Periscope entertainment

6ixOhFore

Husky Eyes
Reaction score
Handicap
I know its semi a new app, causing some stir ups. Recently been hooked on the app, from viewing Actors and comedians and random viewers. Last night I tuned into Andy Dick live viewing of driving back home. It was quite intertaining and funny at times. Today found some channels offering trivia giving out prepaid visa cards. Seems like it is something that will take off soon. I have broadcasted 1 time, plan on starting a regular channel of my trail and tribulations daily. Has anyone else checked this out, what are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitley need to learn More about this. From what I've heard in the media world some are using it during games. Sounds like something that might be useful during next basketball season, I just don't know enough about it yet.

The app that got Stephanie Wie's credentials pulled for the rest of the PGA season and is part of a lawsuit coming from the mayweather/pacquiao fight.

dont know much about it but seems like a cool app. Been meaning to check it out but seem to forget

She deserved her credentials pulled.
She was told not to do it once, did it again anyway and now is upset and having a buddy play bully to get them back.

The crying from people that the rules are outdated (so are half the rules of golf) are irrelevant and frankly TV rights are a HUGE deal. #NoLoss

Whoa. Missed the Wie thing. Off to google.

Not saying she didn't deserve what she got, she was definitely in the wrong. Totally agree with the tv rights. It will be interesting to see how things play out with the use of this app at sporting events.

The pacquiao fight had over 10k viewers and there were several different streams that were shutdown. The concern of lost ppv buys as a result.

Sporting events in general will be susceptible to the fan streaming using this app and the potential for rights infringement. Technology is a good thing but also a bad thing and IMO sports industry will have to look at how fans use new apps and the affects it has on the sports rights to the viewing and reporting of the events.

TV rights are a HUGE deal. #NoLoss

Totally agree with the tv rights. It will be interesting to see how things play out with the use of this app at sporting events.
I might not have to worry about the TV rights for Towson...they are not huge :banana:

But this also reminds me of when the PGA Tour banned live tweeting during events several years ago. I don't know if they have relented on that, but i would think so, now that phones are allowed on the course, it'd be pretty hard to contain it.

I might not have to worry about the TV rights for Towson...they are not huge :banana:

But this also reminds me of when the PGA Tour banned live tweeting during events several years ago. I don't know if they have relented on that, but i would think so, now that phones are allowed on the course, it'd be pretty hard to contain it.

To an extent yes. The difference being that broadcast rights are really important to the health of the league. Certainly more so than a "writer" that uses social media as their tools. It would be one thing if the ban happened on 1st offense. This however was not the first offense and the tour had every right (and should have) to have done what they did.

It has opened a whole new can of worms for a lot of things like concerts & sporting events. Especially the PPV angle

Last edited:
I agree on the Wie topic. She called their bluff after the warning and they reacted accordingly. She's enjoying the attention as well.

I definitley need to learn More about this. From what I've heard in the media world some are using it during games. Sounds like something that might be useful during next basketball season, I just don't know enough about it yet.

The app that got Stephanie Wie's credentials pulled for the rest of the PGA season and is part of a lawsuit coming from the mayweather/pacquiao fight.

dont know much about it but seems like a cool app. Been meaning to check it out but seem to forget

I have it installed on my phone (does not mean I have any experience with it)... was thinking we could do a 'Live from the Range" on Saturday...

I have it installed on my phone (does not mean I have any experience with it)... was thinking we could do a 'Live from the Range" on Saturday...

Funny, i was thinking the samething and downloaded it after this thread to use on Saturday.

Saw a comment that MLB isn't worried about its use since people have been taking images of their players for quite some time and the reporter stated that how many people are going to stream a full inning or for that matter an entire baseball game holding their phone up.

I believe there is still some sort of ban on live tweeting results from any media person at the event. not sure if that applies to media watching on TV from their homes or another location like the studio.

It has opened a whole new can of works for a lot of things like concerts & sporting events. Especially the PPV angle

Concerts may be impacted but so many people today already have their phones out and record performances and share on social media. i was at a brad paisley concert in vegas a couple years ago and the entire stage area had their phones out. PPV will be the big issue and is coming to a front with the mayweather/pacquiao fight. There was a big crackdown during the fight and numerous streams with thousands of viewers on each. I would imagine this cut down the amount of $100 ppv buys.

She deserved her credentials pulled.
She was told not to do it once, did it again anyway and now is upset and having a buddy play bully to get them back.

The crying from people that the rules are outdated (so are half the rules of golf) are irrelevant and frankly TV rights are a HUGE deal. #NoLoss

What TV rights were infringed from a Monday practice round that was not televised? That makes zero sense. The fact it was not a first offense, I get that and she got what she deserved based only on that part of it. But there were no TV rights impinged by this incident, so that is a faulty argument.

