Course Review - The Bear Trace, Cumberland Mountain. Crossville, TN.

Boom_Boom

Reaction score
Handicap
<18
In our constant need to play somewhere new, we decided to make the hike out to Crossville. At just short of two hours, it is not too bad if the golf is worth it. Being Tennessee, I was expecting a nmice course, but wet and dormant.

Boy, was I wrong...

I was absolutely blown away at how green and lush the turf was. the entire course was just beautiful. I guess that's what a Nicklaus Design brings to the table.

Practice area - B
The driving range was turf, with a few mats if you wanted to use them. Pleny large, well marked and a plethora of targets.
The practice green was smaller than I expected, but still large enough to practice any kind of putt you could think of. Plenty of holes and slopes. The entire short game area was like this... Not huge, but great for practice.

Course conditions - A
The greens had been punched a week or two prior, so they were a bit bumpy, but that's it is a necessary evil.
Other than that, the entire course was immaculate. Not one, single complaint.
I dont know much about turf, but would surely like to know what they use to keep it so green and lush. Some of the best turf I've ever played out of. Most courses would have carts all over the place, but they still had carts on path only because it was a tad wet. They really take care of what they have.

Layout - A
I believe there was 6 tee boxes, with ratings from 76 to 66. Great for all skill levels. The course is as challenging as you want it to be, and an absolute beast from the tips. Nicklaus likes to incorporate a lot of bunkers into his designs.

Pace of Play - B
The marshals we did see were not intrusive. It was a little slow with the great weather and cart path rules. Being stuck behind some seniors didn't help, but it was not what I would call slow. We were done in 4.5 hours (including a stop at the turn for a dog and beer.)

Price - A
Still "Out of Season" until April 1. Paid 36 dollars. Can't beat it.

Amenities - B
Didn't look into locker rooms, but I imagine they are there. Clubhouse was fully stocked and clean. Pleasant staff,
Bar/Grill/Snack Bar had standard fare, including a knockout working the register in short shorts and knee socks! :)
No cart girl today, but normally they do.

Overall - A
Best course I have played in Tennessee for under $100. Without a doubt. I can see myself driving out there once a week, it is THAT good. Better than the RTJ courses I have seen.

665f91cb-dc91-471d-928a-15bae7adc402_zpsbgm8fyvp.png~original

9bbd0ae2-53e2-43d6-9f47-abf5225cd9ee_zps3jswtcvp.jpg~original

89ba8230-21cb-4724-bae8-429ade4b594c_zpsdpqwfnjv.jpg~original

1915bf79-1d5e-4022-b3db-6e7d2484415e_zpsa1s1tpmc.png~original

btcmch1_zpshguxjdbt.jpg~original

Fun to play course we play on our trips to Fairfield Glade. You definitely don't want to be short on that par 3 shown.
Will be playing it again this year, but in the late spring vs the fall trips we normally take.
Nice review.

Nice review, have to put on TOO DO list.

Those pictures are stunning with all the green grass! Send some this way LOL

Thanks for sharing

Nice review. Last time I was that way I missed out on this one. Won't happen again

I've heard from tons of people about how awesome this course is. I've also seen tons of pictures from people that have played it. When I move back to Tennessee in May, I plan on getting to this course ASAP. It's only about 40 minutes away from my house, so it's not out of the way much at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one I want to try someday. The Bear Trace at Harrison Bay (sister facility near Chattanooga) is a nice track too.

I've heard from tons of people about how awesome this course is. I've also seen tons of pictures from people that have played it. When I move back to Tennessee in May, I plan on getting to this course ASAP. It's only about 40 minutes away from my house, so it's not out of the way much at all.

Not trying to divert off the thread, but where are you going to be when you move back Colt?

Will have to put this one on the play list .That's a great looking course .

Great review!

Course Review - The Bear Trace, Cumberland Mountain. Crossville, TN.

This is one I want to try someday. The Bear Trace at Harrison Bay (sister facility near Chattanooga) is a nice track too.

Not trying to divert off the thread, but where are you going to be when you move back Colt?

Probably on the mountain between Dayton and Pikeville. It's in Bledsoe County.

Edit: Just saw you're in Cleveland. You probably know exactly where I'll be living. I'm just down the road from Wooden's Apple Orchard. My family owns that place.

I see the making of a TN gathering.

#justsayin

The course looks to be in amazing and a great deal at that price.

Let's get this started. Looks like I need to schedule a "site visit" for a company in this area sometime soon for work.

Nice review, the course looks fantastic! A great deal as well I would play there quite a bit for the quality of golf.

I see the making of a TN gathering.

#justsayin

You could probably coax some GA THPers up there.

Depending on date, I'm in.

Heck that's just a hop ,skip and a jump for us . #AintScared

Let's get this started. Looks like I need to schedule a "site visit" for a company in this area sometime soon for work.

I'm in. I NEED this!

We should prob move this talk to another thread. Just sayin

We should prob move this talk to another thread. Just sayin

But doesn't it pertain if we play this course? Just saying!

Probably on the mountain between Dayton and Pikeville. It's in Bledsoe County.

Edit: Just saw you're in Cleveland. You probably know exactly where I'll be living. I'm just down the road from Wooden's Apple Orchard. My family owns that place.

early welcome back to the valley. I grew up down the road in Jasper.

Back