Trying to Break 80 Club

You definitely have the game to shoot in the 70s... Now that you have done it you will do it more. The summer I broke 80 I shot in the 70s a handful of times right after. Good work

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Thanks dude! I've been so close so many times recently, to finally be able to write a 7 down and not following an 8 or 9 feels fantastic. No more pressure to finally break it and can just go out and shoot now

Well...finally did it! 79 today, and that was with 3 doubles. Was swinging so freely and putted pretty well. Could have been a lot lower, and I made the turn only +2 after a double on the 9th. Good part I guess about all the doubles is that they were due to lost balls, so other than the 3 bad swings, I wasn't giving up much. Knew I could get here eventually, now just got to keep at it.
Hell yeah!!! I like reading this thread when someone does it. I am still knocking on that door, so this has given me motivation to keep going. Last round I was close and choked coming down the last 3 holes. Granted we were really turning the pace up. We were trying to knock out 3 holes in 25 mins before my buddy had to leave so he could finish out. Hopefully soon, I will have a story to share like yours. In the meantime, keep those 70's going! Good job!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

The best part about my 79 this weekend was that it was on a course I've never played. As long as I can get off the tee, I have full confidence I can continue to shoot 70's at least semi consistently. Short game is getting real sharp lately and my putting is starting to click

Start of the season I broke 80 twice whilst playing off 17 and then once more in a doubles comp (partner got on the card twice) playing off 14. Now I've hit 12, my game has gone to hell!

This game drives me insane.

So before today I'd have never thought to be posting in this thread (normally shooting mid/low 90's) but recently I'd been around 87-88 and today I somehow managed the best round of my life with an 80! Not quite breaking 80 but I had my chance for sure had I not pushed my drive OB on 17 I'd have made it for sure.

Now that I know the talent is there it's just a question of playing up to my potential. Finally hitting driver well so that's the biggest positive for me.

So before today I'd have never thought to be posting in this thread (normally shooting mid/low 90's) but recently I'd been around 87-88 and today I somehow managed the best round of my life with an 80! Not quite breaking 80 but I had my chance for sure had I not pushed my drive OB on 17 I'd have made it for sure.

Now that I know the talent is there it's just a question of playing up to my potential. Finally hitting driver well so that's the biggest positive for me.

That's awesome dude, I knew once you could figure out how to get off the tee box your score would dramatically drop. Sounds like someone gave you a great driver.:alien:

Played a pretty tough course yesterday. Shot 39/45 84.
Did not lose a ball, but in the crap a bunch yesterday. Three 3-putts.
Not quite breaking 80, but certainly in sight.

That's awesome dude, I knew once you could figure out how to get off the tee box your score would dramatically drop. Sounds like someone gave you a great driver.:alien:

It really makes a huge difference for scoring.

Really appreciate the driver, it's super long and I've been hitting it well recently. Even decided to go for it on the par 4 with all the water and made it to dry land which I NEVER manage to make whenever I decide to go for it for fun.

80 for me today. I was +5 through 3 and that basically killed any hope of the 70's.

Last 4 9 hole rounds have been 37, 36, 36, and 38. I feel like I am getting close to belonging to the 70s club more often than not

Great job Kang!

I am heading the other way. I may be reaching the point where I need to play a little less and practice a bit more.

Last 4 9 hole rounds have been 37, 36, 36, and 38. I feel like I am getting close to belonging to the 70s club more often than not

Heck yea dude! Keep at it!

Great job Kang!

I am heading the other way. I may be reaching the point where I need to play a little less and practice a bit more.
For the most part my short game has been solid since adding the pm grind. I've all but eliminated doubles due to penalties off the tee by hitting mini instead of driver. I like where my game is headed... perhaps when I get confident in shooting 70s I can see if I can add driver back in. It's all about playing to your strength

Now that I'm post legacy, I've been wondering what I should do next. For the next month or so, it will be to simply enjoy the game without some of the 'grind' involved in preparing for a tournament.

But, once that is done, I think I'd like to break 80. July was one of my best golf months of my life. I shot a PB 83, and I think I had an 84 thrown in there as well at True Blue. I'm sitting here reflecting on how to get there, and I'm actually at a loss. I got to where I am by 1) hitting more fairways, and 2) reducing putts from about 38-40 per round to 32-34 per round. That was where I identified the most strokes lost.

Now, looking at my rounds (my good rounds at least), I get a lot of pars and bogeys, and maybe 1 or 2 doubles per round. There doesn't seem to be one single place where I consistently lose strokes. Sometimes a bunker, sometimes short game isn't on, sometimes I just chunk a shot from out in the fairway.

