• Of course

Votes: 43 63.2%
  • Nope

Votes: 25 36.8%

• Total voters

TwoSolitudes

Swingin' for the fences
Reaction score
I only knew one person who had clubs fitted- and he replaced them the next year anyway.

I am wondering how many go through the process and pay the money to have it done. The percentage is probably a bit higher here, but my guess is less than 5% of the general public fit their clubs.

EDIT: Damn! I spelled 'are' wrong on the poll! Anyway to fix that?

Last edited:
I am wondering how many go through the process and pay the money to have it done.

Fitting is normally free with the purchase of new irons.

You mean the fitting process, or both the process and getting the clubs? I was under the impression that you could be fit for nothing, but then to apply that to a set if clubs cost X dollars over the standard price. Or is it only fitting after the fact that costs extra?

You mean the fitting process, or both the process and getting the clubs? I was under the impression that you could be fit for nothing, but then to apply that to a set if clubs cost X dollars over the standard price. Or is it only fitting after the fact that costs extra?

Nope, buying a new set of clubs it wont cost anything extra.

i don't understand why so many think that going through a fitting costs so much money. it's a service that any retailer will offer. they might charge you a bit up front but that comes off the price when you order the clubs. the reason that they charge a little for the fitting is so that someone doesn't come in, take up their time, and then order their clubs on ebay. it's not fair to the retailer, whether they be a large or small outfit.

i've read a lot on the forum lately where fitting prices seem to be way to exaggerated! the only reason i can think that's the case is b/c people either have never inquired into a fitting or they just like to buy their equipment from ebay, rockbottom, wherever. i could care less where you buy your gear, but please! consider going through a fitting, it's more important than you can imagine.

I have two set's of irons and only one of them have been fitted. I'd like to get the Burners done, but kind of a hassle to send in and wait. The guy here told me it would take 6 to 8 weeks to turn around. I will say that I noticed a very nice difference in the Nickents once they were done.

I answered "Nope" but only because I've never been fitted in the way that it's generally discussed here.

I build my own clubs and I do all of my own shafts, loft and lie adjustments, lengths, etc., and I even grind my own wedges so in THAT sense, my clubs are fitted. I've used launch monitors and I have a general idea of my relevant (6-iron and Driver) swing speeds, ball speeds, rev's and such, but as far as the actual selection of shafts and setting my clubs to certain specs, that's all me. I enjoy working on my own gear and I enjoy experimenting with different things and yes, I've gone off in a few "wrong" directions over the years but overall, I think I have a pretty good handle on what works and doesn't work for me and I generally "get it right" more often than not.

-JP

When I bought my irons and wedges, I had them fitted for length, lie angle, and flex. My other clubs are the standard, off-the-rack variety. They make life so much better than my standard spec starter set. I was always hitting off the toe with my other clubs. Now that I had them lengthened and adjusted, I hit the sweet spot more often.

when I bought my pings I got put through the fitting process. At the time I worked at a golf galaxy and always pushed people to getting their irons fit. At no extra cost and only 15 minutes min I was surprised most people said no. My driver I did not get the shaft fit for me, but I did go to an outdoor range and hit a large number of clubs. Narrowed them down to 3 choices, and then hit the 3 on another day. Took which one worked best for me. I can't wait to hit the launch monitor this fall at the outing.

By the way, TS, we just got the latest Golf datatech numbers and your 5% number may be slightly off. Mizuno for example with their latest shaft optimizer is showing 77% of people that bought Mizuno irons last month from an authorized dealer had them fit.

those other 23 percent were probably people that were either fit previously, or are extremely comfortable with their current shafts. Theres no excuse for not being fitted shaftwise these days. Just walk into your local store, and ask to hit the shaft optimizer. Free, only takes 3 swings to do after warm up, there you go.
By the way, TS, we just got the latest Golf datatech numbers and your 5% number may be slightly off. Mizuno for example with their latest shaft optimizer is showing 77% of people that bought Mizuno irons last month from an authorized dealer had them fit.

