Trying To Break 90 Club

Next time out, change the strategy on the par 5 - tee off with an iron, get in play. You might just need a different perspective for a bit.

Good call. I thought about grabbing the 3hyb off the tee there today. Should've done it.

All four OB shots (yesterday and today) were dead pulls - which, per my coach, tend to happen when I get tentative and hit the brakes on the way thru the shot. I slow down thru impact, stand up a bit and everything goes left as a result. Just gotta stay on the gas and hit the thing =)

Broke 90 today, really happy with my round ... an 88. So easily could have been a couple of strokes lower even.

I made it happen today! 89 FTW

Happy with the way I played on a course I really do not know well at all. I got some really great bounces that bailed me out of a lot of trouble. On the other hand only 2 really bad blow up holes and the first one hurt bad. Short par 4 took driver and had a miserable downhill lie and jacked it into a bunker then proceeded to hit a decent bunker shot but it was way too long and over the green and lost... made 8 so brutal.

Playing again tomorrow with the same goal to break 90. I got this

Happy with the way I played on a course I really do not know well at all. I got some really great bounces that bailed me out of a lot of trouble. On the other hand only 2 really bad blow up holes and the first one hurt bad. Short par 4 took driver and had a miserable downhill lie and jacked it into a bunker then proceeded to hit a decent bunker shot but it was way too long and over the green and lost... made 8 so brutal.

Way to go, Jesse! And how are you getting out for all this golf the last few days with those little guys at home? :)

Sent from my D5316 using Tapatalk

Way to go, Jesse! And how are you getting out for all this golf the last few days with those little guys at home? :)

Sent from my D5316 using Tapatalk
Haha they are in DE with the in laws. Wife is at a Bachelorette party and I got the weekend to myself and I am taking full advantage!

Last edited:

awesome Jesse, 89 with an 8 is great, keep the streak going tomorrow!

awesome Jesse, 89 with an 8 is great, keep the streak going tomorrow!
Thanks Marty. I am give it my best tomorrow but 18 holes 3 days in a row isn't something I am used to haha

Not complaining at all

Thanks Marty. I am give it my best tomorrow but 18 holes 3 days in a row isn't something I am used to haha

Not complaining at all

You can do it. When I went to family reunion for a week I did 7 rounds in 5 days and I'm old lol.

Good call. I thought about grabbing the 3hyb off the tee there today. Should've done it.

All four OB shots (yesterday and today) were dead pulls - which, per my coach, tend to happen when I get tentative and hit the brakes on the way thru the shot. I slow down thru impact, stand up a bit and everything goes left as a result. Just gotta stay on the gas and hit the thing =)

I have a few holes "in my head" and I went rogue on those holes. I hit punch 4i or 5i off the tee to ensure FW. Get about 150 carry with lots of roll. Then just play easy shots from there. On most holes we can probably bogie with only a 9 iron and putter. I try to keep triples or worse off me on holes I have historical played poorly.

Generally another takes that spot during said round. What can we do???

I have a few holes "in my head" and I went rogue on those holes. I hit punch 4i or 5i off the tee to ensure FW. Get about 150 carry with lots of roll. Then just play easy shots from there. On most holes we can probably bogie with only a 9 iron and putter. I try to keep triples or worse off me on holes I have historical played poorly.

Generally another takes that spot during said round. What can we do???

No kidding...

I'll probably hit the hybrid off the tee next time I'm on that hole. I can get 220 out of the 3hyb and have a better shot at keeping it in play.

I broke through again with a solid 86 on Saturday. I played with Jesse (TheCrest4) and the DMV crew and also had a couple blow up holes. An 8 on a par 4 and a terrible 7 on a par 5. I really wish I would have warmed up before the round because I started slow too. My putting was solid and I had some good birdie chances.

I'm not sure when I will play again but hopefully I can break 90 on the regular.

I broke through again with a solid 86 on Saturday. I played with Jesse (TheCrest4) and the DMV crew and also had a couple blow up holes. An 8 on a par 4 and a terrible 7 on a par 5. I really wish I would have warmed up before the round because I started slow too. My putting was solid and I had some good birdie chances.

I'm not sure when I will play again but hopefully I can break 90 on the regular.

You had a great round! You'll be down there regularly soon enough.

