Paddy - Hall of Famer?

Out of curiosity, what number of majors makes you auto? Is it 3? 2? 4? I have always wondered this. In many sports they have numbers that are or were technically the standard.

Personally I'd say 3 wouldn't you? While you can say 2 majors proves your no fluke you can always point to John Daly and the case is closed. 3 majors and you're a proven winner in my opinion.

Out of curiosity, what number of majors makes you auto? Is it 3? 2? 4? I have always wondered this. In many sports they have numbers that are or were technically the standard.

The minimum qualifications are listed here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Golf_Hall_of_Fame

PGA Tour
Minimum of 40 years old
PGA Tour member for 10 years
10 PGA Tour wins or two wins in the majors or Players Championship

Personally I'd say 3 wouldn't you? While you can say 2 majors proves your no fluke you can always point to John Daly and the case is closed. 3 majors and you're a proven winner in my opinion.

Normally I would say 100% yes, I agree. But for some reason to me, I want to see longevity out of a player. Again, its the Hall of Fame, not the hall of good players or in this case very good. Paddy had an incredible 2 years span in the majors. But again, has done little since to showcase that incredible talent. I am starting to lean with 4 rather than 3. But just an opinion and what makes this such a hard question for me.

So do you think the bar is set at 25 wins and 3 majors no matter what the fields are? Im not saying the Euro Tour is less quality. Not at all actually. But I do think his majors and when they were and lack of any wins since then play a role that make it a tougher debate.

I don't think the voting members would count it against Paddy for getting 2 majors that didn't include a certain player. Lefty was in both fields, FWIW.

Harrington's 2 majors are one more than several WGHOF members. But, I don't think 25 professional wins is enough. However, he has more majors AND more professional victories than Tom Kite. So, maybe he should be in.

Paddy Wiki

WGHOF

In the end, I would vote 'No'. But, I'd kick a few players out, first, who has lesser credentials.

Certainly 3. Maybe 2. Both are rare accomplisments.

My rules, not official rules. I don't know what the official requirements are.

This one always surprises me: How can this woman not be in: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Davies. Not intended as a threadjack but that is a shocker to me!

I don't think the voting members would count it against Paddy for getting 2 majors that didn't include a certain player. Lefty was in both fields, FWIW.

Harrington's 2 majors are one more than several WGHOF members. But, I don't think 25 professional wins is enough. However, he has more majors AND more professional victories than Tom Kite. So, maybe he should be in.

Paddy Wiki

WGHOF

In the end, I would vote 'No'. But, I'd kick a few players out, first, who has lesser credentials.

Certainly 3. Maybe 2. Both are rare accomplisments.

My rules, not official rules. I don't know what the official requirements are.

This one always surprises me: How can this woman not be in: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Davies. Not intended as a threadjack but that is a shocker to me!

Static,
I agree with you 100%

V3.0,
You really think 2 should be the number? I cannot possibly think that Daly is a HOF and he has 2.

I am going to have to say YES! I know he does not have many tour wins and 3 majors but I dont think the hall of fame is just about stats and wins. There are others in the hall of fame that have never even played in a PGA tournament. To date, I would have to say he is the most famous golfer from Ireland. He has put Ireland on the map for golf.

I was starting to get swayed in my decision until JB mentioned JD having 2 majors and his credentials.

I am going to have to say YES! I know he does not have many tour wins and 3 majors but I dont think the hall of fame is just about stats and wins. There are others in the hall of fame that have never even played in a PGA tournament. To date, I would have to say he is the most famous golfer from Ireland. He has put Ireland on the map for golf.

But the question is would he make it based on his play.

I was starting to get swayed in my decision until JB mentioned JD having 2 majors and his credentials.

hahahaha, yeah but he will make it just based on his loudmouth apparel

You really think 2 should be the number? I cannot possibly think that Daly is a HOF and he has 2.
2 is perhaps not enough, but it is an extremely rare accomplishment. So 2 is worth serious consideration, but it must be accompanied by other achievements, such as having your own Golf Channel show! j/k

If your gonna use majors only as an automatic I would say it needs to be 4 being as there are 4 majors. Not saying you need to win each major, just the number. As for Paddy being in the hall right now I'd have to say no. Maybe it's because of the timing on his majors that makes me feel that way, not sure.

Putting Ireland on the map?!?! Would that fall under the Chi Chi :starwars: :eyepoke: (closest sword fighting smilies) waiver?

2 (Champions Tour) Majors
8 PGA Tour Victories
22 Champions Tour Victories

Talk about proof that it's not all about stats and wins.

I vote yes. 3 Majors, 2 other PGA wins. 14 wins on the European Tour(t-15th all time).

I look at when he won his Majors....Yes Tiger was out for the 2008 British and PGA, but the leader boards still had some good names up top.

