Who's using a steel shafted hybrid and how's it working out?

cmoors

Resident Swinger
Reaction score
Handicap
My pro suggested trying a steel shaft in my hybrid. I love hitting 4 irons (my set didn't make a 3), but I don't feel as comfortable with hybrids.

Did you switch, why, and how did it work out for you?

I've got this hyrbid 4 22* and it goes exactly the same distance as my 3 iron. Only thing is I can't control the ball (fade/draw/low /high) It only does one thing, hit the ball super high and soft. And that really isn't a bad thing. As for the steel shaft, I can see how the lighter graphite would have you swinging faster/harder/and more out of control.

When I got fitted by Taylormade they suggested I have a steel shaft in my 22* hybrid to match my irons. It does give me a much higher ball flight so the ball doesn't roll out as much as I would with my 4 iron. I recently switched back to my 4 iron since I wanted more options especially from the rough since the hybrid is harder to hit out of the rough...at least for me.

I play steel in my hybrids typically (haven't changed my current 21* out yet and the 24* is the new Half/Half I'm giving a whirl lol) but I do so because it really helps me to remember to hit them like and iron and I get WAY better accuracy with them and to me the feel is improved.

Awesome, alright I think I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the replies.

Back