Dent's Leauge/Tournament Thread

What happened with the four straight bogey's? Did you tweak something in your swing, or just got caught on a bad run?

78 is still a solid score! Do you play a variety of courses, or are there main ones on your circuit?

What happened with the four straight bogey's? Did you tweak something in your swing, or just got caught on a bad run?

78 is still a solid score! Do you play a variety of courses, or are there main ones on your circuit?

The tournament was hosted by a local school near us, so coincidently we played the same course we play our leauge on.

The first bogey was on a par 5. I thought my drive was going straight down the pipe, but a gust of wind took it into some trees and sent it back another 20 yards. I had to punch out and was still 200 yards out.

The second bogey was a 3 putt GIR on a par 3

The third bogey I hit a nice draw down a dogleg left and it should have gone onto the fairway but I unfortunately hit the cart path, and it bounced behind a tree, I had to punch out and could not make an up and down from there

My fourth was just a terrible par 3 tee shot.

Overall I just couldn't get out of the quick slump there.

Tough break, but sounds like it's nothing to freak about.. Maybe the next time you play everything will play into your favour!

How long does your season last?

Still, a 78 isn't bad Dent! You'll get it down soon enough.

Tough break, but sounds like it's nothing to freak about.. Maybe the next time you play everything will play into your favour!

How long does your season last?

We had a big provincial tournament at the end of golf season (September) then a big break for winter and then leauge and tournaments run from April - June.

Still, a 78 isn't bad Dent! You'll get it down soon enough.

Thanks Smalls. I was a bit dissapointed with the score despite how well I played. As I was out there i thought "Sheesh, i gotta play this good everytime just to shoot a 78?"

Thanks Smalls. I was a bit dissapointed with the score despite how well I played. As I was out there i thought "Sheesh, i gotta play this good everytime just to shoot a 78?"

We all have rounds like that. Just this week I shot 76 and felt it was the best ball striking and tee shots I have ever hit. I didnt putt bad, they just werent falling. Match the two up and you end up with a 72 or 73. Keep your chin up, it will all come together.

We all have rounds like that. Just this week I shot 76 and felt it was the best ball striking and tee shots I have ever hit. I didnt putt bad, they just werent falling. Match the two up and you end up with a 72 or 73. Keep your chin up, it will all come together.

Thanks JB!

Another Leauge match wednesday and a tournament Friday so I will update this thread once again.

Quick update: The other two guys won their match on wednesday as well to put our team 4-0 in leauge play.

May 26th:

Our last leauge match until playoffs. We got the standings today and as of before the match we were in First place ahead of another school by 1.5 points. So we are automatically in the playoffs. We played today against a good team with two players who consistently shoot mid-low 70s. Bad idea today by putting our two worst players of our team against them (Me and another guy)

The first hole (10) I missed a 4 foot birdie putt to halve the hole. On the par 3 (Hole 11) my buddy won us the hole. On the par 4 (12) we both drove it into the trees, I punched out to under another tree, and then punched out again with a 6 iron and stuck it to 4 feet. The two others missed the green, but one of them chipped in for birdie to win the hole. After that we were so deflated, I halved the next hole for us. On the island par 3, I had 128 to the pin and chose a 9. The wind was way more than I thought and I dunked 2 balls in the water. My buddy procedded to come out of nowhere with 2 shanks and we conceeded the hole. Hole 16 I drove the green and missed the eagle putt by inches, so we halved that hole. 17 I dunked another two in the water, and they won that hole, and also won 18 without a problem.

We lost 3-0 and my playing partner and I felt completely emberassed. We finished the leauge 4-1 with a total of 10 points. Because of our play today we probably got knocked out of first place because we did not earn any points.

May 26th:

Our last leauge match until playoffs. We got the standings today and as of before the match we were in First place ahead of another school by 1.5 points. So we are automatically in the playoffs. We played today against a good team with two players who consistently shoot mid-low 70s. Bad idea today by putting our two worst players of our team against them (Me and another guy)

The first hole (10) I missed a 4 foot birdie putt to halve the hole. On the par 3 (Hole 11) my buddy won us the hole. On the par 4 (12) we both drove it into the trees, I punched out to under another tree, and then punched out again with a 6 iron and stuck it to 4 feet. The two others missed the green, but one of them chipped in for birdie to win the hole. After that we were so deflated, I halved the next hole for us. On the island par 3, I had 128 to the pin and chose a 9. The wind was way more than I thought and I dunked 2 balls in the water. My buddy procedded to come out of nowhere with 2 shanks and we conceeded the hole. Hole 16 I drove the green and missed the eagle putt by inches, so we halved that hole. 17 I dunked another two in the water, and they won that hole, and also won 18 without a problem.

We lost 3-0 and my playing partner and I felt completely emberassed. We finished the leauge 4-1 with a total of 10 points. Because of our play today we probably got knocked out of first place because we did not earn any points.

Ooph!

I'm sure you'll get it back together for next time.

And why did they pick the "two worst players" to go against them? And are you sure you're one of the two worst, or are you just underplaying your skill? :D

Ooph!

I'm sure you'll get it back together for next time.

