2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This interests me as I would very much like to add some clubhead speed, but I've had difficulty because quite frankly, I have no clue how to do it. I imagine strength training is helpful, but won't on it's own be much help at all.
It won't on its own. But making your hips, quads, hammies, glutes and spinal erectors stronger will make it easier to support your body as you play golf

The best way to add clubhead is to refine swing mechanics.

I started to lift weights about 2 years ago and usually do power lifting ie bench squat should presses and so on and I have noticed little to no gain in club head speed. The main benefit I saw was stamina. I no longer felt like I had tired arms by the middle to end of the round. I could go full bore from start to finish of a round and that in itself helped me tremendously.
We are agreeing. Presses will not make a faster golf swing. I think overhead presses are better than bench presses. The biggest benefit of a OHP is the general health of the rotator cuff and structure around the shoulder.

I was all about bulk and power lifting a few years ago, after snapping my bicep tendon off the bone and having surgery its funny how ones views change.

My workouts now cardio and then high rep low weight exercises. Not to pat myself on the back, but I think it is working pretty good as for a 47 year old I feel very very active and healthy.

It is all about what you want.

Longer and leaner muscles are more in line with my goals for golf, I don't want bulk, bulk does zero good for me. I've been there, and I have done that, for many many years.

Last edited:
Heavy OHP are good for the rotator cuff and structure of the shoulder????? That could not be farther from the truth.

We are agreeing. Presses will not make a faster golf swing. I think overhead presses are better than bench presses. The biggest benefit of a OHP is the general health of the rotator cuff and structure around the shoulder.

It won't on its own. But making your hips, quads, hammies, glutes and spinal erectors stronger will make it easier to support your body as you play golf

The best way to add clubhead is to refine swing mechanics.

Then I'm on the right track. Took a lesson this weekend and planning on a few more over the next few months.

Takeaway is, leg day = good for golf. I run hills a lot too, so I imagine that is helpful as well.

I am right there with you blu. I just think you are slighty discounting the actual gaines yoga could provide you in terms of strength.

http://life.gaiam.com/article/5-yoga-poses-build-muscle

I'm not slightly discounting yoga's ability to build strength. I am completely discounting it. I didn't say yoga wasn't good for anything. I just said that it is not strength training. Also, let's be very clear, I do not think bodybuilding is good for anything either. I think bodybuilding is garbage.

Depends on your definition of strength, really. I do not believe isometrically holding a progressively lighter weight will build strength.

Heavy OHP are good for the rotator cuff and structure of the shoulder????? That could not be farther from the truth.

How so? What part of a standing barbell press damages the shoulder?

Skip to 6:30 in this video. It is the most succinct and complete explanation for why a standing press will not damage your rotator cuff.

[video=youtube;CnBmiBqp-AI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnBmiBqp-AI[/video]

I'm not slightly discounting yoga's ability to build strength. I am completely discounting it. I didn't say yoga wasn't good for anything. I just said that it is not strength training. Also, let's be very clear, I do not think bodybuilding is good for anything either. I think bodybuilding is garbage.

Depends on your definition of strength, really. I do not believe isometrically holding a progressively lighter weight will build strength.

Well lets put it this way. If a complete novice enters a Yoga class and cant even do a push up. I would put 1 million of dllars I dont have that if they stuck with it and did it the right would be able to lift their own body wight with ease, where previously they couldnt. You are right Yoga is not primarily a strength building activity or geared toward it at all. But you will develop strength during it. and this might be where we are just missing each other.

Heavy overhead presses put a lot of strain on the tendons and ligaments that hold the shoulder in place.

I do OHP, but I do them very light with high reps.

I have been around gyms for 30 years, and I can count on hand how many times I have seen guys using proper form when doing heavy OHP.

How so? What part of a standing barbell press damages the shoulder?

Skip to 6:30 in this video. It is the most succinct and complete explanation for why a standing press will not damage your rotator cuff.

[video=youtube;CnBmiBqp-AI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnBmiBqp-AI[/video]

Well lets put it this way. If a complete novice enters a Yoga class and cant even do a push up. I would put 1 million of dllars I dont have that if they stuck with it and did it the right would be able to lift their own body wight with ease, where previously they couldnt. You are right Yoga is not primarily a strength building activity or geared toward it at all. But you will develop strength during it. and this might be where we are just missing each other.

We are agreeing again. My point is that, you have acknowledged it to a degree here and I just want to further delineate this, there will be a point where all of the possible strength gains associated with yoga will stop. At that point, yoga is no longer a strength building endeavor.

First sentence said it all.A fellowship trained orthopedic surgeon told me squats were out. Not much else but those for sure. I do miss them.Also confirmed that with rep for Styker who make my knees.
I'm not a doctor, I don't play one on TV, but not all squats are created equal. A squat to proper depth doesn't really endanger the knee.

