft wet turf today. I still love that club though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played 9 holes while on holiday in Jamaica and these were the rental clubs, along with the Jetspeed driver and woods

Not having hit a ball for a few weeks, and playing in a different climate to what I am used to, I am not going to make any comparisons to how far I was hitting them against what I normally see with my own irons, but the short time I spent with them I found myself pretty comfortable with them and was making decent contact, seeing good shots, but my distances were off slightly due to the differences stated. On a par 5, I had a blind second shot of around 225yds to the green so I decided to lay up with the 5i - followed the lead from the caddy with regards to the line and hit a sweet shot which, when we were able to see the green (protected by a rise in front of it), was only a few yards short of the fringe :shock:

I can see why people have been impressed with these and I wouldn't be dismissing them if I was looking for new irons at this moment in time

Played 9 holes while on holiday in Jamaica and these were the rental clubs, along with the Jetspeed driver and woods

Not having hit a ball for a few weeks, and playing in a different climate to what I am used to, I am not going to make any comparisons to how far I was hitting them against what I normally see with my own irons, but the short time I spent with them I found myself pretty comfortable with them and was making decent contact, seeing good shots, but my distances were off slightly due to the differences stated. On a par 5, I had a blind second shot of around 225yds to the green so I decided to lay up with the 5i - followed the lead from the caddy with regards to the line and hit a sweet shot which, when we were able to see the green (protected by a rise in front of it), was only a few yards short of the fringe :shock:

I can see why people have been impressed with these and I wouldn't be dismissing them if I was looking for new irons at this moment in time

Nice Doc! They're really really well rounded irons IMO. Still my second favorite set out there to be honest.

Wanted to be a fan

Wanted to be a fan

I am new to this thread but have been lurking since last Fall. I bought a set of Speedblades last December. It was the cold of winter, balls weren't going very far with the 18 year old tour blades. I had quit the game for 14 years and started up again last fall. It was a brutal re entry. I tried to buy my distance. I must say there are a lot of fans out there of GI irons, but I am not one of them. After a frustrating season of "speedblade" golf I picked up the old TM Tour blades a couple of weeks ago and shot my best round of the year. Thinking it was a fluke, the following weekend I matched the same score. Now mind you with the old loft and compared to the speedblades I was 2 clubs short. I came back to this forum (Having read most of these 100+ pages and the glowing reports of how great they are) thinking after punishing myself with the blades that I would just find the sweetspot and really have a great round with these speedblades. Not, shot the worst score of the year. So after 20+ rounds they got kicked out of the bag with no love, and now my score is improving radically.

Long story short, I see the major offset and oversized head subconsciously and cannot find the sweetspot. Yes they are forgiving but that has been the problem for me. The pro shops seem to be in on the "hit the biggest shovel you can stand theory" but they are not for me. I will take the loss of distance and punishment on a bad shot to gain accuracy any day of the week.

I don't mean to offend anyone here so please take my post with a grain of salt.

***Anyone want a pristine set of Speed Blades pm me and let's work out a deal.

I am new to this thread but have been lurking since last Fall. I bought a set of Speedblades last December. It was the cold of winter, balls weren't going very far with the 18 year old tour blades. I had quit the game for 14 years and started up again last fall. It was a brutal re entry. I tried to buy my distance. I must say there are a lot of fans out there of GI irons, but I am not one of them. After a frustrating season of "speedblade" golf I picked up the old TM Tour blades a couple of weeks ago and shot my best round of the year. Thinking it was a fluke, the following weekend I matched the same score. Now mind you with the old loft and compared to the speedblades I was 2 clubs short. I came back to this forum (Having read most of these 100+ pages and the glowing reports of how great they are) thinking after punishing myself with the blades that I would just find the sweetspot and really have a great round with these speedblades. Not, shot the worst score of the year. So after 20+ rounds they got kicked out of the bag with no love, and now my score is improving radically.

Long story short, I see the major offset and oversized head subconsciously and cannot find the sweetspot. Yes they are forgiving but that has been the problem for me. The pro shops seem to be in on the "hit the biggest shovel you can stand theory" but they are not for me. I will take the loss of distance and punishment on a bad shot to gain accuracy any day of the week.

I don't mean to offend anyone here so please take my post with a grain of salt.

***Anyone want a pristine set of Speed Blades pm me and let's work out a deal.

I don't think anyone would take offense. If they work for you great if not so be it. Play what gets the job done not what someone else says will get it done.