And why did they pick the "two worst players" to go against them? And are you sure you're one of the two worst, or are you just underplaying your skill? :D

All 3 of the other players are close friends of mine, One of them can shoot low 70's on a good day, one of them plays really good in rec play, but not so well in tournament play, and my other friend (who I played with today) has not posted a good tournament score yet. It just wasn't a good idea to pair both of us up to play together against a team like that, because my playing partner did not help me down the stretch at all (almost a 2 v 1 match) He is a good golfer still, just hasn't gotten those good tournament/match rounds together yet.

Forgot to add as well an update from the tournament I played last friday, we actually managed to come in third place out of 13 or so teams. On a par 72 the winning school had 3 scores of:

68 (-4)
70 (-2)
72 (E) = 210 for a total of -6

June 3rd:

Golf Leauge Playoffs were today. We sent in our two better players to play the two matches: The first match was against the team we lost 3-0 to to see if we would get into the finals.

I could not play today because of work, but this is what I hear:

The first hole is a par 5, my team knocked in a 3 footer for bird and the other team drained a 15 footer to halve the hole. The next hole a par 3, my team drained a 12 footer for bird to win the hole.

After that apparently they got rained out, and the leauge decided to award the championship to the team who went into the playoffs with the most points and who was in first place. Our school was 1st place going into the playoffs, so we won the championship.

A pretty dirty way to win, but a win is a win.

congrats!

Congrats Dent, its still a win though :)

Elmhurst Vs. Niakwa Interclub Match

I represented my home club in an interclub match against another CC. We played at their course (Niakwa). It was a Ryder-cup like format. 12 guys per team:

First Six Holes are Partner Alternate Shot
Second Six are 2 Man Scramble
Last Six is Man Vs. Man matchplay

I played with a little guy today only about twelve years old, as my partner so I had to do alot of work. The First six holes they went 1 UP and then we got it to AS, they went 1 UP again and on the last hole I got us back to AS. We earned .5 points for Halving the first 6

The second 6 was scramble, his short game was actually so great and we used a couple of his putts today, right away we went 2 down and I battled us back on a par 5 to get us to 1 DN, on the final hole a Par 3 160 yards, he hits his driver about pin high but in the rough, I hit mine just over the green so we take his ball. Our opponents are 12 feet GIR. They 3 putted the hole and we chipped on and made par to get the second set of 6 to AS.

The last 6 was matchplay and I think I was against about a 7 or 8 HDCP because he did get one stroke on a hole that I didn't get one.

Hole 13: I made an easy 2 putt par to go 1 UP
Hole 14: Par 3 we tied with pars

To be honest I can't remember the rest, but at one Point I was 2 UP and somehow I had to give him a stroke on a Par 5, so even though we tied with Pars he had a NET birdie so he got it back to 1 DN, hole 17 I birdied to put the match away. Hole 18 i missed a 4 footer for birdie.

For my match and the last 6 holes I shot -1.

My playing partner also won his match in 4 holes, he got a NET ACE on a par 3, and a NET EAGLE on a par 5. We earned our team 2.5 points

My two other buddies won their matches and we took home the cup 13 points to 9.

dude, that sounds like an awesome competition and a great format. good stuff dent!

Thanks TC, it was just so great to see my partner at 12 years old just absolutely whoop a 16 year old.

Congrats Dent. You're having a pretty good season going, plus you also mentioned shooting a 77 the other day.

i agree with smalls, seems as though something's clicking right now. have you been putting some time in at the range?

Great job Dent!! Very impressive :)

Questions: What does net eagle and net birdie mean? :confused2:

Great job Dent!! Very impressive :)

Questions: What does net eagle and net birdie mean? :confused2:

Because the holes are rated one of the hardest on the course he is given strokes to subtract from his score to balance out the match. Because he was say a 20 handicap and his partner was a 15 or so, he would be awarded an extra stroke to balance out the match. so for example if the 15 handicapper was not given any strokes and the 20 handicapper was given 1 stroke on the hole and they both got birdies on a par 4, the 20 handicap would have a NET 2, and because the 15 handicap didnt get any strokes he would still get a NET 3. This gives the 20 handicap a chance.

June 26th

I played a qualifyer today and did not do very well, it was at a course I play all the time and can easily shoot mid to low 70's on. I didn't have my game today and finished with a 84. Had 3 doubles (see WDYST thread). I started off pretty good saving par with a chip in on one hole and playing at 2 over until the 17th hole (started back 9). I'm not sure what place I am in yet but will update this post as well the tournament continues tomorrow for DAY 2 so we will see how I do.

EDIT: Thinking about it the conditions were pretty tough and some guys must have lost it on the home stretch. I'm currently sitting 8th right now. I'm surprised im up that high with a bad score like that.

Last edited:
June 27th.

After a two and a half hour rain delay they finally decided we were going to play 9 holes.

The first hole OB was so tight I lost two balls and took a 9. Fast forward to 18.....

I hit my driver down the middle on a par 5 dogleg left, my second layup didnt draw and i went over the trees onto another hole. I hit my approach right into water. I dropped before the water and immediatly got the shanks with my wedge. I proceeded to put 6 balls in the water. My buddy knew I wasn't going to get it over that water and discussed with our playing partner. Although I should have been disqualified they gave me a 10 on the hole.

I shot a ****ing 51. Although it should have been a DQ because I didn't finish the hole.

Back