Will The New Ben Hogan Brand Make It?

Do people (meaning the current golfers that spend money) care enough about the Ben Hogan name to keep it in business?
No

Is the product strong enough to please the masses?
No, they need a more diverse product line and SGI will go against what the Hogan homers think a Hogan iron are.

What would you do differently (if anything) to release a new brand (or recreate one) to the general public?
Lots of demo days at golf courses and try to get some shelf space in a golf store.

Will Ben Hogan golf clubs exist in its current form in 36 months
Only on Ebay and websites that sell discontinued clubs. I don't see them lasting that long.

Also only targeting blade iron players knocked what 85 to 90 percent of their market out. So now you have a new golfer goes to a big box (WalMart) sees the clothes cheap buys them, goes to look for irons sees the same brand now they are how much?! Equates it with that WalMart 15 dollar shirt, plus they are blades not happening. I know I said it in my previous post but I see that as a huge marketing fail. Cant sell 15 dollar shirts at Wally World and then bladed 150-200 dollar a pop clubs. I know Hogan is all about the blades but markets change and you must adapt.

Ben Hogan was one of the greats of the game and the original Hogan clubs might just be some of the best looking irons ever made. However, it's 2015 and when your average 20 something doesn't realize who Sir Paul McCartney is, (and that he doesn't need Kenye West's help getting into the music business), I don't think the Hogan name alone will be enough to make them successful.

Being a "WalMart brand" (softgoods) is not going to help their marketing of high end irons either. Yes, Perry Ellis has the rights to the name for softgoods. However, few outside the industry or THP are going to know/understand the difference. It will take a strong marketing/social media presence to overcome this lack of continunity within the Hogan brand.

If and this is a big if, the irons are good enough to create a buzz on their own then I think they will survive in the niche market. Failing at that I think that they will go the way of others who tried to capitalize on a legends name.

Also only targeting blade iron players knocked what 85 to 90 percent of their market out. So now you have a new golfer goes to a big box (WalMart) sees the clothes cheap buys them, goes to look for irons sees the same brand now they are how much?! Equates it with that WalMart 15 dollar shirt, plus they are blades not happening. I know I said it in my previous post but I see that as a huge marketing fail. Cant sell 15 dollar shirts at Wally World and then bladed 150-200 dollar a pop clubs. I know Hogan is all about the blades but markets change and you must adapt.

Why does it not matter that Nike and adidas is sold at Walmart?

Because apparently it just doesn't. How many different threads does this same argument need to be had? This isn't directed at you, it's more just general frustration with the entire topic

While i hope for the best, i very much doubt it.

Because apparently it just doesn't. How many different threads does this same argument need to be had? This isn't directed at you, it's more just general frustration with the entire topic

It is interesting. We hear it with Wilson too. Its very interesting that some view some brands as "Walmart" brands and others not, when they are all available there.

It is interesting. We hear it with Wilson too. Its very interesting that some view some brands as "Walmart" brands and others not, when they are all available there.

To what level is Nike really in walmart? I don't spend much time there, but I don't recall seeing anything other than balls, towels and gloves there, can you buy Nike Apparel there?

To what level is Nike really in walmart? I don't spend much time there, but I don't recall seeing anything other than balls, towels and gloves there, can you buy Nike Apparel there?

More so than Ben Hogan is.

Thought I would pose this question here as a good thread to discuss the current goings on with in the golf industry as it pertains to a new player. The facts are that the new Ben Hogan line launched at the 2015 PGA Show.

The creator of the line, Terry Koehler has a long (and solid) pedigree, however his two previous offerings Eidolon and SCOR did not last for too long (regardless of reason). The current generation of Ben Hogan clubs are a product that he and his team designed and will be offered soon and are quite different than a lot of the lineups you see from other companies.