I don't think anyone would take offense. If they work for you great if not so be it. Play what gets the job done not what someone else says will get it done.

Exactly. At the moment, these are the easiest long irons to get airborne for me so they're what I play. 6-p I can hit most irons well enough but 4-5 are just absolute nightmares for me. These and the 588 altitudes are the only ones I don't tremble with when I come up to a 180-200 yard par 3 or approach. Speedblade stayed in the bag over the altitudes because I just hated the way those looked.

If they work, great, if not play what does.

That's why we have so many choices. Something for everyone.

A combination of the ability to get the ball airborne easily with these irons and an improved swing has me hitting the speedblades further than I had before. That didn't help my scoring this weekend, as I was regularly going over greens I had no business going over.

To think the RSi irons are more forgiving and higher launching makes me excited. Don't think I will replace these, though.

First round under my belt with these irons, and I'm wondering why I waited so long... Love my i20s but these gave me the forgiveness I've been looking for here lately. Was a windy round so still dialing in distances, but these were impressive. The low irons are long and launch higher than I expected, even after reading this thread. I GPS'd a 4I I hit off the tee on a short par 4 at 217 yards. Wind was with me but that's still a sick number for me. I know as I get used to them it will only get better too. I did struggle with the gap wedge in the wind, but that's more of a me thing than a club thing. Think I hit every one of them except the 5I. Standard draw was in play pretty much all day. These irons could be dangerous for me. Time will tell on the 4I vs. hybrid discussion, but so far so good! Very happy I pulled the trigger on these.

Getting very anxious..picked up a clean used set of these, 3-PW, for dirt cheap. Waiting for a tracking number.

Also hoping the weather will allow a few rounds this month.

Been playing these every round since buying them and I think it's time to move the i20s... I'm starting to become quite comfortable with the feel of these. I thought the light shaft weight would throw me off, but I think it's been beneficial to getting my tempo more consistent. I may ponder a shaft switch when it gets warmer, but I'm good for now.

Temperatures have been crazy lately, cold one day, relatively warm the next. So my distances aren't 100% dialed in yet. That said, I haven't had too much issue in the club selection department. I've been playing it on the safer side and erring to whether or not I want to miss long or short, but I was able to tie my PB score yesterday with these in the bag so something's working right. I will say that I'm not 100% comfortable with the gaps from PW-AW-54˚ just yet. They're fine now, but I'm wondering what it will be like in the summer time. Good problem to have though, so I'm not going to worry about it until I need to.

I have also finally found a happy place with the AW. Over the last two rounds, I've hit some solid shots with it and it seems to be playing similar to my i20 AW from a distance standpoint (110-120ish depending).

Anybody have any input on how the long irons in the Speedblade Irons compare to the long irons in the 588 MT's? I was able to hit the 6 iron's from both sets at a store, both with graphite shafts and they were performing very similar for me(Launch and Carry). I can hit the MT 4 iron with no problems at all, but didn't get to hit the SB 4-iron. Are the long iron's easy to get the ball up? Thanks.

Anybody have any input on how the long irons in the Speedblade Irons compare to the long irons in the 588 MT's? I was able to hit the 6 iron's from both sets at a store, both with graphite shafts and they were performing very similar for me(Launch and Carry). I can hit the MT 4 iron with no problems at all, but didn't get to hit the SB 4-iron. Are the long iron's easy to get the ball up? Thanks.

Easy to hit is pretty relative. I found the MTs a bit more forgiving with their design and they launched a bit higher for me.

Saw that some were pondering these irons, so I thought a bump was in order.

The speed slot definitely helps me on shots low on the face. Had a few today that didn't punish me too much on overall distance. A year in and I'm still very happy with these irons.

Solid bump and I can't wait to contribute again to this thread. Love these irons and I can see them staying in the bag for a while

Thanks for the updates guys. I'm still giving these a serious ponder if I can find a set in good shape at a good price. I super intrigued by the XR Pros and Rsi 2s too, but I liked the SpeedBlades when I hit them with the DG S300 not too long ago and I'm thinking that they should be substantially cheaper at this point.

Thanks for the updates guys. I'm still giving these a serious ponder if I can find a set in good shape at a good price. I super intrigued by the XR Pros and Rsi 2s too, but I liked the SpeedBlades when I hit them with the SG300 not too long ago and I'm thinking that they should be substantially cheaper at this point.
New sets are pretty cheap relative to what I paid, even on TMs website. Quite the value IMHO.

Has anyone gone from the sock shaft option to a different shaft? Just curious about how ball flight was effected

Back