Validating a Major

I don't think anyone is saying that a person winning 1 major is invalid. We all agree it's one hell of an accomplishment. You can think of it in terms of anything else in life. Getting an A on a math test in HS, if you back it up with a bunch of C's, it doesn't diminish the accomplishment of that A, but if you back it up with some B+, A-, or even another A, it could be looked at differently. I know some have mentioned music, getting a #1 hit, and then never cracking Casey's top 40 again puts you in a different class than if you back it up with more appearances near the top of the charts.

You're saying, basically, do you think winning 1 major makes a player a "one-hit wonder" in golf, and if so, who do you consider 1-hit wonders?

You're saying, basically, do you think winning 1 major makes a player a "one-hit wonder" in golf, and if so, who do you consider 1-hit wonders?

LPGA Tour check out Hillary Lunke. 1 career win, it was the Women's US Open. She is the ultimate 1 hit wonder. Shaun Micheel is on that list too. Doesn't take away the fact that they are major champions.

Will someone that is in favor of the "validation" requirement please define the term and how it is used in this case?
To me what I am hearing is that a 1 time major championship win is "invalid", without some pedigree before and after the win.
If that is the case, then I respectfully agree to disagree. My opinion (fwiw) is that any win of any golf tournament is valid. They're not out there winning a tourney by flipping a coin. They have to earn it for a week of good play against a lot of very good players and in my book, that makes it valid....even if it's a one off.

This is a great discussion and one of the reasons why I love THP !!

I think that to me it means that the player needs to do something else in his career to show that he didn't just get hot that one week in his life. Even if it's just being fairly consistent in the top 15 in tournament play over a significant period (which means he's giving himself chances and staying visible on Tour), or he wins a few more regular events spread over a decade, anything that keeps him on the radar for more than just that one glorious week.

I don't make a big deal out of it in any event - I never even thought much about it until this thread came up - but it's hard to give a lot of professional credit to a player who just happens to stumble into a lone win on the right week.

A win is a win even if it's the only win. Chris Dimarco has 3 wins on PGA tour an 1 Euro tour. He finished 2nd to tiger in 2005 Masters and 2006 Open championship and T2 in 2004 pga Championship. He didn't win any tournaments after 2002. If he wins 2005 would that have validated his career or his other tournaments? If he wins the Masters and still finishes 2nd at the open is he validated for winning a major and performing well in another.

IMO the validation is only needed when looking at a persons career and not for winning a major or a regular tournament event.

As a New Zealander I wish that Michael Campbell won more and played better golf after his US Open win. However if you look at his stats he has a number of impressive results and came close in 2 other majors. Validating enough for a guy that comes from a small remote part of the world that does not have the coaching or facilities that larger counrties have. does a major win from a small country make it more impressive or validating given how hard golf is. i think Japan has never had a major champion and look what they have given golf. Go Danny Lee!!!!