After my blow up on Saturday I followed it up with another explosion on Sunday. Couple of blow up holes cost me 10 (you read that right) strokes. Getting close. Just need to make some better decisions to keep myself out of trouble. Between that and limiting my misses off of the tee (had 2 Sunday) I should be in the 80s. Work took over my life this year and I haven't gotten the practice time that I wanted to, but I feel like I'm finally starting to pull it all back together.

You had a great round! You'll be down there regularly soon enough.

After my blow up on Saturday I followed it up with another explosion on Sunday. Couple of blow up holes cost me 10 (you read that right) strokes. Getting close. Just need to make some better decisions to keep myself out of trouble. Between that and limiting my misses off of the tee (had 2 Sunday) I should be in the 80s. Work took over my life this year and I haven't gotten the practice time that I wanted to, but I feel like I'm finally starting to pull it all back together.

I hear you for sure on the practice part. Wish I had more time to iron out my game. I enjoyed it Saturday and you can put a hurting on the golf ball especially with that nice draw you have. Also your 4 hybrid is money off the tee.

I think we both can be in the 80's for sure.

Didn't make it happen this weekend; went 49/45 for a 94 on Saturday and 52/49 for a 101 Sunday. After my 1st tee shot Sunday, I had a back spasm for the first time and didn't really know how to deal with that. I took some Aleve and kept playing, but man did that suck. I ended up with three snowmen on the front which effectively cooked my round. The back nine I was awful off the tee (6 penalties!) and took several unplayables, but hit some good approaches, bunker shots, chips and made a few putts to save bogeys. Oh well.

Shot 43/45 at one of the tougher courses in the area and the funny thing is I thought I was having a really bad back nine. Everything is clicking, I should be avg. in the 80's by the end of the season.

congrats matt...game is rounding into good shape

88...plus five lost balls. I'm getting tired of anything but a perfect swing putting the ball in the rough or OB. This is the last season with my covert 1.0 for sure, looking for something more forgiving next spring.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

After 89 Saturday and feeling pretty good played Sunday in the hopes of breaking 90 and it just didn't happen. Shot 96 was on a great pace after the first 9 right on the mark at 45 and feeling good about keeping it going. But took a 9 on a Par 4 that just killed my round and momentum. Way too many penalties on a course I know pretty well and just a lot of other small mistakes.

Oh well lots to work on and try and keep improving. Even though I feel short yesterday I feel as though I belong in this thread again and know I can be under that 90 real soon.

You have serious game man wish I had your smooth swing. Keep fine tuning things and you will be sub 90 every time out.

For now get ready for the best time of your life, I wish you and your wife all the best. These are the things that are really important and take it all in.

Had a blast playing with you man.

Managed an 89 on Saturday at one of the more difficult courses in the area. My score felt even better when I realized I had an 8 on a par 3 (lost ball, multiple bunker shots) and a 4 putt on a different par 3. Only my second sub 90 round in the last two years.

97 today, but a good 97 - 53 on the front, 44 on the back. Hard course - Knoll West in Northern NJ. Proud of my back 9.

I went for nine holes after work and had a weird day, some great driving of the ball, 5/7 fairways, and even on the two fairways I missed, I got lucky and had a decent shot at the green.

I finished with a 42, which is great, but I was surprised to see the score that low, considering I could not putt to save my life... not one of my 19 putts felt good, I just couldnt remember how to do that thing with the flat stick.

now to work on the positive, keep all that in mind, and head down stairs to try to gain a feeling again with the putter

93 today, first time playing in a week. Had some blow up holes (3 triples), but had like 5 pars and and a birdie too! Had a 50 foot birdie putt bounce off the back of the hole and out of the cup, and had a super draw around a blocking tree about feet in front of me and slightly to my left.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Shot a 45 last night and felt pretty good. Should have been a 43 but I kind of lost it on the last hole - in my defense it was about 90 degrees and 90% humidity out... Had 3 pars and at least 3 lip outs on putts. Almost birdied the next to last hole on a 15 yard chip onto the green that went into and bounced out of the cup. I really need to be more consistent with my putting.

41 in league last night. One triple, but otherwise nothing over bogie. Even had a birdie on #2. Felt nice to actually hit a rhythm on the course. Especially in league where I've been lacking here lately. Unfortunately no more golf for the next two weeks as far as I can see, but at least I'll have a good round to think about while I'm off.

Back