JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
It kicked off this week and there is a free trial. It is offering quite a bit in terms of live streaming of events and on demand content. I believe the cost is $4.99 a month.

I have my thoughts on this from a subscription service, but I do fear the PPV model for this sport is one that they should have analyzed a bit further in terms of what is being offered and the commercials still being a part of it.

What are your thoughts?

I think they will lose viewers. I would watch all the time when they had the featured holes and such before the other live coverage came on, but I'm certainly not paying for it.

I don't plan on paying for it, but I imagine some will. $4.99 isn't a bad price, but when I am not in the office I will never use it.

I think it offers something to those viewers who may not always be able to watch the coverage provided by direct media outlets. At the same time I think one can look at it like this...what are you trying to get out of the service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would need to give the trial a shot before making any judgements, but my initial reaction is to question whether / how content is so compelling that I'm willing to pay for it. Between GC, the major networks, THP, etc, how much more info do I want or need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. I will suck it up and use free streaming, or log into my Slingbox and/or FiOS account to watch it if it's that important to me.

As someone who doesn't have cable, I guess I could consider it. Just not sure there's enough golf to watch to be justified.

I need to research it a little more. Not sure is something I will jump on immediately. On the flip side, having cut cable it may be something that I will have to go with in the future.

If they start having coverage for every tournament, I think this is a good idea - I do enjoy having the golf on in the mornings on Thurs/Friday at work, and I know that Live@ wasn't always available for each tournament. If $5/month gets me every tournament, I won't mind paying.

I don't necessarily love the idea that it's just going to be featured groups. I know that limits how much staff you need to cover the event, but it has the chance for some weeks to be complete snoozers depending on how the group plays. On the flipside, I think there is something to be gained by watching a group play the entire course - you really see how up and down these rounds really are.

THe coverage we get is good enough for me. I am not invested in spending more time watching golf, especially for a fee.

If they make the Majors part of this, then I'll consider it. Don't really watch the regular tournaments during work hours.

If it's anything like their online coverage when it's non network, I won't be interested, it's just not good coverage in my opinion, but if it's similar to what's broadcast then maybe, if I ever cut the cord that is!

I guess maybe I've forgotten, but will they be doing full broadcast (not just a few holes or couple of groups)? Also, will they be broadcasting Thurs-Sun, even when golf channel or network coverage is going?

My boss told me he'd get golf channel at one of our other offices, but he hasn't done so yet. When he does, you can guess where I'll be every Thursday and Friday.

~Rock

If it's anything like their online coverage when it's non network, I won't be interested, it's just not good coverage in my opinion, but if it's similar to what's broadcast then maybe, if I ever cut the cord that is!

I've been watching Thursday/Friday, and to me the coverage has been a bit better - other than the fact that they keep talking about how great PGA Tour Live is. Sort of like Apple's Beats 1 station wouldn't stop talking about itself the first day.

I saw this yesterday and clicked on the link to see but then saw Tiger's group was the featured group and passed.

I used to watch every couple weeks when they had featured groups or featured holes. If they had it for every tournament I think it might be worth it, but only seven tournaments the remainder of the year is a little weak.

not a bad price but not sure i will pay for some golf viewing while at work. will have to look into more and see if it makes sense to pay for and use

I think it is unreasonable to expect a free streaming service considering no other major sports league provides it for free. For $5/month it's a steal of a deal. I like that they offer you two back to back featured groups in the morning when there is no other coverage so there is a lot more consistent action. And during the live broadcasts they'll have featured hole coverage which is better than nothing if you cannot get the TV simulcast for some reason.

The video quality is much better than what PGA Tour was offering before.

I think it is unreasonable to expect a free streaming service considering no other major sports league provides it for free. For $5/month it's a steal of a deal. I like that they offer you two back to back featured groups in the morning when there is no other coverage so there is a lot more consistent action. And during the live broadcasts they'll have featured hole coverage which is better than nothing if you cannot get the TV simulcast for some reason.

The video quality is much better than what PGA Tour was offering before.

Yeah, they're using the streaming service developed by MLB, who after a couple rocky years has this down to a science.

I think they will lose viewers. I would watch all the time when they had the featured holes and such before the other live coverage came on, but I'm certainly not paying for it.

How are they going to lose viewers when they are showing content that wouldn't normally be shown on TV? The main point of this is to show featured groups on Thursday and Friday mornings. During the regular afternoon TV coverage, the stream will show featured holes.

I'm still not paying for it because on Thursday and Friday mornings, I'm either at work or out on the golf course.

How are they going to lose viewers when they are showing content that wouldn't normally be shown on TV? The main point of this is to show featured groups on Thursday and Friday mornings. During the regular afternoon TV coverage, the stream will show featured holes.

I'm still not paying for it because on Thursday and Friday mornings, I'm either at work or out on the golf course.

Live@ used to be free programming that they would show streaming coverage for select tournaments. If that's all this is, but now they charge for it, they will lose viewers. I would watch Live@ all the time for select Thursday/Friday coverage, and when I went to do it for the tournament this week, I couldn't do it because now it's this PGA tour live thing that requires a subscription. That's how I believe they will lose viewers. It's not necessarily a new thing they are doing from the looks of it, maybe just some additional content, but they are just now charging for it.

Live@ used to be free programming that they would show streaming coverage for select tournaments. If that's all this is, but now they charge for it, they will lose viewers. I would watch Live@ all the time for select Thursday/Friday coverage, and when I went to do it for the tournament this week, I couldn't do it because now it's this PGA tour live thing that requires a subscription. That's how I believe they will lose viewers. It's not necessarily a new thing they are doing from the looks of it, maybe just some additional content, but they are just now charging for it.

I'm with you on this one. I really enjoy LIVE@ when it is available for tournaments, not sure I'd pay extra for it though.

If they opened the coverage up to the entire field on the course then I would consider it. I wouldn't pay anything to get early coverage of only two groups. Which is the current model if I'm understanding it correctly.

It kicked off this week and there is a free trial. It is offering quite a bit in terms of live streaming of events and on demand content. I believe the cost is $4.99 a month.

I have my thoughts on this from a subscription service, but I do fear the PPV model for this sport is one that they should have analyzed a bit further in terms of what is being offered and the commercials still being a part of it.

What are your thoughts?

Is it per month or a one time fee?

Back