AT&T National- First Round (Spoilers)

Pics from today's round will be up later tonight and tomorrow morning. didn't take as many as yesterday as I walked the course a lot to get my bearings, etc. but I think you'll like what I came up with....

Those pics from yesterday were awesome. Can't wait to see today's pics. You are doing a great job. I am getting a better understanding of what all goes on at these shindigs.

wow this thread has it all! excitement, in depth coverage, drama, confusion, slip of the tongue and its only Thursday!

So am I clam. I have a much greater appreciation for what the players go through, what the caddies are responsible for, what the volunteers do, how the media report things, and overall how a tournament is produced and shown to the public. I'll never view a golf tournament the same ever again

Those pics from yesterday were awesome. Can't wait to see today's pics. You are doing a great job. I am getting a better understanding of what all goes on at these shindigs.

So am I clam. I have a much greater appreciation for what the players go through, what the caddies are responsible for, what the volunteers do, how the media report things, and overall how a tournament is produced and shown to the public. I'll never view a golf tournament the same ever again

It is far different than expected isn't it? Changes everything.

definitely. without getting too deep, with access comes responsibility. I've heard so many things on the course, media center, range, putting green, etc that I can't really repeat in print or otherwise without screwing myself in the process. It's really cool to see golf from the other side like this
It is far different than expected isn't it? Changes everything.

I've always been a fan of Davis Love. The Third. Seems like a classy guy.

Kevin

Here's a recap of how my day went today, Day 1 of the AT&T National

I walked....walked a little bit more.....walked some more...and then thought I'd go for a walk. That's it...good night!

Basically that was my day in a nutshell. I wanted to take the time and walk the course to get my bearings today to see where the best spots on the course are so hopefully the weekend won't be too bad when the crowds double in size. The course is every bit the 7,200 yards or so that it's listed playing yardage is and definitely tough but fair. The caddies I talked to on Tuesday all said the same thing, 'the greens are funky and tough.' That is a complete understatement. The pics I grabbed today couldn't really show the break on some of the greens. I watched Briny Baird, popped collar and all, land a textbook wedge shot from 125yds out within 6' of the 9th hole only to spin it almost off the green. I watched Steve Couch 3 putt on the 8th, and countless others leave putts short all day. Gives us all hope with our putters now doesn't it?

The overall mood was noticably more serious than it was yesterday's practice round. Some of the players were still friendly (Derek Lamely and Robert Allenby come to mind) but for the most part all of the players were complete business. One of the best benefits of being inside the ropes is hearing the interaction between the caddy and the player. Things like 'what's my lay up number?' and 'where's trouble on the green' and 'full shot or back it off?' were really cool to hear. And the amount of care that goes into raking a bunker is amazing. Practically an art. A few holes I was able to sit in front where the players were teeing off and the sound of the ball whizzing away at 110+mph is really something. The crack of the driver....the whizz of the ball....and the 'oohhhhh' of the crowd was pretty cool to experience.

Speaking of the crowd, it was insane today. This is the first time the Philly area has had a tour event, let alone Tiger being in it, in a long time so the gallery was more than excited. People moving everywhere, following some players, trying to find their favorite spots, etc was really something to see and feel. And when Tiger hit the course? Nuts. The first tee was at least 15 deep and blocked other players from walking to the 10th. Each hole he was on was like this and the next hole and the hole after that were as well. People were setting up shop 2-3 holes ahead of him and the gallery never appeared to thin. If Tiger makes the cut the crowd is going to be completely insane over the weekend.

At the range afterward I was listening to a conversation between Justin Leonard and Scott Verplank. Justin was asking Scott what clubs he used for certain shots on holes 15-18. Afterwards Justin proceeded to hit the same type of clubs after asking his caddy things like 'On x hole, I hit my drive 275 yards and have a decent lie, what''s my next shot?' and he went and practiced that shot over and over again. Talk about preparation. It's tuly amazing watching how all of their swings are the same for almost every club and that the only difference is what club is in their hands.

Hope this captures my second day for you. Today was kind of my practice day as well so I hope I can deliver a better review for you tomorrow.

Great observations. I was wondering how they always know what to play on that second shot.

As is becoming the norm, great stuff thanks! Look forward to Fridays report and ....pictures... haha

awesome write up thanks! really loving the behind scences perspective. keep up the great work!

Everyone- Just to clarify something here.....a big shout out goes to OEM for allowing me to use his OEM camera this week. All of these pictures would not be possible if not for his generosity or trust. I owe him when we play on Monday. No Kevin, I do not have the black shafted Ghost in my bag for you....or do I? lol

Everyone- Just to clarify something here.....a big shout out goes to OEM for allowing me to use his OEM camera this week. All of these pictures would not be possible if not for his generosity or trust. I owe him when we play on Monday. No Kevin, I do not have the black shafted Ghost in my bag for you....or do I? lol

Glad I can help out! And I will look for that black shafted Ghost lol and the pictures look great, keep'em coming!

Wow, I leave for a few hours and Tigers game goes to crap and this thread takes a wicked turn! The universe just can't hold up in my absence.

How many tournaments/rounds of boring, middle of the road, uninspired golf will Tiger have to play before they stop showing and analyzing every shot he hits?

Kevin

When someone else comes along and knocks him off the throne. Not trying to be a smarta$$ but somebody really needs to break out and make a run for it week after week like we are used to Tiger doing.

while i agree with you kevin, concerning the ridiculous amount of coverage tiger gets, the fact is, he makes for better ratings i'm sure. i think that we also tend to forget that he's more than likely going to be the best golfer of all time, plus any time he's in the field, they pretty much always cover him. i suppose i'm just conditioned to it. it could be worse man, you could be watching what i am, some show about a lady named bethany who's a real housewife of NY.......i would love to be watching coverage of tiger's average golf game right now.

while i agree with you kevin, concerning the ridiculous amount of coverage tiger gets, the fact is, he makes for better ratings i'm sure. i think that we also tend to forget that he's more than likely going to be the best golfer of all time, plus any time he's in the field, they pretty much always cover him. i suppose i'm just conditioned to it. it could be worse man, you could be watching what i am, some show about a lady named bethany who's a real housewife of NY.......i would love to be watching coverage of tiger's average golf game right now.

Atleast it has adults in it. I'm watching phineas and ferb!

Just an interesting tidbit I heard on the radio this evening; THP favorite Brian Gay only used one ball during his round today. He said he only had to hit one LW the entire round, and it barely scuffed the ball. He tried to play a new one a couple of times but his caddy wouldn't let him change up. He did say that he plans on using a fresh one tomorrow, though...

Some pros will go through 6-8 balls per round. One little mark and it's a souvenir.

Anyway, just thought that was cool.

Good stuff T. Love the insider info that you are getting.

Back