2007 Here are some of players that finished within 5 stroke(5 strokes off was t-12)
Garica, Els, Cink, Mahan, Choi, Curtis, Stricker, Weir, Woods, Furyk, Jimenez, and Rose - pretty decent leaderboard

2008 British - Won by 4 but here are some of the top 7. No Tiger
Poulter, Norman, Stenson, Furyk, Curtis, Els, Stricker, Kim

2008 PGA - Won by two - No Tiger
Garcia, Curtis, Mickelson, Stenson, Rose were in the top 10.
Paddy shot 66-66 that weekend(-8 for Sat/Sun) to win that Major.

3 majors is a great accomplishment no matter who wasnt playing. everyone had their chances during the same time frame and he got 3. 15 total professional wins are also quite the accomplishment and I believe its the World Golf Hall of Fame right? I vote YES

There is no doubt that he is.

he has finished 2nd something like 25 times.. thats gotta be a record in itself.
Can i add in that he did win another European tour event, but forgot to sign his card so was disqualified as the winner.. so, you could say 26 wins on principle.

His majors it was said came at a time when tiger out... well Tiger on average won 3 out of 4 majors per year, so i guess there is room for Padraig's wins with or without Tiger.
(Wiki fact): Harrington is the only player in the world to have been partnered with Tiger Woods in a tournament five or more times and to outscore him. Harrington has a 68.83 average in six rounds, compared with Woods' average score of 69.50. The rest of the world's top players averaged over 70.

His Major records speak for themselves:
Masters Tournament T5: 2002, 2008
U.S. Open 5th/T5: 2000, 2006
The Open Championship Won: 2007, 2008
PGA Championship Won: 2008

3 time Walker cup winner.
3 time Ryder cup winner.
1 time Golf World cup winner.
3 time Seve trophy winner.

PGA player of the year 2008.
European Order of merit winner 2006
2 time European player of the year.

Hall of Fame credentials dont start and end with the PGA tour ;)

apologies, didnt have time yet to read passed the first page here.. will do tho. :)

Thas very true.

Little known fact: If you want to look up the best Irish golfer ever then look no further than Jimmy Breun.. His career was cut short by a broken wrist.. but noted by Henry Cotton at the time as the best player in the world, amateur or professional.
In fact i was trying to buy the book on him just last week.

he has finished 2nd something like 25 times.. thats gotta be a record in itself,

I can agree with most of what you said, but Nicklaus finished second in majors alone, 19 times. Overall he finished second 58 times, and third another 36.

But I think he has done enough in his career to gain entry into the Hall.

I can agree with most of what you said, but Nicklaus finished second in majors alone, 19 times. Overall he finished second 58 times, and third another 36.

Nicklaus has the #1 record of all time, so its a comparison neither Paddy nor Tiger can live up to. It can be said that the depth of talent on the golf tour(s) was much smaller in Jacks day, so there were much more opportunities to finish 2nd if you were a top player. Most certainly he had a lot of stiff opposition such as Watson, Trevino and so on, but its obvious the depth of strength was a lot less.

The reason i mentioned his 25 or so 2nd places, is that not many (if any) golfers can boast such a consistant level of playing performances and accolades.

It can be said that the depth of talent on the golf tour(s) was much smaller in Jacks day, so there were much more opportunities to finish 2nd if you were a top player.

Some could argue that the depth of talent on all tours now is not created equally. And perhaps many of his wins showcases that. Im not necessarily one of those people, but it can be said perhaps.

I actually compare a lot of the Euro Tour today to that of golf previously. The top is very heavy weighted while the depth is just not quite teh same as that of the PGA.

another thing that must not be understated is his raising of the bar for European golf, before him there was Monty who consistently won the European tour order of merit.. but he couldn't win a major..
Padraig took the reigns of the best European tour player after Monty, and set a fine example.
Padraig opened the doors so to speak, He showed the European tour what can be done. Graeme has already spoken of this in reference to his US Open win.

I wouldnt say there are so many players with the sheer will power that Padraig has. Tiger has it, Phil probably has it..

Padraig has said that he wants to win majors, and he will sacrifice tour events for these wins. He wants to improve his swing to the level he has set out for himself, again putting tour wins in the firing line.

So the question is, how many tour wins does he need ? ;D

Some could argue that the depth of talent on all tours now is not created equally. And perhaps many of his wins showcases that. Im not necessarily one of those people, but it can be said perhaps.

I actually compare a lot of the Euro Tour today to that of golf previously. The top is very heavy weighted while the depth is just not quite teh same as that of the PGA.

The PGA tour is the top tour for quality, of that there is no doubt.
but the european tour is still strong, especially the larger events where Ernie, Geoff, Ratief, Angel, Camillo.... etc.... and all the European Tour players return to compete.

Back