#TheHandCraftedExperience Travel / Extra Rounds and Activities Thread

I had been texting my fitter asking if I should upgrade to a BB 815 or 815 DBD, and he said he really didn't like the 815 heads. He said the XR heads are much better. I was planning to upgrade my 2014 BB Alpha to one of the newer BB heads, but now I'm not so sure. I may be making a trip up to see him in July and get properly fit for a new driver, so who knows what head I may actually end up with. I really like my 815 hybrid and I'm sure it's just a preference thing, but I'm back to square one on a driver search.

I really want to find a driver that gives me the happies the way my 3 wood and hybrid do right now before coming to SD.

I wasn't wildly impressed with the 815 either (personally, of course), but the XR I was bombing almost immediately when I picked it up in the shop. It's very light and very forgiving. I suspect you'll need a fairly stout shaft to take advantage of it, but hey, that's what this event is for!! :D

I feel like crap today, but I'm probably gonna go hit the Vapor Pro anyways to make sure I still like it so I can tell JB/GG real soon if I'm using it for the event.

I had been texting my fitter asking if I should upgrade to a BB 815 or 815 DBD, and he said he really didn't like the 815 heads. He said the XR heads are much better. I was planning to upgrade my 2014 BB Alpha to one of the newer BB heads, but now I'm not so sure. I may be making a trip up to see him in July and get properly fit for a new driver, so who knows what head I may actually end up with. I really like my 815 hybrid and I'm sure it's just a preference thing, but I'm back to square one on a driver search.

I really want to find a driver that gives me the happies the way my 3 wood and hybrid do right now before coming to SD.

Fwiw I don't think your fitters opinion of what works for him should effect you. Many here, including Jman, have reviewed both and found the 815 to be the better fit for them so I wouldn't base it on one person. Go hit them both

Fwiw I don't think your fitters opinion of what works for him should effect you. Many here, including Jman, have reviewed both and found the 815 to be the better fit for them so I wouldn't base it on one person. Go hit them both

Agreed. Golf is very fundamentally mental and when you hear something negative from someone you respect, it makes you not trust your clubs as much, at least for me anyway. In the physical world it doesn't matter. Make a good swing and watch the ball go a long way. Anything sold by the major brands is going to be just fine. I'm the crazy/mental Indian that thinks too much in the "It's the indian not the arrow" phrase.

I have a Handcrafted 6.0 in my X2hot Pro that I have tested in both 815 and XR heads. For my SS, tempo and AoA, the Xr head has been better than the 815 by a good margin but the same was true when I tried 2014 Alpha vs X2hot head. Personally I think the Handcrafted has more to do with me liking the driver. Since installing it in my X2hot Pro, my shots off the tee have improve vastly.

I have a Handcrafted 6.0 in my X2hot Pro that I have tested in both 815 and XR heads. For my SS, tempo and AoA, the Xr head has been better than the 815 by a good margin but the same was true when I tried 2014 Alpha vs X2hot head. Personally I think the Handcrafted has more to do with me liking the driver. Since installing it in my X2hot Pro, my shots off the tee have improve vastly.

I get good numbers with my BB Alpha and Aldila Tour Green. The big difference is my smash factor. I'm always at or over 1.45 on my 3 wood. I just grip, rip, and watch it fly. Not so much on my driver. I know it's the longer length, but I just can't go at it the way I do with my 3 wood. I know there is a magic combo out there. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get that out of the handcrafted shaft. I just want to have the best head for me before I go.

I've been asking in a different thread for the best golf store around Nashville. My wife and I are going next weekend for a little anniversary trip. I'm going to the SeeMore headquarters to get fit for my first SeeMore and tour their HQ. Two people have said a particular Golfsmith is actually really good, so I may do some driving fitting there while I'm on the trip.

Hey all, looking forward to meeting you in a few months. Just a note on hotels, that I may have mentioned before. The area near our factory is not the most exciting or scenic part of San Diego. There are several craft breweries here on the Mesa (Ballast Point, Green Flash, Rough Draft, Hess, St Archer to name a few) but not much else. If you guys want to have Friday night be a fun night out you might consider staying nearer to downtown or one of the beaches. That makes the commute to my office a little tougher. You could stay near the factory on the first two nights and then switch to downtown or somewhere else on Friday. If you are playing Torrey on Saturday, staying in Del Mar or Solana beach could be fun as well.

DB

Hey all, looking forward to meeting you in a few months. Just a note on hotels, that I may have mentioned before. The area near our factory is not the most exciting or scenic part of San Diego. There are several craft breweries here on the Mesa (Ballast Point, Green Flash, Rough Draft, Hess, St Archer to name a few) but not much else. If you guys want to have Friday night be a fun night out you might consider staying nearer to downtown or one of the beaches. That makes the commute to my office a little tougher. You could stay near the factory on the first two nights and then switch to downtown or somewhere else on Friday. If you are playing Torrey on Saturday, staying in Del Mar or Solana beach could be fun as well.

