What makes you play well?

I am always a grinder when playing for score, but some of my best rounds ever were when I was playing for my team in college...I seemed to concentrate even more when I knew others were counting on me doing well.

A few things
I try to think "fairways and greens".
I try to hit away from trouble. . .i/e if a pin is tucked behind a bunker I'll play it safe, unless I am hitting an 8-iron or less.
When I get in trouble, say a fairway bunker, I take my lumps. I'll use a club with enough loft that it doesn't hit the lip. I may be short of the green, but at least I'll have a pitch and putt for par.

Warm weather and sunshine.

It's no secret I hate the cold with a passion and I'm almost useless when I'm playing in it.

The warmth allows me to loosen up and feel good while getting around the course.

I had my PB on Saturday. I took it one shot at a time and accepted whatever results came from each shot and played what I had.

Congrats! I absolutely need to get better at this.

I'm a mood and momentum kind of player, if I start well it helps a lot for me. But I beat myself down way to easily.

Being relaxed. Playing by myself or with people I'm comfortable with. Not over swinging and not getting worked up about mis hits.

Being competitive and being slightly pissed off at the same time. That really drives me to play some good golf for some reason.

Being competitive and being slightly pissed off at the same time. That really drives me to play some good golf for some reason.
This also seems to work for me. I'll have a bad front nine, get angry, and have really good back nine

A dry golf course, mid 80's temp wise, and a Vicodin so my hips and knees don't hurt

noticed if I have sex before a round.....like hours before......... I play good for some reason....

noticed if I have sex before a round.....like hours before......... I play good for some reason....
It makes sense, relaxes you and probably keeps you from doing stupid things.

I play well when the pace of play is fast and I'm not focused on playing well.

Sounds about right. It's crazy what just a little extra aggravation & testosterone pumping will do for your swing & focus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I stop thinking about what I'm doing, I very often see a run of good holes. Then the wheels fall off. I would love to figure out how to extend that happy time of just taking aim and swinging away.

When my mind is clear and I'm not worrying about my mechanics or score. Just playing the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While it doesn't make me play well, what I need to play well is calm, serenity and finding a rythme. As soon as I feel even the slightest bit rushed my game collapses. It was once pointed out to me by a friend that all it takes for my game to go to #$@% is for me to look back and see somebody waiting in the fairway or on the tee, or even coming up the fairway 2 holes back. I never thought about it but this person was and still is absolutely right. Just that little feeling of somebody possibly waiting for me completely disrupts my entire mindset. It's something else I'm working on letting go of. BTW: Me and this guy play 2:30 rounds regularly so I'm not slow.

While it doesn't make me play well, what I need to play well is calm, serenity and finding a rythme. As soon as I feel even the slightest bit rushed my game collapses. It was once pointed out to me by a friend that all it takes for my game to go to #$@% is for me to look back and see somebody waiting in the fairway or on the tee, or even coming up the fairway 2 holes back. I never thought about it but this person was and still is absolutely right. Just that little feeling of somebody possibly waiting for me completely disrupts my entire mindset. It's something else I'm working on letting go of. BTW: Me and this guy play 2:30 rounds regularly so I'm not slow.
I'm with you on this. If my buddies are playing bad and slow then I feel I need to play fast and rush and it all goes to hell from there.

What makes me play much much much better is take 2-3 practice swings with my feet together taking 3/4 swings. Then step up and swing just like my brain felt a second before. Since I am a over swinger I end up with a full swing but with good hip and shoulder turn. Helps out a ton to stay on tempo.

When I drive the ball well I rarely shoot over 75. If my tee ball is errant it puts pressure on the rest of my game and I find it tough to score.

Back