Which $300 iron set, coming back to golf after a long break

weedsnager

Reaction score
Handicap
I haven't played much golf in the past 20 years, my clubs are 25 years old. I'm looking at a few $300 iron sets, the Nike Vrs X and the Adams Golf Idea A12 Os. Any of you guys had a chance to hit both of these and give me a comparison?

I was a big fan of the VRS and the Machspeed that came before them. At the $300 price range, you can probably expand your search if you look online a bit. The Cleveland 588 MTs, one of my favorite iron sets last year, can be had for closer to $200 then $300 in some stores.

I have not tried the VRs, but I have played the a12Os for a season. I liked them, they will be pretty good if you struggle making contact and fight a slice. if you usually launch your irons straight or with a draw, I would steer away from them.

in that price range, you could also find some adams XTD, or some cobra bio cell, or event some X2hots on CPO.

I was able to demo the Adam V4.0 today, they didn't have the other two to demo.

I was still playing my ancient clubs when I found this site a few years ago, my bag has changed a few times since then.

The VRs iron are a really good choice, but then so are all the ones that have been mentioned here. I wouldn't sleep on any of them.

For $300 you could buy a new set of most any brand that is one or two product cycles old I would think. Go to a box store and swing a few and see what you like.

Callaway Razr X/Razr X Black or XHot or X2Hot. Burner 2.0's are still one of my all time fave, also can probably get RBZ's (same club tho).

Im in the same boat. I liked the Nike VRS with the uniflex shaft, and the Cleveland 588's. Both felt excellent, Nike's felt a tad better to me. What I didn't understand, and I hope someone add their $.02.... I was testing 7 irons. Both felt good. With the Nike, I was hitting the balls straight but, to the right (not slicing though). Trajectory was good, distance averaged 165 yds. With the Cleveland 7 iron, ball was very straight. Trajectory was a little flatter but was averaging 190 yds with this club. The guy helping my said the Nike was a better fit for me. My SS was between 82 and 93 MPH. With the Cleveland, I was not swinging as hard. I stayed in the mid 80's. He went on to say that the Cleveland shaft (R flex) was doing too much work. He would have recommended the Cleveland set if they had it in S flex. I'm confused, wouldn't a longer shot with a softer swing be more beneficial?

I bought the Nike set but I'm wondering if that was the best choice.

Back