DB
Can I just sleep IN the factory? :alien:

DB

DB, you can't imagine how excited I am about this trip. Could you confirm the address of your factory for us? We all assume it's 'True Temper Grafalloy, 9401 Waples St. #140, San Diego, CA 92121', but we wanted to make sure before booking anything. We are all planning on playing Torrey North and South on Saturday :)

DB, you can't imagine how excited I am about this trip. Could you confirm the address of your factory for us? We all assume it's 'True Temper Grafalloy, 9401 Waples St. #140, San Diego, CA 92121', but we wanted to make sure before booking anything. We are all planning on playing Torrey North and South on Saturday :)
Not all! Daddy duty calls this one.

DB

Thanks for the info DB! I think someone had floated the thought of staying somewhere towards Mission Bay/Mission Beach? Would that make sense? Not too far from Torrey or you guys in Miramar.

Trying to think about cost too, though we will be splitting rooms 2 and 3 ways to mitigate the cost somewhat.

Not all! Daddy duty calls this one.

True true. Bad collective pronoun choice. "Most" would have been a better choice.

Can I just sleep IN the factory? :alien:

Unfortunately the Handcrafting Gnomes only work at night and the don't like to be watched.

That is the correct address.

ok first foursome has been booked for Sat. Aug 22nd on TP North. 7:30am. I am confirming with another buddy that he will book the second group which would be a threesome. If you would like to be in the first group with me, please send me a PM. Also the booking fee was $30 per person so I will need to receive that from you as well to confirm your spot since fee is non refundable. If you have any questions, please send me a PM and I will respond ASAP.

ok first foursome has been booked for Sat. Aug 22nd on TP North. 7:30am. I am confirming with another buddy that he will book the second group which would be a threesome. If you would like to be in the first group with me, please send me a PM. Also the booking fee was $30 per person so I will need to receive that from you as well to confirm your spot since fee is non refundable. If you have any questions, please send me a PM and I will respond ASAP.

Killer. Thank you many times over, Ale.

I'll get you on PM for your Paypal and such.

Also, pleasant surprise that it was $30 and not $40-some!

Thanks for the info DB! I think someone had floated the thought of staying somewhere towards Mission Bay/Mission Beach? Would that make sense? Not too far from Torrey or you guys in Miramar.

Trying to think about cost too, though we will be splitting rooms 2 and 3 ways to mitigate the cost somewhat.

The Mission Bay/Beach and Pacific Beach areas are cool, but will be pretty pricey in August and tend to be a little more of a younger crowd (Let's do shots of Fireball and make out at the bar scene). Solana Beach and Del Mar are also pretty close to Torrey and the office and their night life is a bit more on the mature but still fun side (let's have a whiskey on the rocks but be home before midnight because I want to be at Home Depot when they open tomorrow scene).

I just looked at Hotels.com and there are some really good deals in downtown on Friday night, Manchester Grand Hyatt, Hilton Bayfront, Hotel Indigo all below $200 a night. Those hotels all can easily go for $400 some nights. On a Saturday the drive to Torrey won't be too long, maybe 20-30 minutes.

Yep I sent my PM too. Gonna be a blast. Can't wait for the PM round and Wednesday twilight rounds to be all confirmed at the South and my excitement glands will go through the roof. I just hate it's still 2 1/2 months away.

The Manchester Grand Hyatt is where GG and I stay quite a bit when visiting Don if we are in San Diego for a few days. Its a fantastic hotel.

Many thanks Ale! PM sent.

So alez, chump, Barry, and I for 7:30 right? Editing first post to reflect.

So alez, chump, Barry, and I for 7:30 right? Editing first post to reflect.

Looks that way. With Stan, Ale's buddy, and possibly Spivey for the 2nd group.

ok so first tee time spots have been booked by: (In order received)
Skibumgolfer
Chumphries
Cpljohnst

For second tee time, please PM so I speak with my buddy about how many spots will be needed.

I know that this stuff has nothing to do with the THP Event and frankly cannot control who does what, but I would hope that the people playing are at least THP members, if not Albatross Club Members, since this event and the people getting together in this area, are because of the work that goes in to the actual event.

I wont bring it up again, but had to say it once.

If anyone is not a member, after seeing the killer shafts we end up, they wont be able to resist. Its pretty easy to spread the word on this awesome golf oasis.

I know that this stuff has nothing to do with the THP Event and frankly cannot control who does what, but I would hope that the people playing are at least THP members, if not Albatross Club Members, since this event and the people getting together in this area, are because of the work that goes in to the actual event.

I wont bring it up again, but had to say it once.

Believe me, everyone that tees it up on Saturday is already a THP member. (not sure if the post was directed to saturday play or not but wanted to make sure you know it will be all THP playing Torrey Pines.)

Back