Planning The Perfect Event - Your Thoughts

If there were an extra day to become more familiar with new gear it could be fun to incorporate some big bre@k like challenges. They could even be hosted and scored on the sims at the ECPC. Let the results count (one team goes into the official matches up 1-0, 2-0, whatever) and of course keep us updated as the challenges play out.

The combination of THP and Callaway Golf planning events is pretty spectacular. I have never been lucky enough to be chosen for The Grandaddy, so that would be my first suggestion...along with everyone else. I love the idea of some involvement of a tour player or even Arnold Palmer or Gary Player...absolute legends of golf and life. Custom wedge work by Anthony Taranto (picturing a sweet Mack Daddy PM Grind with THP inspired work) would be amazing, he is a major talent. Maybe there is a way to involve some THPers who are not selected to participate in the Grandaddy and offer up some Callaway swag.

Really, the bar has been set so high, that it seems greedy to suggest ways to sweeten the event. Everyone who has come away from this or witnessed it from afar are left with their mouths hanging open in awe. Overall, I would just say to keep up the amazing work on this and other events.

I'd say the updates Mike Dean and DevRickus were doing were as live as we could get. Hole finish, score updated.

Periscoping, while awesome, is a third party thing. You can't play it through the forum it's through their site or app. Defeats some of the purpose of keeping things interactive and inclusive in the event

Yeah, I'm thinking something to make it easier for whoever's updating scores, and maybe something that throws a banner on top of the thread or page or something. But you do have a point - seeing the scores update in the thread was a lot of fun. Part of me just thinks building the scoreboard would be fun. But in terms of quality and speed of updates, the folks out there killed it last year.

I guess a YouTube live stream could work - it could be embedded in the forum, just like the burger challenge...

Pretty simple: if possible, make the event have more spots for THPers. Wish it could be 12 vs. 12 like the Ryder Cup.

Personal touches. Throw as many as possible in the all expenses paid the clubs etc are amazing but the first thing that others talk about and what I think about is the personal extra little things done. Mr. Cleveland as an example the course going the extra mile to make thpers feel like members. The fitters making them feel like rockstars.

I am also all about a live feed/ periscope. I can see both sides on this but my viewpoint is this amazing experience should be shared with the world not just this site. Before and after the event this holds true in my mind. Have a live feed/Periscope that touches more than just the current member base and share with the world the amazing experience hopefully this brings in even more amazing members and the event/forum get bigger/better than ever (if that is even possible)

some really good thoughts in here and the personal wedges from Anthony would be sweet if it could be pulled off. The live updates last year were awesome and the interaction from the forum during the event was amazing, so I wouldn't recommend any changes to that part during the rounds, I do like the thought of some sort of updates on the fittings as they are being done.

so hard to top an awesome event and I am sure Zoocrew will outdo themselves again this year.

The idea of Anthony Taranto doing custom wedges is the best, and probably least feasible suggestion I have seen in this thread.

The idea of Anthony Taranto doing custom wedges is the best, and probably least feasible suggestion I have seen in this thread.
You never know, Callaway has always done things that seemed imposisble, they'll surprise us all for sure again this year I guarantee it!

Thanks? Hahaha

I just thought of something that I think would be cool and not sure but I don't think it takes that long?

Maybe a putter fitting? I'm pretty sure I saw a SAM there....with putting being a huge part of the game...and just so happens to be my worst part, I think that would be pretty cool. I know odyssey makes different putters for reasons other than just looks, getting one that fits not only your eye but your stroke would be awesome.

I have read a lot of posts suggesting a Pro presence of some sort, what I would love to hear about in person is some mental strategy from maybe a pro caddy , obviously doesn't have to be Bones but I think it would be cool to know the things they focus on with players on the course and how we could apply said knowledge for the rest of our golf careers as our own personal caddies.

Obviously any differentiation from what had been done is guaranteed to be unreal, seeing as anyone who you get to see talk about this event in person just gushes over how absolutely, undeniably, incredible it is.