Heavy overhead presses put a lot of strain on the tendons and ligaments that hold the shoulder in place.

I do OHP, but I do them very light with high reps.

I have been around gyms for 30 years, and I can count on hand how many times I have seen guys using proper form when doing heavy OHP.

Did you watch the video? The problem with presses causing damage to the soft tissue is the improper form used to complete the press. Proper form will not damage the rotator cuff. It is up to the trainee to make a conscience effort to complete the press with proper form.

We are agreeing again. My point is that, you have acknowledged it to a degree here and I just want to further delineate this, there will be a point where all of the possible strength gains associated with yoga will stop. At that point, yoga is no longer a strength building endeavor.

Weight belts? haha

you missed the point, going heavy on an OHP for anyone other than a professional power lifter is not worth the risk.
I use 20 lb DB's and do 4 sets of 25, use proper form, and guess what.....that works!!!

Did you watch the video? The problem with presses causing damage to the soft tissue is the improper form used to complete the press. Proper form will not damage the rotator cuff. It is up to the trainee to make a conscience effort to complete the press with proper form.

Weight belts? haha

depends on the belt. A belt should not support the spine. A belt with a consistent width will add an exterior resistance and make it easier to build inter-abdominal pressure for spinal support. It is the same reason why we can do more push ups on a wood floor than we can do on a mattress

you missed the point, going heavy on an OHP for anyone other than a professional power lifter is not worth the risk.
I use 20 lb DB's and do 4 sets of 25, use proper form, and guess what.....that works!!!

FWIW, most powerlifters do not press since it is not a competition lift. I will fundamentally disagree with you that heavy presses (heavy is relative) do not damage the shoulder. Improper form damages the shoulder.

First sentence said it all.A fellowship trained orthopedic surgeon told me squats were out. Not much else but those for sure. I do miss them.Also confirmed that with rep for Styker who make my knees.

You do you. I can't see how strengthening the tissue around the knee will damage the knees. Improper form will damage the knees, I agree.

my fitness pal is a great tool you can on your phone.

I fight the wanting to eat junk at night as well. I now make a smoothie at night when that eats. Protein powder, some frozen berries some plain greek yogurt and you are good to go

Anyone know a good site to get a meal plan setup for losing weight? I have lost a little but need a meal plan, because I find myself snacking and eating late. I need a plan to stick to.

my fitness pal is a great tool you can on your phone.

I fight the wanting to eat junk at night as well. I now make a smoothie at night when that eats. Protein powder, some frozen berries some plain greek yogurt and you are good to go

I freakin love these, though I usually add some orange juice.

a young whipper snapper like you can handle all the sugar in OJ :p

As to eating, the main thing I do, is avoid processed foods and watch sugar, than and steady exercise is all a person needs :)

I freakin love these, though I usually add some orange juice.

Out of curiosity, what press/shoulder exercise is worth the risk then? It can't be the bench press, since the risk of impingement is higher and the actual risk of death is much more real than in a standing press. Shoulder raises have serious risks of impingement. High rep sets will indefinitely have form breakdowns at the higher reps which will increase the risk of injury.

When done to lower rep counts, let's just say 5, a standing barbell press (as illustrated in the video I posted) finishes in a position where the shoulders are not supporting the weight. Rather the trapezius muscle group is supporting the loaded barbell in a position of perfect balance directly over the glenohumeral joint. The scapulas are free to move which eliminates the risk for impingement.

What is a better pressing lift?

I do not research all this stuff on Google and you tube. I know what I have seen over 30 years at gyms and what I have done to myself. I know for a fact it is easier to keep proper for going at 50 percent of max weight for more reps than 100 percent of max weight with lower reps.
Bad form is recipe for disaster.

This all leads to another good argumemt, the fact that people will tell you that you you can only get strong doing high weight low reps, I think that is a crock. You can get just as strong doing lower weight with high reps. I think this thinking was started by big guys who are lazy.

I feel great today, this rehab program seems to be working. Normally my pain comes back in a day, 2 days no pain and I feel more energetic and lively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not research all this stuff on Google and you tube. I know what I have seen over 30 years at gyms and what I have done to myself. I know for a fact it is easier to keep proper for going at 50 percent of max weight for more reps than 100 percent of max weight with lower reps.
Bad form is recipe for disaster.

This all leads to another good argumemt, the fact that people will tell you that you you can only get strong doing high weight low reps, I think that is a crock. You can get just as strong doing lower weight with high reps. I think this thinking was started by big guys who are lazy.
You can get strong with high reps. But you will mostly get hypertrophy (bulk). Doing 5 sets of 15 at 50% will not train you to lift heavier weights. It will not make you as strong as 3x5 at 90%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back