Date
TournamentWinning scoreMargin of
victory
Runner-up
119 Jun 2005U.S. OpenE (71-69-71-69=280)2 strokes Tiger Woods
[h=3]European Tour wins (8)[/h]
Legend
Major Championships (1)
Other European Tour (7)
No.DateTournamentWinning scoreMargin of
victory
Runner(s)-up
111 Nov 1999Johnnie Walker Classic−12 (66-71-69-70=276)1 stroke Geoff Ogilvy
230 Jan 2000Heineken Classic−20 (68-69-65-66=268)6 strokes Thomas Bjørn
31 Oct 2000Linde German Masters−19 (68-64-65=197)1 stroke José Cóceres
44 Feb 2001Heineken Classic−18 (69-70-67-64=270)5 strokes David Smail
57 Jul 2002Smurfit European Open−6 (68-71-70-73=282)1 stroke Bradley Dredge, Retief Goosen,
Pádraig Harrington, Paul Lawrie
627 Jul 2003Nissan Irish Open−11 (66-69-71-71=277)Playoff Thomas Bjørn, Peter Hedblom
719 Jun 2005U.S. OpenE (71-69-71-69=280)2 strokes Tiger Woods
818 Sep 2005HSBC World Match Play Championship2&1 Paul McGinley
[h=3]PGA Tour of Australasia wins (7)[/h]
[h=3]Challenge Tour wins (3)[/h]
  • 1994 (3) Memorial Olivier Barras, Bank Austria Open, Audi Quattro Trophy
[h=2]Major championships[/h] [h=3]Wins (1)[/h]
YearChampionship54 holesWinning scoreMarginRunner-up
2005U.S. Open4 shot deficitE (71-69-71-69=280)2 strokes Tiger Woods
[h=3]Results timeline[/h]
Tournament199419951996199719981999
Masters TournamentDNPDNPCUTDNPDNPDNP
U.S. OpenDNPDNPT32DNPDNPDNP
The Open ChampionshipCUTT3DQDNPT66CUT
PGA ChampionshipDNPT17CUTDNPDNPDNP
Tournament2000200120022003200420052006200720082009
Masters TournamentDNPCUTCUTCUTCUTDNPCUTCUTCUTCUT
U.S. OpenT12CUTCUTCUTCUT1CUTT58CUTCUT
The Open ChampionshipCUTT23CUTT53T20T5T35T57T51WD
PGA ChampionshipCUTCUTT23T69T49T6CUTCUTT42CUT
Tournament2010201120122013
Masters TournamentCUTDNPDNPDNP
U.S. OpenCUTCUTCUTCUT
The Open ChampionshipDNPDNPDNPDNP
PGA ChampionshipDNPDNPDNPDNP
DNP = Did not play
DQ = Disqualified
WD = Withdrew
CUT = missed the half-way cut
"T" indicates a tie for a place
Green background for wins. Yellow background for top-10
[h=3]Summary[/h]
TournamentWins2nd3rdTop-5Top-10Top-25EventsCuts made
Masters Tournament000000100
U.S. Open100112154
The Open Championship001224159
PGA Championship000013126
Totals1013495219

• Most consecutive cuts made – 5 (2004 Open Championship – 2005 PGA)
  • Longest streak of top-10s – 3 (2005 U.S. Open – 2005 PGA)
[h=2]Results in World Golf Championship events[/h]
Tournament20002001200220032004200520062007
Accenture Match Play ChampionshipR64R16R64R64R64DNPR64R64
CA Championship9NT[SUP]1[/SUP]T9T6866T46T2271
Bridgestone InvitationalT15T31T11T71DNP6817T46

the whole smart of the world thing to me doesn't cut it. Vijay Singh did alright.

the whole smart of the world thing to me doesn't cut it. Vijay Singh did alright.

True but this world debate is probably another thread topic.

In my biased opinion Campos numbers are good enough to validate before he won the US open - after not so much

To me, if you win a major, then you are the best player in the world at that time and that's all the validation you need. Anybody that has won a major has won 1 more than I ever will so they have nothing to prove or validate to me.

To me, if you win a major, then you are the best player in the world at that time and that's all the validation you need. Anybody that has won a major has won 1 more than I ever will so they have nothing to prove or validate to me.

Not quite. You are the player who played the best for 4 days that week. That doesn't make you the best in the world, that week or any other week. At the Open this week with McIlroy missing, the best player in the world wasn't even in the field.

Not quite. You are the player who played the best for 4 days that week. That doesn't make you the best in the world, that week or any other week. At the Open this week with McIlroy missing, the best player in the world wasn't even in the field.

Can't be the best in the world on one ankle. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't be the best in the world on one ankle. Sorry.

Really? The world golf rankings would say otherwise. One win, any one win, doesn't make a chump into a champ, not in golf it doesn't. That takes consistent excellence over a period of time.

Really? The world golf rankings would say otherwise. One win, any one win, doesn't make a chump into a champ, not in golf it doesn't. That takes consistent excellence over a period of time.

Yes really. Is Rors the most consistent? Sure but Jordan has made that debatable lately. I'm saying the guy that wins, in that moment, is the best in the world. Besides, we are getting off topic now.

This is what I was getting at too. I don't think the Major itself needs validated, but it doesn't automatically make you a great player.

Well... winning a major puts you in the tenth of a percent of the tenth of a percent of the world's golfers ... so they're already the cream of the crop.

They'll also be remembered for as long as golf is played professionally... so they did exactly what needed to be done. Will they be considered some of the best who ever played? Need to win a lot more IMO, as only a handful a generation get picked to be put in that discussion.

Back