Thanks for keeping the dream alive Callaway and THP! #Grandaddyofemall

Like jdtox mentioned maybe add putter fitting and also ball fitting.

Also, more of that candied bacon from #TheKing.

I have not attended a THP event. Events weren't on my radar when I joined the forum, but as I participate they have become very appealing. So realizing I am doing this from ignorance, here's my noob ideas:

1. Diverse participation. I don't know what the male - female ratio is at this kind of event but would guess it is mostly male. I mentioned this event to my wife, and she said: "golf needs more women." BTW, she is a beginner golfer who is playing today at Black Bull Golf Course with a group of ladies. Black Bull is a fairly new Weiskopf designed courses in Montana. I'm envious, never played there. She also has experience running programs to get women into sports, like mountain biking. She does everything with passion, and I trust her instincts and feedback.

2. Connect receiving something to doing something positive for the golf community. I think people who participate in great events like this can extend the impact of the experience by targeting positive golf outcomes that happen after the event. I expect that happens implicitly as people share experiences through the forum (multimedia please!), and maybe as a group people can target shared or even individual goals that target their home communities as well.

3. I am personally very interested in golf club/ball design and fitting and how those connect in meaningful ways to on-course play. An industry tour would be amazing and maybe not just a standard fitting but teaching people the process of fitting while fitting. And fitting with a fitter with engagement by an engineer/designer would be a powerful combo: what and why. This is probably standard stuff for many here, but it would be state-of-the-art super cool stuff to people like me and pretty much everyone I play golf with right now.

4. As much on-course engagement with industry experts, pros, etc. would be tremendous.

5. Try a new competition. How about a modified battle golf? The general idea is that teams of two compete and hole winners get to take clubs from the losing team. Now mix in some kind of new gear aspect, where teams start playing with a limited set of clubs and then maybe winners get to pick from a goodie bag of new gear to play with? There are many ways to modify this, and it could be both fun and a learning experience.

6. Put go-pro head cams (or similar) on everyone participating. I'm biased. I love videos.

I have not attended a THP event. Events weren't on my radar when I joined the forum, but as I participate they have become very appealing. So realizing I am doing this from ignorance, here's my noob ideas:

1. Diverse participation. I don't know what the male - female ratio is at this kind of event but would guess it is mostly male. I mentioned this event to my wife, and she said: "golf needs more women." BTW, she is a beginner golfer who is playing today at Black Bull Golf Course with a group of ladies. Black Bull is a fairly new Weiskopf designed courses in Montana. I'm envious, never played there. She also has experience running programs to get women into sports, like mountain biking. She does everything with passion, and I trust her instincts and feedback.

2. Connect receiving something to doing something positive for the golf community. I think people who participate in great events like this can extend the impact of the experience by targeting positive golf outcomes that happen after the event. I expect that happens implicitly as people share experiences through the forum (multimedia please!), and maybe as a group people can target shared or even individual goals that target their home communities as well.

3. I am personally very interested in golf club/ball design and fitting and how those connect in meaningful ways to on-course play. An industry tour would be amazing and maybe not just a standard fitting but teaching people the process of fitting while fitting. And fitting with a fitter with engagement by an engineer/designer would be a powerful combo: what and why. This is probably standard stuff for many here, but it would be state-of-the-art super cool stuff to people like me and pretty much everyone I play golf with right now.

4. As much on-course engagement with industry experts, pros, etc. would be tremendous.

5. Try a new competition. How about a modified battle golf? The general idea is that teams of two compete and hole winners get to take clubs from the losing team. Now mix in some kind of new gear aspect, where teams start playing with a limited set of clubs and then maybe winners get to pick from a goodie bag of new gear to play with? There are many ways to modify this, and it could be both fun and a learning experience.

6. Put go-pro head cams (or similar) on everyone participating. I'm biased. I love videos.

All of our events are open to men and women. Diversity can only come from participation, but heck, THP even has the Love Is In The Air event that is for couples. The rest of the stuff you listed is definately there at THP Events, especially those like the Grandaddy. Full access to R&D to ask anything you want. This goes for many THP Events and Callaway (in this instance since this is about the Grandaddy) opens the door completely.