So the questions are.
Do people (meaning the current golfers that spend money) care enough about the Ben Hogan name to keep it in business?
Is the product strong enough to please the masses?
What would you do differently (if anything) to release a new brand (or recreate one) to the general public?
Will Ben Hogan golf clubs exist in its current form in 36 months

I think they're targeting the golf aficionado who is aware of all the tech out there but wants to play a special kind of club. If they accept that this iron release will get about the same sales as, say, Miura, they might be alright. It's not that the masses wish to see the Ben Hogan name disappear, it's that the club that people think ought to bear Hogan's name isn't a club the masses can really use to improve their game. It's not that the product isn't strong, it's that the product is intentionally elite.

I would have made the release more public than the teasers. I would have relied on a fun or entertaining release rather than the teaser e-mails and non-descript launch. They were claiming to bring one of the most monumental names in golf back to the sport, and they did it by sneaking into Demo Day, IMO. Way too quiet, way too discreet.

I'm not sure they're still around in 3 years. The model they're pursuing would seem to involve a lot of operational costs...getting the clubs to country clubs, getting them in the hands of players and convincing them to use them, custom orders...I don't see their books, but I see a lot of traveling for that organization, but without a whole lot of infrastructure. Plus I'm not sure I want to know what you'd be swiping your American Express Black card for once the country club throws in their markup.

Personal opinion...because Nike and adidas aren't just sold at Wal Mart. Their distribution is far more widespread. Nike from Wal Mart or Dick's or an outlet store, it's all the same.

Ben Hogan golf shirts...just Wal Mart. That's the sort of indication that marks it as a "Wal Mart brand." Not unlike C9 from Champion is a Target brand. I'm not saying they're bad, or poorly made or anything of that sort. But the distribution is limited to those stores.

Personal opinion...because Nike and adidas aren't just sold at Wal Mart. Their distribution is far more widespread. Nike from Wal Mart or Dick's or an outlet store, it's all the same.

Ben Hogan golf shirts...just Wal Mart. That's the sort of indication that marks it as a "Wal Mart brand." Not unlike C9 from Champion is a Target brand. I'm not saying they're bad, or poorly made or anything of that sort. But the distribution is limited to those stores.

I get that, but the same argument comes up with Wilson and nullifies it in my opinion.

I don't think this new brand will last. I think the Ben Hogan name for clubs is well known for the older generation of players, but I bet for a majority of average golfers under the age of 30 they probably don't know Ben Hogan clubs the way the older demo does.

I do not believe the product is strong enough for the masses.

I would do more to get the product out there. Now $$ is probably an issue there to get the proper distribution. I also don't know if I would pay to lease the name, that's a lot of money spent just on a name. Can probably be spent in better places. Also get the product out there for testing, get them in the consumers hands and hope that word of mouth spreads.

I doubt the brand exists in 3 years. I think they go the same road as Eidelon and SCOR. Good products, but limiting, and without the right distribution I don't see them going anywhere.
Quoting this one as I agree with his answers. The big boys will slaughter this brand.

I think it will be difficult for the new line to take hold. I don't think there are enough die hards to keep it relevant. I owned a few sets in my day and I don't see myself buying a new set. The new owner had quality product but could not get enough steam with those lines. I can't see him marketing well enough to get the Hogan name as a main stay in the industry. I wish him all the best but just don't see it.

To me I love that Ben Hogan brand at wal mart. Modern golf clothes at a price that makes sense. I don't know about you guys, but I spend a ton on golf as is. No need to be spending another $85 on a shirt

Do people (meaning the current golfers that spend money) care enough about the Ben Hogan name to keep it in business? At first yes, but for the long haul I don't think so.

Is the product strong enough to please the masses? If they only have the one style (the blades essentially), no I don't think their product is strong enough to please the masses.

What would you do differently (if anything) to release a new brand (or recreate one) to the general public? I would invest into having different sets targeted to different skill levels first and foremost. Then I would advertise the crap out of it and get the name out there and back into the minds of golfers. Maybe find a professional to play them, whether it's on the Champions Tour, PGA Tour, Euro Tour, LPGA, etc. just find a pro that can get the brand some exposure.

