Anyone play a season/s without keeping score ?

Mystery Meat

Ben Hogan Fan
Reaction score
Handicap
Bad Gas
Started chatting with a coworker who is a very serious low handicap golfer in the area that has been playing golf for 30 plus years like me. Anyway; found it interesting that he had a stretch of 5 or so seasons that he would never keep score. He would join up with his friends or match up with people at courses and just tell them not to write his scores down. He mentioned that this was about 15 or so years back. It wasn't because of his game slouching or lack of playing time or learning a new swing. He literally stopped keeping score and just went thru thru the motions. Mentioned he played all over the states this way as he travels and golfs. Said he loved it and might try it again for a season

Was a great story really ; and made me really appreciate and respect how people love golf and for what reasons

anyone else ever ever done this for an extended time? And not do to poor playing or lessons ?

Last year I gave up on score. I was too worried bout my score that it affected my game. Once I ditched teh scorecard I was able to focus on ball striking and course management.

I do this from time to time, especially if there's something in my game I'm tinkering with. I don't keep score so I can just focus on the process and not the result.

I did this a lot a couple of years ago when I made myself play a draw instead of a fade. If I would've kept score during that time, it might've broken me. Lol

Ty Webb never kept his score.

I can't go a round without keeping score...so no.

Never for a season. But I do it for a round or two here or there.

Periodically if I'm playing as a solo and just want to practice

I very rarely physically write down my score but always know what I am in relation to par.

i don't write down my score, i keep it in my head. ​If playing partners want to keep it on the card I am fine with that.

Not an entire season but I have played rounds where a score card was not used. There are times when keeping a score would not be in my best interest towards developing a positive attitude. During those rounds I play a game call "Good Shots". I only record (mentally) the well struck shots during the round. I go back home and dwell on those good shots and they are the ones I dwell on for my next time out. If you want to keep score all the time, cool but don't let it rule who you are.

Not a season. A round, or portion of a round yes.

i don't write down my score, i keep it in my head. ​If playing partners want to keep it on the card I am fine with that.
This is the way I have been for 25 years. Unfortunately I don't have the option of not keeping score - My brain is wired to keep score for me automatically. I always know how many over/under I am.

I want to keep score but what I need to get away from is peeks at my overall score during a round. I am much better just focusing on one hole at a time.

Not for a whole season but I do it a lot, especially when I am playing by myself and the course is empty I will play 2 or 3 balls.

If I'm playing solo and just want to practice or sometimes at my home course.

I want to thank you for starting this thread. Recently, I've been trying to rotate instead of sway. My ball striking has suffered. Yesterday, we played and at one point I quit keeping score. My shots improved a lot. The next few rounds may be "scoreless."

If not, I may get aggravated enough to quit, and don't want that.

Jack

This is the way I have been for 25 years. Unfortunately I don't have the option of not keeping score - My brain is wired to keep score for me automatically. I always know how many over/under I am.
I don't use a scorecard anymore, unless it's a tournament, cause I play with Game Golf but I always know pretty much where I stand in relation to par. I'd like to find the guy who plays a regular round (not 2 or 3 balls, practice, etc.) and truly doesn't know his score so I can find out how he does it.

I haven't kept score since 2013. In that time I played all but one round as a single.

I seem to always know where I'm sitting score wise, even when I'm not even thinking about score.

Up until my dad started playing with a league he would never keep scores. I really only started when I started keeping a handicap in the past 5 or 6 years.

Some good posts. IMHO this almost seems to relaxed to me, which is fine. I would just see this turning into a driving range experience to me after a while of doing this. As a single, (not keeping score)would give me an excuse to drop another ball/ improve lies and just play care free wherever it goes so what attitude. Don't get me wrong, I still play 9 holes with no score focusing on objectives besides score. But doing this for a whole season or multiple would take away from actual score card numbers. I guess you can judge progress in golf by quality of shots , but to me score is the best judge. Again , I do this occasionally for practice only

Not to this extent, but I don't keep track of the total until the round is over. Keeps me focused on the hole in front of me and less back nine/ front nine pressure.

Back