Hoping to meet you at one sometime soon.

personally, I would love to see some of the stuff on fitting...kind of a "during" the event, how they are doing the fittings, so we can learn...not all clubs, fitters, and people are equal, and it will help us the golfers know how to tell the difference...

I think there would also be value in seeing kind of a combined perspective of some of the events....Meaning...I LOVED the sending swings in early that was done with Annika, and then the analysis prior to the event...That kind of input, "see what the pro fitters or players think" perspective is amazing, and helpful to ALL of us...and is archivable so we can keep the learning curve up...

Outside those things, being able to be a part of it would be the most amazing thing!!!!

Missed this yesterday while traveling, and now that I've read everyone's responses, it's tough to come up with unique ideas. I haven't participated in a #Grandaddy (yet), so can't really comment on improving it from an experience standpoint. But, I've followed each one live, every second, and can agree with those suggesting any improvements in live coverage would be awesome. Coverage of the actual play had been very good, considering how difficult it is with limited resources. But, we're very greedy for information while following on-line. I would love to see some video of the off course activities, i.e. tape one of the fittings, perhaps. No need to see more than one. Some snippets of video from the participants on both teams, on and off the course, would be cool, but, would require a full time resource. Just a couple of thoughts. Thanks for asking Jason and Zoo Crew. It blows me away that you guys are still trying to improve something that you've made just about perfect in our eyes already.

Maybe it shouldn't blow my mind that Callaway is asking us how to improve the Grandaddy, but it does. My jaw dropped following along the first year. Last year they throw Roger Cleveland and a letter from the King himself into the mix. I don't know how you improve on that, but I love that there is a desire to not be satisfied. In terms of the actual experience itself, I don't have any suggestions because I'm not smart or creative enough to outdo what is already in place. The ZooCrew pulls out all the stops to make it a once-in-a-lifetime experience and from we have all seen, they love every minute of it just as much as we do, which says a lot about them and what Callaway is doing as a company.

The coverage was great last year. I loved following along at the ECPC with the fittings, the short game lessons, and seeing all the pictures of the putters. As a golf nerd, I just eat that stuff up. The more videos and pictures, the better IMO.

The thing that makes it tough for me with the Grandaddy is having the event during the week and the timing of the event between two big holidays (my issue, I know), but it does make it hard for someone like me with limited time off from work to make happen. The only thing I can think of in terms of improving the experience (and this may be something that is done in some form or another) is to have a nice group photo of all the THPers and ZooCrew together taken so that it could be easily framed and hung up in your house or office.

Anyway, I'm just looking forward to seeing what the ZooCrew has up their sleeves this year.

<---- Apart from picking this guy, i really cant think of anything at this moment that needs changing.

All of our events are open to men and women. Diversity can only come from participation, but heck, THP even has the Love Is In The Air event that is for couples. The rest of the stuff you listed is definately there at THP Events, especially those like the Grandaddy. Full access to R&D to ask anything you want. This goes for many THP Events and Callaway (in this instance since this is about the Grandaddy) opens the door completely.

Hoping to meet you at one sometime soon.

These THP events sound better and better the more I learn! Thank you for the info!

These THP events sound better and better the more I learn! Thank you for the info!

Anytime. I urge you to check out the calendar, as well as some of the Live Update and Recap threads as they give some great info on what one can expect.

More Hi Crown Tour Visors.....

I've never actually played with the help of a caddy, so that would be a pretty cool touch as far as I'm concerned.

I've never actually played with the help of a caddy, so that would be a pretty cool touch as far as I'm concerned.
Each group had a caddie. While not an individual caddie they did a fantastic job finding everyone's ball, giving yardages and helping read greens if you asked.

Man i miss seeing that safe sign.

Each group had a caddie. While not an individual caddie they did a fantastic job finding everyone's ball, giving yardages and helping read greens if you asked.

Man i miss seeing that safe sign.

Something about walking a course with a caddie just sounds so appealing to me. Not many places have that anymore and let's face it. We all want that tour feeling once in our lives

Back