Will Ben Hogan golf clubs exist in its current form in 36 months - I really struggle to see that happening with the current offerings.

Do people (meaning the current golfers that spend money) care enough about the Ben Hogan name to keep it in business? I don't think so. The younger players have no idea who Ben Hogan is. If you ask about Ben Hogan they will probably say, "I didn't know Hulk's brother played golf!"

Is the product strong enough to please the masses? Since I have not touched one of these, I don't know how good they are, so I can't comment on their market strength. I would think that offering only a blade could be problematic.

What would you do differently (if anything) to release a new brand (or recreate one) to the general public? I would have a few more offerings for differing skill levels. I'd flood the social media market with the name and I would recruit and pay a few tour pros to play the brand. (I'm no marketeer, so that's just a swag)

Will Ben Hogan golf clubs exist in its current form in 36 months? I kind of doubt it. I do wish them well, but I think they are doomed from the start.

I'm not sure I know enough to have an opinion on the last three questions, but I don't think that current golfers that spend money care enough about the Ben Hogan brand to keep it in business. I think that most everyone - even younger players - know the name Ben Hogan and probably that he is a legendary golfer, but I think that very few of them know the actual brand. If they do, their knowledge is probably about the same as mine (I'm 34): a company that used to make clubs, is known mostly for blades, and has been dormant and/or non-existent for a good portion of their golfing lives.

And like Freddie said, I don't think enough of the guys who used to play Hogans care enough to keep the company going. My dad and uncle are a good examples. When I was a kid, they were both always very low single digit handicaps. My dad has a huge oak barrel full of a lot of their old clubs in the garage and there are at least three sets of Hogan irons in there, so I know that one or both of them used to play them. Well, my dad is now in his early 60s and my uncle is closing in on 70. Both still play and play pretty well (my dad is about an 8, my uncle is probably more like a 12), but neither one of them has even the slightest interest in running out to buy a set of Hogan blades. They're perfectly happy with the GI irons they've slowly transitioned to in order to help their current games.

I think they're good looking irons but I don't see them staying around for a long time. Just looking at them I think the majority of golfers would just be confused on what club to use when looking at the degree numbers. Love the Hogan name and like that there all in for keeping it going but I just don't see great things coming for them.

I have always loved Hogan irons I really hope to see them in person soon. I hope they are as nice as they used to be I could see them in my bag. My son the Prince laughs all the time about the fact that I owned the same Hogan irons 5 times lol

1. Maybe, there is a lot of established competition currently on the market.

2. Possibly, but correct price point is crucial.

3. Massive, believable marketing campaign. Don't promise 10-20 yard gain in distance or "amazing ball workability"l. This sales pitch is getting old.

4. Hope so... I have played Apex forged irons for many years (still have them) until they just wore out. Best irons I have had, perhaps the new line will rejuvenate the brand.

Being an old diehard Hogan iron player for about two decades, I certainly hope the name does not fade off in the sunset. Am I confident that this will not happen, absolutely not. I feel that they need to mesh some of the old school iron designs with modern technology to make a real go of it. Love seeing the name on new forged irons but think SCOR should have aimed more for an Apex iron look to get back into the market and generate some excitement around the re-introduction of the brand.

I don't think this brand will last. Tiger moves the needle more than anyone in the history of golf and having his name and insignia on a set of blades doesn't really move them in huge numbers. If Tiger can't, nobody can.

It will all come down to two factors:
1- price
2- performance
and in that order for the near term. If #2 is good, #1 becomes less controlling.

I hit the irons yesterday at a demo day. I was not impressed by the feel. They look good at address and in-hand, but the performance was not there. The rep only has one bag of clubs, no tent, no LM, nothing, not even tees. I felt sorry for him, a little bit, to see him try to compete with the big boys. The irons didn't impress me in the least.

Back