I was recently fitted for irons by a golf pro who is also my coach. He made me wait until I had corrected my swing a bit before he did my fitting because I was originally swinging too upright. I had been fitted a few years ago at a golf store. Both times I bought Ping irons. My first fitting was a red dot but my new fitting is yellow dot. The golf store automatically put me in a women's flex shaft because I was a woman. They were too flimsy for me. When my coach tested my swing speed, I was between a soft and regular flex men's shaft. I hit them both and ended up choosing the soft flex because it just felt better. He said I could use either and be fine. I use regular flex on my driver and soft flex on everything else. I hit my new irons so much better than any clubs I have ever had. I have never been fitted for a driver though...maybe one day as I really think it's important too.

p.s. I didn't pay for the fitting but I did pay full retail for the irons since I bought them from the club's fitting/training center.

The only fittings that are free are from the big box stores and would more likely just be a static fitting,no?

The only fittings that are free are from the big box stores and would more likely just be a static fitting,no?

That depends. I found a few Golfsmith fittings to be far more than just static fittings. They are free if you purchase the clubs. Between shaft testing, etc.. it was certainly more than measurements. I also found the fittings at both the clubs we have been members at to be more than static fittings and were also free if you purchase the clubs there.

I find it funny,that many feel the Mizuno Optimizer is the bible. By spitting out 3 shafts,DG S300,PX 5.0 and KBS tour S,how is that a fitting? All 3 shafts play tottally different

I find it funny,that many feel the Mizuno Optimizer is the bible. By spitting out 3 shafts,DG S300,PX 5.0 and KBS tour S,how is that a fitting? All 3 shafts play tottally different

It ranks them in order. And keep in mind for people that have never been fit, this is certainly headed in the right direction.

It ranks them in order. And keep in mind for people that have never been fit, this is certainly headed in the right direction.

Yea,But I do that everyday without the mizuno tool.It does nothing more then what I already do.

But, what it does do,is give the customer more assurance.

Yea,But I do that everyday without the mizuno tool.It does nothing more then what I already do.

But, what it does do,is give the customer more assurance.

The goal behind the Mizuno shaft optimizer was to open the doors to more people getting the right shaft for their game. It is clearly working because 26% got shaft fit for Mizuno irons before the tool was in place and now last month 77% did.

Im not sure anybody thinks it is different than other fittings, but it is quick, easy, and completely free. Whether or not other fittings offer the same thing is irrelevant in my opinion. Of course they do.

I'm in the market for a driver. I think I'll actually get fitted for that this time.

I was recently fitted for irons by a golf pro who is also my coach. He made me wait until I had corrected my swing a bit before he did my fitting because I was originally swinging too upright. I had been fitted a few years ago at a golf store. Both times I bought Ping irons. My first fitting was a red dot but my new fitting is yellow dot. The golf store automatically put me in a women's flex shaft because I was a woman. They were too flimsy for me. When my coach tested my swing speed, I was between a soft and regular flex men's shaft. I hit them both and ended up choosing the soft flex because it just felt better. He said I could use either and be fine. I use regular flex on my driver and soft flex on everything else. I hit my new irons so much better than any clubs I have ever had. I have never been fitted for a driver though...maybe one day as I really think it's important too.

I think you received the best possible fitting possible for a beginner. When I was a beginner, I wasn't taking lessons and decided to purchase a new set of irons. Went through the fitting and because the people at the golf stores are essentially sales people, I was stuck with a shaft that was too soft and replaced it two years later. Yes, there are many helpful people at golf stores, but they can only recommend irons based on what you tell them and after you swing a club a couple times (and often times without you properly warming up). The next least qualified person in helping you choose golf equipment is probably yourself. Sure, I may think or would like to play an extra stiff shaft and a 8.5 degree driver, but what may be the most optimal combo for me is a regular shaft 12 degree driver.

The key is to get fit by someone that can properly assess your swing and game.

my irons are not but I bought them before realizing the importance of getting fit for clubs. my next set will be. everything else has been though

I'm at a point where I would like to take a my current irons in for a fitting and adjustment, I originally only had the irons extended a 1/2" but no lie adjustment. I am hoping it will help with consistency.

I purchased my first set of irons last year and I did get fitted. I'm 5'4" and got them a half inch shorter and 2* flat ( i might need it 4....got long arms..:). I also got my driver shortened an inch. It made a ton of difference in hitting the sweet spot more consistently.

Back