46 years ago today: One Giant Leap for Mankind

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
I remember watching it with my mom on the downstairs TV as they landed on the moon. My dad, brother and sister were likely there too, but I only remember my mom. When Armstrong took his first step off later that evening, we were all watching.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/apollo11.html

July 20, 1969: One Giant Leap For Mankind

July 1969. It's a little over eight years since the flights of Gagarin and Shepard, followed quickly by President Kennedy's challenge to put a man on the moon before the decade is out. It is only seven months since NASA's made a bold decision to send Apollo 8 all the way to the moon on the first manned flight of the massive Saturn V rocket.

Now, on the morning of July 16, Apollo 11 astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins sit atop another Saturn V at Launch Complex 39A at the Kennedy Space Center. The three-stage 363-foot rocket will use its 7.5 million pounds of thrust to propel them into space and into history. At 9:32 a.m. EDT, the engines fire and Apollo 11 clears the tower. About 12 minutes later, the crew is in Earth orbit. (› Play Audio)

After one and a half orbits, Apollo 11 gets a "go" for what mission controllers call "Translunar Injection" - in other words, it's time to head for the moon. Three days later the crew is in lunar orbit. A day after that, Armstrong and Aldrin climb into the lunar module Eagle and begin the descent, while Collins orbits in the command module Columbia. Collins later writes that Eagle is "the weirdest looking contraption I have ever seen in the sky," but it will prove its worth.

When it comes time to set Eagle down in the Sea of Tranquility, Armstrong improvises, manually piloting the ship past an area littered with boulders. During the final seconds of descent, Eagle's computer is sounding alarms. It turns out to be a simple case of the computer trying to do too many things at once, but as Aldrin will later point out, "unfortunately it came up when we did not want to be trying to solve these particular problems."

When the lunar module lands at 4:18 p.m EDT, only 30 seconds of fuel remain. Armstrong radios "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed." Mission control erupts in celebration as the tension breaks, and a controller tells the crew "You got a bunch of guys about to turn blue, we're breathing again."

Armstrong will later confirm that landing was his biggest concern, saying "the unknowns were rampant," and "there were just a thousand things to worry about."

At 10:56 p.m. EDT Armstrong is ready to plant the first human foot on another world. With more than half a billion people watching on television, he climbs down the ladder and proclaims: "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

Aldrin joins him shortly, and offers a simple but powerful description of the lunar surface: "magnificent desolation." They explore the surface for two and a half hours, collecting samples and taking photographs. They leave behind an American flag, a patch honoring the fallen Apollo 1 crew, and a plaque on one of Eagle's legs. It reads, "Here men from the planet Earth first set foot upon the moon. July 1969 A.D. We came in peace for all mankind."

Armstrong and Aldrin blast off and dock with Collins in Columbia. Collins later says that "for the first time," he "really felt that we were going to carry this thing off."

The crew splashes down off Hawaii on July 24. Kennedy's challenge has been met. Men from Earth have walked on the moon and returned safely home.

In an interview years later, Armstrong praises the "hundreds of thousands" of people behind the project. "Every guy that's setting up the tests, cranking the torque wrench, and so on, is saying, man or woman, 'If anything goes wrong here, it's not going to be my fault.'"

In a post-flight press conference, Armstrong calls the flight "a beginning of a new age," while Collins talks about future journeys to Mars. Over the next three and a half years, 10 astronauts will follow in their footsteps. Gene Cernan, commander of the last Apollo mission leaves the lunar surface with these words: "We leave as we came and, God willing, as we shall return, with peace, and hope for all mankind."

It's criminal how undervalued we treat NASA in this country.

I was 6 and watched it with my mom. Shortly after we moved to TN from NY.

I was told I watched it, but sadly can not remember it. I was 4. I wish I could remember it.

I wasn't alive for the moon landing, but remember watching the shuttle launches with my mother as a young child. Those early years of space exploration are why I wear a Speedmaster watch now.

Give 'em hell!

f4f85cb9e887694c906bd40ed6763bd0.jpg

One of the coolest things the U.S. has ever done.

I remember it ... I also remember talking to my 102 year old great grandma a couple of weeks later, and asked her what she thought ... her reply was "they will never do it" ... I just agreed, and never corrected her ... if I make it to 102 nobody better correct me ether!

I watched it with family (was 10).

My dad woke me up in the middle of the night to watch some guy walk on the moon the night before my 5th birthday. All I wanted to do was go back to bed.

I was 22, I went over to my parents house to watch it with them. They had been down to Cape Canaveral a few days before to watch the launch and then to see the landing on the moon was emotional to all of us.

I was 11 years old and was with 2 friends at a carnival at the park in the village in WI where I grew up. there were probably a hundred or-so people gathered around a little black and white TV at the ping pong ball/goldfish bowl game concession in the carnival midway watching as Neil Armstrong made that first step off the LEM on to the moon's surface. I remember looking around and seeing hardly no one on rides or doing anything but watching the event at whatever TV they could get to. I'm such a geek for this stuff. I've been waiting for 9 years to see Pluto last week. Just awesome stuff.

I remember that like it was 2 or 3 weeks ago....

I was 11 years old. My dad was in the Air Force and we were stationed at Albrook AFB in the Panama Canal Zone.
Dad was at work, I sat on the floor in front of the black and white tv with my 2 brothers and my mom.
It still amazes me that my iPhone is more powerful than all the computers put together that were used to launch Armstrong's mission. (at least that's what I read somewhere...on the internet)

Not a huge conspiracy theorist, but I seriously doubt we landed on the moon.
I believe it was a political thing, the "Space Race" with Russia was at the height of the Cold War, and we needed bragging rights.
And when we THOUGHT we had it, (Apollo 13) we all remember what happened.

Not looking to start a fight, just what I personally think...

Interesting CJ.

You are an interesting dude Slice. I still like you.

I believe it was a political thing, the "Space Race" with Russia was at the height of the Cold War, and we needed bragging rights.

I was just going to come in here and post that it was all done in a movie studio......but I would have been joking! :alien:

I was 10 and was watching on the old black and white TV. Sad to say I was also walking across a boat yard in Ft. Pierce, Fl. when the Challenger launch went bad. It was a very cool morning for Florida and a perfect clear sky, such as shocking sight.

Have you really looked into the theory? It's been independently verified by a lot of sources, including the hated Russians who HATED to see it.

I had just graduated from high school and was close to leaving for Vietnam. Wow this article brings back memories!

The biggest problem I have with this is people have big mouths and would think someone would of spilled the beans by now. Also we were at the moon on Apollo 11 so 13 came later.

You ready to fight now tough guy. lolololol

I remember reading that it all took place out west in the desert someplace...............

I do however also remember sitting glued to the TV watching it all and my brother and me had models we built and everything. It was all we talked about at school for weeks.

Have you really looked into the theory? It's been independently verified by a lot of sources, including the hated Russians who HATED to see it.

I'll do some reading...

Back