Titleist 915 D2 Driver Review

I wouldn't say I'm in the market for a new driver but I did take a few swings with this while at golfsmith earlier this week and wow was i impressed with the feel at impact. Clean hits felt amazing and my numbers were a little eye opening. I don't see myself changing drivers but this club is a worthy option for anyone in the market

Great review, I'd like to give this a shot outside. Only had a chance to hit it indoors at Golf Galaxy and the sound coming off the club face was a little harsh for me but I'd get over it.

I did a driver fitting earlier this year and this was the winner. I absolutely love it. I used to have a 913 D2, Big Bertha (which I also loved) and Amp Cell, and for me I would consider the 915 D2 more forgiving in all aspects than both of those - which is saying a lot. Hitting it on the screws is SOOOO rewarding. It just feels fantastic.

As I work through some swing adjustments, I will also say it's highly resistant to sky ball marks, lol. Granted, I make sure the balls at the range are clean before hitting it with it (ie. no sand, etc), but I've hit several cringe-worthy sky balls with this thing and nary a scar at all. The bottom will show wear eventually though, just as most black drivers do and the 913 did.

Want to hit one. But only got my x2 hot last year and have higher priorities...
loving the fairway and hybrid though...

Mine arrived today. Aldila Rogue Silver 60. Love it!

Striped it today. Tight dispersion and a few more yards than I was seeing with my trusty G25. I am playing the 10.5 at A1 with the Rogue Silver 60 S. The higher loft combined with the tip stiff low spin shaft is giving me a similar ball flight and distance I had with the SLDR I toyed with for a while but with more forgiveness. My swing speed is only in the mid to high 90s but I hit a tight draw with pretty much every swing today. The shaft is so solid, I feel like I can swing away without any fear of a hook. Absolutely loving this combo. Led me to a 76 today. I was looking to lower my spin and my ball flight a touch. Mission accomplished.

Driver is the one new club that I'm looking at putting in my bag this year. The Amp Cell Pro and Kuro Kage combo that I was swinging before I took my hiatus was not the most forgiving combo. Doubt I'll be able to do much with it, at least for awhile. So I'm really glad to see that Titleist has gotten on the GI bandwagon a bit, as I used to love my 910! Really hoping that this is the one for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver is the one new club that I'm looking at putting in my bag this year. The Amp Cell Pro and Kuro Kage combo that I was swinging before I took my hiatus was not the most forgiving combo. Doubt I'll be able to do much with it, at least for awhile. So I'm really glad to see that Titleist has gotten on the GI bandwagon a bit, as I used to love my 910! Really hoping that this is the one for me!

Good to see you back on the hoss Colt

Hit 84.6% of fairways (11/13) with this beauty my last round on Saturday.

I've been working on my driver swing a bit the last few weeks, flattening it out to sweep the ball more. Having gotten used to that, this club quickly has moved near the top of my bag in terms of instilling the most confidence. Tee shot after tee shot was just awesome. I had one drive roll out to 295 yards, as confirmed with laser back to the tee box. For my swing speed (low 100's), I absolutely cannot complain.

The kicker here is that I only hit TWO in that amazing sweet spot that we all love and crave. The rest were off-center to varying degrees, but mostly all ended up near center fairway anywhere from 230-270, depending on how severe the mishit was.

In love with this thing and will reiterate that it is just as forgiving, if not moreso, than my dearly departed Big Bertha.

Hit 84.6% of fairways (11/13) with this beauty my last round on Saturday.

I've been working on my driver swing a bit the last few weeks, flattening it out to sweep the ball more. Having gotten used to that, this club quickly has moved near the top of my bag in terms of instilling the most confidence. Tee shot after tee shot was just awesome. I had one drive roll out to 295 yards, as confirmed with laser back to the tee box. For my swing speed (low 100's), I absolutely cannot complain.

The kicker here is that I only hit TWO in that amazing sweet spot that we all love and crave. The rest were off-center to varying degrees, but mostly all ended up near center fairway anywhere from 230-270, depending on how severe the mishit was.

In love with this thing and will reiterate that it is just as forgiving, if not moreso, than my dearly departed Big Bertha.

