Driving Range at Bigger Courses

Golf Chick

Golf Fashionista
Reaction score
Handicap
Decreasing
At Turtle Bay, Pelican Hill and Ojai Valley In and Spa Golf Course, and other big expensive courses(?)...I've noticed that there are already range balls on the range. Are these so you don't have to purchase range balls and just hit as many as you need? :confused2:

usually with high cost places like this the resort will include range balls. you're already paying x amount for the golf, etc so they include the range balls (usually unlimited)
At Turtle Bay, Pelican Hill and Ojai Valley In and Spa Golf Course, and other big expensive courses(?)...I've noticed that there are already range balls on the range. Are these so you don't have to purchase range balls and just hit as many as you need? :confused2:

Most of the higher end courses usually have balls set out. Some of the resorts I have been to charge a flat fee to use the facilities if your not golfing that day.

I know at Saratoga National(one of the big ones around me), when you play there you have unlimited access to the range before and after your round. The company I used to work for has a corp membership there, which was great. I used to show up 60-90 minutes before tee off and work on the range, bunker, and putting area. I'd also spend about an hour or so after hitting more shots.

If you run out, would you have to pay for more golf balls? :confused2:

No, just move over to the next station or ask them to refill yours.

So the range balls are included in the green fee? That's super cool :)

A big resort type course that I get to play a couple times a year (Branson Creek) has free range balls. It also has the overall best practice facility I think I have ever seen. Anytime I play there I make sure to arrive well ahead of schedule to get full use of it. The only problem is when I spend too much time practicing and wear myself out for the round.

They also have a flat rate (around $15 I think) that you can pay for a couple hours (maybe for the day) to use the facilities. I have always wanted to do that, but it is 45 minutes to an hour away so it really isn't worth the drive when I have other things to do.

Several years ago my club voted to make range balls "free". They raised everybodys dues $10 a month and stopped charging for range balls. This is really great for those of us who like to practice.

When I played in Hawaii with my uncle I remember seeing this for the first time. I thought how cool is that, balls everywhere for me to hit. Then you pay for your round, which at Turtle Bay is over $200 and I was like, hey I need to go hit MORE balls lmao.

Tomorrow morning Im going back to nicest place around my area to use their practice facility. Its $25 for a couple hours but last time I talked to the ranger and a couple other guys and they didnt seem like they really cared how long I was there. This place is awesome. Big ass putting green, bigger chipping green with two sand traps and all kinds of stuff to hit out of and pyramid balls all around to knock over. And of course the range with balls at each station to hit. One day I'll stop spending money on clubs and join a place like that.

Cool. I have never seen that around here. It would be like a golf heaven.

I've seen it at both the Florida and Midwest outings. I have seen it before whenever I've played in scrambles. The course usually sets out barrels of range balls as part of the tournament fees.

like everone said most higher end/higher priced places will always have free range balls which is really cool because when I do get to go to one of these type courses I like to spend as much time there as I can!

On one of our trips to Texas, we stayed in a hotel that was part of a community on Lake Travis just outside Austin. The community itself is a year-round deal, but its primary attraction is of course the lake and it also is home to two golf courses. The courses themselves are nice but are hardly "high end" yet they service the community quite nicely.

By living in the community or by simply staying at the hotel, one has free access to the practice facilities and to as many range balls as one is capable of hitting. The one near where we were staying was awesome in that it was literally alongside the road and opposite one of the courses and anytime someone wishes, they can simply park their car, get out and start hitting balls. The range itself was easily capable of accommodating even the longest hitters and there was also a pitching/chipping green complete with its own teeing area, practice bunkers and of course a putting green.

What I loved about all of it was the accessibility; the fact that I could just drive up and have free access to any of these amenities and the pyramids of balls were kept well stocked and always available. If it wasn't so bloody hot down there in the summer, I wouldn't at all mind living in such a place from either a golfer's or a resident's point of view.

-JP

Almost every course around here has this type of thing. The people that were at the Spring Outing got to enjoy it and they will at the Fall Outing as well. its a nice amenity, that I have never even thought twice about because it is so common in FL. Glad to see other places are doing it more as well.

We just have the golf ball vending machines around here. It was really cool to see the range at Sarasota National at the last outing. Completely different experience and I really enjoyed it. I have a feeling that PGA Nation is going to blow it away though :)

i played at a course near where i grew up called Mountian Top (it's owned by the discovery group) and it's extremely private. the super is a good friend of the family so he got us on there. best range and balls ever. you get driven to the range by a staff member, they have prov1's to hit and the staff member literally stands there as you hit. when you're finished with one club the staff member cleans it for you and asks which club you want to hit next. they also provide rangefinders and gps units on the range so you can get your distances dialed in. then here's the kicker! they have massage therapists there to rub you down so you stay nice and loose til you get to the first tee.

i played at a course near where i grew up called Mountian Top (it's owned by the discovery group) and it's extremely private. the super is a good friend of the family so he got us on there. best range and balls ever. you get driven to the range by a staff member, they have prov1's to hit and the staff member literally stands there as you hit. when you're finished with one club the staff member cleans it for you and asks which club you want to hit next. they also provide rangefinders and gps units on the range so you can get your distances dialed in. then here's the kicker! they have massage therapists there to rub you down so you stay nice and loose til you get to the first tee.

i had a dream like that once... the staff member was hot... and there was less clothing involved

get! out!

Back