John Oliver piece on Stadiums

Pretty sure he is a US citizen now, and to be honest I think it is great that he has a somewhat outsiders perspective on how screwed up things are here. Just because there are different and possibly worse problems elsewhere doesn't mean our problems magically do not exist.

No, he's a LPR. It's funny how he's had the American makeover since he landed his job on HBO. He was was pretty lame on the shows he used to do back home and looked like he was living on the streets. He's certainly landed on his feet, and upped his game since arriving here.

Love John Oliver!! That said, for the normal sports fan, cities funding stadiums is not a new concept. However, I wasn't aware that deals were that bad for the cities. I remember watching the Real Sports piece on the new Marlins Stadium and thought man, they got a really bad deal. I had no idea that there were many deals that were just as bad if not worse.

Its too early to truly know the impact of the new vikings stadium in Minneapolis. When the Metrodome was still up, downtown Minneapolis looked pretty crappy. Now because of the new stadium, there is development all over downtown, hotels, office buildings, and apartments. Most of these were dependent on the new stadium as the centerpiece. When this is all down the downtown area will be revitalized and much nicer looking. I know the NFL has some pretty crazy demands for cities that host the Superbowl but the revenue generated from that, the final four, and potential BCS playoffs/National championship game and Wrestlemania are still real. The amount of visitors for those events will be insane. Thats not even counting the potentail new MLS team that would be sharing the stadium. Also got to credit the Wilf's any additional spending since the deal was announced has come out of his pocket. I have no sympathy for the way the city of Minneapolis handled the whole ordeal but early indications are it will work out. Again no one will no for sure for a long time but it looks promising.

Just saw this piece the other day. So freaking spot on. John Oliver is the man.

Fantastic take. As a planning student and living in a city where one of the ideas is to build a large (for the region) stadium, it's fascinating hearing some of the negative, even though local politicians only publish the positives.

His video on Infrastructure is fantastic as well.

Back