The only thing I can think right now is that I either need to 1) convert some of my bogeys to pars or 2) get more birdies to offset some of the bogeys. Unfortunately, just don't know how to get there.

Just my thoughts, I'll let you know when/if I figure it out. I'm hoping my new irons improve my GIR, which may just get me over that hump. They are certainly higher launching and more forgiving than my previous irons.

~Rock

Sandbagger! :angel:

Watching you play, just work on your accuracy. Get your dispersion down with all your clubs so you're missing less both side-to-side and distance. I think that will solve a whole lot of your problems all at once--you won't be in as many hazards, and you'll see your FIR and GIR count go up. You have some really great ball striking when you're "on", you just need to be "on" more often.

If I knew how to get there I'd be hanging in this thread instead of the how to break 90 one.

I broke through Las round in a pretty big way. Shot 35/39 for new PB 74. No driver meant more fairways and less big misses. Can't wait to get out again to see if I can continue good play

I broke through Las round in a pretty big way. Shot 35/39 for new PB 74. No driver meant more fairways and less big misses. Can't wait to get out again to see if I can continue good play

Boom! Congrats Kang!

Now that I'm post legacy, I've been wondering what I should do next. For the next month or so, it will be to simply enjoy the game without some of the 'grind' involved in preparing for a tournament.

But, once that is done, I think I'd like to break 80. July was one of my best golf months of my life. I shot a PB 83, and I think I had an 84 thrown in there as well at True Blue. I'm sitting here reflecting on how to get there, and I'm actually at a loss. I got to where I am by 1) hitting more fairways, and 2) reducing putts from about 38-40 per round to 32-34 per round. That was where I identified the most strokes lost.

Now, looking at my rounds (my good rounds at least), I get a lot of pars and bogeys, and maybe 1 or 2 doubles per round. There doesn't seem to be one single place where I consistently lose strokes. Sometimes a bunker, sometimes short game isn't on, sometimes I just chunk a shot from out in the fairway.

The only thing I can think right now is that I either need to 1) convert some of my bogeys to pars or 2) get more birdies to offset some of the bogeys. Unfortunately, just don't know how to get there.

Just my thoughts, I'll let you know when/if I figure it out. I'm hoping my new irons improve my GIR, which may just get me over that hump. They are certainly higher launching and more forgiving than my previous irons.

~Rock
Dan - I feel similarly.

I think we both could benefit from a mindset change. Which is what I am going to focus on over the next 6 months.

The change is this - I know that I can hit great shots. So I will focus on hitting a good shot rather than on the potential miss. Especially with wedges. I think that lower scores on all holes can be achieved by firing at pins with scoring irons, because I know I can make those shots. I don't want to worry about the miss.

From 140 yds and in, I will be firing at flags. If I miss, so be it. I will score better.

And, to support my point, I kept track of the number of shots I had from 140 yds or closer, and what my average distance to the pin was after the shot. Turns out it was 16 feet, with a thinned wedge and one bunker shot.

So, now, the goal is to get it closer and start working on putting from 16 feet and in.

Hope that helps.

I should check in to this thread because I haven't done it all year. Have had some really good chances and have shot 82 or better 7 or 8 times so far this year. Last weekend shot 80 in both rounds I played. Needed to birdie my last 2 holes on Sunday, missed a 6 footer on 17 for birdie, and birdied 18. It's getting closer and after some struggles in June/July, I feel like the game is coming back.

I should check in to this thread because I haven't done it all year. Have had some really good chances and have shot 82 or better 7 or 8 times so far this year. Last weekend shot 80 in both rounds I played. Needed to birdie my last 2 holes on Sunday, missed a 6 footer on 17 for birdie, and birdied 18. It's getting closer and after some struggles in June/July, I feel like the game is coming back.

The world needs more Dean sub 80 rounds... Get after it!

Nice freaking round man!

84 today. The swing changes are starting to set in. Not I have to find my club lengths all over again. I have picked up roughly half to a full club depending on the club. My wedges are at least a club. But zero miss hits with my irons today so that is a good start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

did it for the first time this year with a smooth 77. shakiest hole was 18. I knew I was going to put up a good number. drop-kicked my tee shot, toed my 9i, misread and tugged the putt from the fringe, and tugged the par putt! but 77 is freaking 77. 2 birds, a dub and 5 bogeys. every now and then, golf is really fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did it for the first time this year with a smooth 77. shakiest hole was 18. I knew I was going to put up a good number. drop-kicked my tee shot, toed my 9i, misread and tugged the putt from the fringe, and tugged the par putt! but 77 is freaking 77. 2 birds, a dub and 5 bogeys. every now and then, golf is really fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's awesome! Congrats!

Back