Periscope entertainment

To an extent yes. The difference being that broadcast rights are really important to the health of the league. Certainly more so than a "writer" that uses social media as their tools. It would be one thing if the ban happened on 1st offense. This however was not the first offense and the tour had every right (and should have) to have done what they did.

Couldn't agree more especially when warned and she continued.

Most teams (college in my experience) used to prohibit media from taking photos from press row. You had to have a photo credential and take them from the designated area, usually under the basket.

Now it's common place to see all sorts of phone and regular cameras along press row taking pics and video (full disclosure I do it as well)

I was even able to capture a great clip of a buzzer beating shot on video and when I posted it to twitter, I got a mention, favorite and thanks from the league office.

But to your point on TV rights, they should be protected as much as possible. I don't envy the job of Media relations and SID's. It's a lot for them to keep a handle on.

What TV rights were infringed from a Monday practice round that was not televised? That makes zero sense. The fact it was not a first offense, I get that and she got what she deserved based only on that part of it. But there were no TV rights impinged by this incident, so that is a faulty argument.
Media rules are very specific about broadcast rights regardless if they are aired. Something on or not on tv has little impact on the rules in place.

Media rules are very specific about broadcast rights regardless if they are aired. Something on or not on tv has little impact on the rules in place.

So to understand this correctly, the fact that nobody broadcasts the practice rounds on TV means that truly NOBODY can broadcast it? I am not familiar with media rules obviously, this seems like sheer stupidity.

So to understand this correctly, the fact that nobody broadcasts the practice rounds on TV means that truly NOBODY can broadcast it? I am not familiar with media rules obviously, this seems like sheer stupidity.

Really? Because the PGA Tour has Periscope from the range live this week.
Ever see the Golf Channel's Live from the _________?

They do cover practice range sessions, practice rounds occasionally and more. Its part of their contract on the media rights.

Taking that without any form of compensation and grabbing viewership away from rights' payers and thinking its okay is laughable. Especially after being told once already. Hell the PGA Tour has Skratch TV designed specifically for the short spots and Periscope among other things.

Really? Because the PGA Tour has Periscope from the range live this week.
Ever see the Golf Channel's Live from the _________?

They do cover practice range sessions, practice rounds occasionally and more. Its part of their contract on the media rights.

Taking that without any form of compensation and grabbing viewership away from rights' payers and thinking its okay is laughable. Especially after being told once already. Hell the PGA Tour has Skratch TV designed specifically for the short spots and Periscope among other things.

I will admit to not watching much ever of any of the "Live at" shows. I'm rarely interested in talking heads talking about golf on TV. I want to see actual golf on TV when I tune in, which is why TGC is rarely on in my house M-W. I am definitely not the target audience for that. Again, that is why I prefaced it with stating I am unaware of the media rights as a whole. I am not as connected to this as you are. I appreciate you pointing things out about it.

I have never heard of Skratch TV before you just typed that. Will look around for that.

I always thought she kind of pushed her way into golf. I used to read her stuff but stopped because it seemed more entertainment then golf news.

Not a fan of periscope to be honest, at all. But, the Vine fad wore out quickly with me as well. Different strokes though.

I'm so excited there is now another app that I will have to battle high schoolers trying to find ways to use it all damn day on for things that will cause nothing but trouble. Awesome.

We're a society of exhibitionists and voyeurs. Not for me.

I totaly missed the Michelle wie story, wow that is silly as she was warned then. Rob I think that would be a great idea, seen a couple of tv stations do a behind the scenes of their shows and also a broadcasting on this app. I have also seen a couple of live baseball and for that matter nba playoff games, mostly for a couple of innings. The live from the range is something I will be getting into from to time , feel free to add me under the same name as here. I usually have the kiddo with me and his commentary is legendary. Other then that, the app seems to be pretty cool. Lots of mixed feelings on the topic but I get the view from both sides of the coin.

There is no Michelle Wie story. The "story" is about Stephanie Wei and her "reporting".

There is no Michelle Wie story. The "story" is about Stephanie Wei and her "reporting".

Ah gotcha JB, she got what she deserved then. expecially if warned once before.

I always thought she kind of pushed her way into golf. I used to read her stuff but stopped because it seemed more entertainment then golf news.

pretty much. from what i understand she left a job in financial field to pursue her blog full time. i don't really read her stuff either although for some reason i am still following her on twitter, which is where i saw the stuff about her credentials being pulled and how one of her "friends" was sticking up for her. She pushed the PGA's buttons and lost.

definitely more on the entertainment side of the "reporting" than serious stuff.

Back