What is the highest lofted wedge you bag and why?

Due the lower lofting in my irons I've gotten rid of the 58* and now the 54 is the highest loft in the bag, I love the simplicity of my choices.

I have a 58 right now. It's all the wedge I need as far as loft. I play it out of the sand when need be.

59 degree, because I'm not good enough for a 60

64 bent up to 66. I'm just awesome.

Not really. I carry a 58 deg but I only use it when there is little room between the flag and the edge of the green. Otherwise, 52 is my goto Wedge.

58 for me.

My wedges are set up 50, 54, 58

Still a 58 for me. Used to carry a 60, but I was too bladey with it. Haven't felt the need for anything higher than 58 for some time though.

58 it's absolutely amazing out of the sand for me... That's all I use it for really.

I carry a 60 degree from time to time but rarely use it.

Due the lower lofting in my irons I've gotten rid of the 58* and now the 54 is the highest loft in the bag, I love the simplicity of my choices.

I'm trying this out myself right now. Just took the 58* out and test driving just running the 54* as my sand/specialty shot wedge, hoping to take the guesswork out of my greenside play.

I'm a trouble maker, but I'll ask since I'm bored lol.

How does manipulating club face take guesswork out? And what about distance control inside 100 yards? Doesn't that introduce guess work since you have to figure out how far to grip down or open the face?

How does manipulating club face take guesswork out? And what about distance control inside 100 yards? Doesn't that introduce guess work since you have to figure out how far to grip down or open the face?

It's a fair question, and honestly I'm not sure on the answer just yet - this idea still awaits a test drive.

But my thoughts for now are as follows. I hardly ever use the 54* and 58* wedges as full swing clubs because the forgiveness isn't there - so that's not a concern. With the greenside work, yes there could be some consternation regarding face angles/choke ups/etc. But right now I find that I pretty much just either grab the 54* or 58* wedge without too much logic around the greens anyways. The extra slot really isn't getting used, it's only getting used out of a desire to use both clubs just cause they're in the bag. And as far as opening up the face, I'm not one to lay it wide open except on bunker shots really, so I envision just opening it slightly when I need a little extra spin.

I gotcha man. I like the variety that comes with different wedge games. It's why I don't I'll never say XX° loft should never be played by ams. We all sort of put our own mark on it much more than any other facet of the game.

I gotcha man. I like the variety that comes with different wedge games. It's why I don't I'll never say XX° loft should never be played by ams. We all sort of put our own mark on it much more than any other facet of the game.

Totally. Plenty of guys I play with game a 60 and do wonderful things with it, where for me all I do is blade those damn things haha. Just trying to figure out what will do me more good in practice, the gap filler long club or the extra wedge I use maybe 1-2 times a round. We do have a lot of courses around here where specific layup distances are pretty important, and I had a monster gap between 195-200 yard club and 230 yd + club.

I play a 58* because any more and I start introducing 140 yard line drives into the picture.

60*, but I make sure I spend a lot of time practicing with it since it's in my bag. My 56* has a lot of bounce on it, so I like having something in the bag that's lower profile and can hit some high, soft-landing balls with.

EDIT: I should have to but just letting you know, I am just talking. No angry typing going on...lol

You asked...And Jman thanked you so I will answer

I know how far my wedge travels with a full, 3/4 and half swing. I know how far it travels when I just use my arms and not hip action to take spin off it. I know how far the wedge goes with the three swings while choking down an inch or two. I know if I lay the face wide open and open my stance on my 54* I need to swing 3/4 to get a 20 yd flop that will end up right of the flag. I know with a slightly open face I can add some loft to carry a small grove of trees. I know all this because I work with the club and these shots on the regular. Most that carry a 60 or 58 have no clue what it can actually do. I see it more often then not, the 60 costing people shots because it was the wrong play. I am all for playing what you want, but I think its silly if its costing you shots.

I know how far my wedge travels with a full, 3/4 and half swing. I know how far it travels when I just use my arms and not hip action to take spin off it. I know how far the wedge goes with the three swings while choking down an inch or two. I know if I lay the face wide open and open my stance on my 54* I need to swing 3/4 to get a 20 yd flop that will end up right of the flag. I know with a slightly open face I can add some loft to carry a small grove of trees. I know all this because I work with the club and these shots on the regular. Most that carry a 60 or 58 have no clue what it can actually do. I see it more often then not, the 60 costing people shots because it was the wrong play. I am all for playing what you want, but I think its silly if its costing you shots.

Freddie has it down a lot better than I do, but this is where I hope to be. Taking club selection out as a variable around the greens allows you to get to know your wedge really well.

I'd say that most don't have a clue what any wedge in their bag can do, much less a 58 or 60 and that's all related to how often they practice with them. I just don't think it's exclusive to the number of wedges you play or the lofts.

I agree 110%, NAIL MEET HAMMER
I'd say that most don't have a clue what any wedge in their bag can do, much less a 58 or 60 and that's all related to how often they practice with them. I just don't think it's exclusive to the number of wedges you play or the lofts.

60* I went from an old setup with PW and SW to a more "modern" setup with PW, GW, SW, and LW.

I often have to hit over something and then stop the ball quickly in order to keep the ball from rolling over the green. That's a typical need here, and the 60 is great. I also have a 56 and 52. Overall the 52 gets the most use among all the wedges, used for everything from full shots and ranged pitches to a variety of chipping needs. For sand shots I find that I don't use any wedge more than the others; it depends.

I carry a 60/07 and I love it inside 40yds and around the greens. I tend to often end up short-sided on downslopes and it slides right underneath the ball and pops it up nicely.

I'll fix the problem that gets me into that situation at some point. :alien:

I have a 60 but have only hit it a couple of times this year. May leave it out for awhile and stay with a 56.

56 degree is highest in the bag. I have a 60, but , truthfully, I can't contol the distsnce and it just costs me strokes. It'll stay in the closet.

I carry a 58 degree wedge as my highest loft. Growing up my 60 degree was my favorite club, but to keep my gaps close I game the 58. I have a high bounce 54 degree wedge and a lower bounce 58 degree wedge. The high and low bounce wedges give me more options in different sand or when playing out of different lies. The 58 has also become my go to club for hitting a 30 yard pitch with check spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back