I have a similar story, was just killing it yesterday, but only one was center hit, the others (good shots) were as much as 1.5" to heel (I've always traditionally hit off toe). And my golf instructor is also getting me to flatten out my driver swing. The results were almost immediate, and by doing so my swing speed increased by a bit as well.
And FYI, I haven't had the confidence to use a driver at all the last 3 years. It'll be a main weapon this year I hope.

Yesterday at the range, I noticed just how effective this driver is at sending the ball into the wind. It must be because my backspin rates are much lower. I used to get a balloon flight especially with any headwind (my backspin was over 4,000 with my earlier drivers). Yesterday was ~15mph head on with the same mid-penetrating flight and I was still carrying 240+ according to the laser. I was expecting that to be significantly shorter, but I was very impressed.

The tinkerer in me wants to try out some other shafts, even though I was fitted for this one. Just for kicks. But I don't see how that would improve things at all - right now everything with this driver is just perfect. I absolutely love it.

Still torn between this one and the G30. Might just come down to the spin rates that I need, and how much difference there is between those in the two of these.

Still torn between this one and the G30. Might just come down to the spin rates that I need, and how much difference there is between those in the two of these.

I think between the 915D2 and G30 there isn't a wrong choice. I had similar spin rates with both, slightly higher ball speed with the G30, and better dispersion with the 915.

I should add that after stretching out my head cover for a few months it is much more user friendly.
The face/crown of my 915 is starting to look like mashed potatoes for a new-ish club which was expected but still a bit ridiculous.

I should add that after stretching out my head cover for a few months it is much more user friendly.
The face/crown of my 915 is starting to look like mashed potatoes for a new-ish club which was expected but still a bit ridiculous.

Mashed Potatoes? Lots of scuffs from dirt on balls?

Mashed Potatoes? Lots of scuffs from dirt on balls?

Scuffs up REALLY easy. Since I started using grass ranges it's a lot worse, but I don't really clean the balls first.

Scuffs up REALLY easy. Since I started using grass ranges it's a lot worse, but I don't really clean the balls first.

Oh. I always do. My 910 was immaculate when I got rid of it. I'd hope this one is at least as durable.

I make sure I only use clean balls, and I wash my clubs after every use even at the range - I even wax the crown/sole. The face marks up fairly quickly, but more like little specs for me and it's not distracting or bothersome to me. The crown (for me) has been REALLY resistant to sky-ball marks. Again, I make sure the balls are clean, but I've split more than one right in half with the crown on a bad swing. Not a single mark. The sole does scuff up quickly though from the grass/tees.

The small space between the crown and the face put up a good fight, but eventually it gives up and starts to chip just like my old 910.
I've got a wear circle forming on the face after a few thousand balls. I don't really mind and it kind of looks cool.

I took one of these out on the course last night. Setup was D2, in A1 position(whatever that means), and the Diamana S+ shaft in reg flex. Here are just a few things that really stood out to me.

*Purely cosmetic but I like the newer alignment aid.
*The sound to me was not my favorite. Just slightly off putting to my ears.
*Performance seemed really good. The ball seemed to jump off the face pretty nicely. Missed some low on the face and on the toe side and still got some pretty solid results. The 2 that I caught near the sweet spot were really good shots. Didn't track the distance, but it was a mid-high flight and you could see had some umph behind it.

Only 9 holes, so it didn't see a whole lot of action. But I like what they have done with this one. My negative on it is the sound it produces, but heck I know I could get over that. I think it's the most playable Titleist driver I have personally hit.

Agree with a lot of that, ddec. I don't think the sound is quite as good as previous Titleist offerings, but for the improvements in forgiveness it's worth it. I personally have not seen enough of a performance change from the 913D2 (at least for my swing) to justify the high cost of an upgrade, but it's on the shortlist of drivers I'd upgrade to if I had some money to blow (along with the Vapor Pro).

Seems to be a couple of review thread going here on this driver. I really like this driver. Its very accurate, easy to hit and sets up well and I am a so so ball striker. I have tried it in the rogue black 70 and the s+ 60 and they both work well with the d2 head. I would be likely gaming one if there was a Titleist fitter anywhere near. That said I will likely pick up at least one of the fairways.

Back