Taylormade R9 Irons

i don't get why a lot of folks compare the MX-1000's to the r9s? The r9s to me are more similar (yet slightly more forgivable) to the MP-52. They look pretty similar whereas the MX-1000 have that big cavity back. I was going to try the MX-1000's but the shop had no lefties to demo.

i cant help you out there. i just heard that they where similar to feel and distance and all that. im sure jb knows what the differences are so he can probably help you out with that when he gets on here in tomorrow.. because i have no clue how they hit. my buddy has a set of mizunos that he got fitted for a while back and he just crushes the ball he is a lefty also but he went to state in golf and all that good stuff a while back and his sister also won state a few years with mizunos so they are really good clubs and seem to work really well. there are alot of people out there that play mizunos and really like them.. but like you said its just all preference..

but im gettin off here, past my bedtime lol you west coast people have messed up times haha

i don't get why a lot of folks compare the MX-1000's to the r9s? The r9s to me are more similar (yet slightly more forgivable) to the MP-52. They look pretty similar whereas the MX-1000 have that big cavity back. I was going to try the MX-1000's but the shop had no lefties to demo.

the 1000's are a bit "bigger" than the R9's in my eyes as well. have you tried the mx300's? i think that they might be just what the doctor ordered for you. i'm w/bridges, you can't go wrong with the R9's. i've never hit them but i really want to, i've heard a ton of good stuff about them. at this point, everything you are looking at are great clubs, but whatever you decide to get, make sure to get fit for them. i know the pro said that you were +1/2'' and 2* up but for which club. most brands stock lie's are different, so just make sure that after you pick one, to be fit for it.

the 1000's are a bit "bigger" than the R9's in my eyes as well. have you tried the mx300's? i think that they might be just what the doctor ordered for you. i'm w/bridges, you can't go wrong with the R9's. i've never hit them but i really want to, i've heard a ton of good stuff about them. at this point, everything you are looking at are great clubs, but whatever you decide to get, make sure to get fit for them. i know the pro said that you were +1/2'' and 2* up but for which club. most brands stock lie's are different, so just make sure that after you pick one, to be fit for it.

MX-200s are closer than MX-300s TC. The 300s have even a smaller head and less offset than the 200s, which have even less than the R9s.

MX-200s are closer than MX-300s TC. The 300s have even a smaller head and less offset than the 200s, which have even less than the R9s.

yeah, from reading the op it seems like he wants to like something a bit smaller, so i just recommended the 300's. i can't wait to get my 300's after i win the raffle....haha.

i just want to make sure that whatever iron he chooses he gets fit for that particular iron, b/c unless i'm reading all of this wrong, he's assuming that he's just +1/2'' and 2* up, and we know that those numbers could very well change depending on which sticks he goes with in the end.

fitted with the r9's. thank you for the correction on that. From what I was told, it sounded like I was 1/2 and 2* for everything. and the mx-300's, just from what I've read, are probably too much club for me. I like the forgiveness of the R9's, it's pretty perfect if you ask me.

The fitting was fun, my first time. The little sticker thing on the bottom of the club was completely consistent. (you can tell i'm a newbie, huh!? ah i'm not afraid to admit it). I hit above center in just about the exact same place every time. that was my first time hitting off a hard mat thing before though, and i was so afraid to ruin the club that sometimes i'd hit it so thin that it wouldn't register anything, LOL! The guy fittin' me said, "take your skirt off and hit the ball" hah!

Wow, it is so interesting to get another person's opinion on these clubs, because I had to choose between the 200's and the r9's. My feelings toward them were completely the opposite. I thought the R9's lacked the feel, but the 200's were still buttery smooth. I think both are great sticks, and if you do decide on one of these you will be extremely happy!

I'll definitely be hitting the MX-200's before making any final decisions with the r9s! It'll depend on if I can feel where the ball is mishit, spin, and I guess, distance (even though I am just fine with distance as a 25 year old hockey player.. hitting the r9 6 iron 210 yards on the fly).

I'll definitely be hitting the MX-200's before making any final decisions with the r9s! It'll depend on if I can feel where the ball is mishit, spin, and I guess, distance (even though I am just fine with distance as a 25 year old hockey player.. hitting the r9 6 iron 210 yards on the fly).

wow! thats some ridiculous distance.

I went to golf mart the other day and took the r9's onto the simulator. It said it was only going 185, so I guess there was some wind at the range which was carrying my ball to infinity and beyond.

I consider myself to be above average in "distance" and my 6 iron doesn't come anywhere near 185. That is a 5 or even a 4h depending on the wind/slope and including roll. What is your driver distance and ss?

I went to golf mart the other day and took the r9's onto the simulator. It said it was only going 185, so I guess there was some wind at the range which was carrying my ball to infinity and beyond.

I consider myself to be above average in "distance" and my 6 iron doesn't come anywhere near 185. That is a 5 or even a 4h depending on the wind/slope and including roll. What is your driver distance and ss?

what is considered average distance for 7iron, pw, driver, and say 4 hybrid? i was just curious..

I should say I consider myself above average distance with the driver. I don't seem to be that much above 'average' with my irons.
I judge that off of the people see playing my course. I know there are longer drivers than me, but I only encounter one every 5th round or so.

My distances
Driver: 250-265 depending on the day (average per GPS)
4h: 190
7i: 155
PW: 125

what is considered average distance for 7iron, pw, driver, and say 4 hybrid? i was just curious..

That is for a different thread. We have a few on people's distances. Lets keep this one about the irons. Thanks.

ahh alright thanks. i wonder if there is a chart somewhere on the internet that shows all the distances for average, above average, and low handicap people. just kind of curious to see all the differences..

edit: sorry didnt see ur post till after i posted this..

well i will answer your questions but also talk about these irons, that cool JB?

I made the decision to buy the r9's.. What's my next step? The golf shops I've been to around me (San Mateo, CA) all do the custom fitting, all will special order b/c I'm a lefty. The only thing is that one place is telling me I'm + 1 degree on the lie, and the other says 2 degrees. then one says i'm standard length and the other says + 1/2 inch. both say heavy stiff shaft for me, the 130 gram Dynamic Gold S300.

should i go to a 3rd shop for a 3rd opinion on these r9s? Or is one degree and 1/2 inch difference pretty negligible?

So to answer your question -- I drive it to the net at my range which sits about 265 away, so don't know about the roll. But this place always has wind behind the ball so it's really hard to judge how much it's helping (probably a ton). I don't really calculate on the course but here and there other playing partners will casually say, "you musta hit that ball 300 yards!" I'm consistently about 250 - 275 though on the course, though obviously not trying to kill it. I am not consistent with my drive however... sometimes dead straight, other times huge slice. What sucks is I can't feel the difference in my swing. If i didn't look at where the ball went, I wouldn't be able to tell you which one felt like a slice and which went straight.

well i will answer your questions but also talk about these irons, that cool JB?

Of course. We want everybody's opinions.

i'm not too sure how one can say plus 1* while the other says plus 2*, unless there's just something in the swing. and it's also strange that one's measuring you for an extra 1/2 inch and the other says standard. perhaps a third opinion isn't the worst idea in this situation.

is it gonna be the same price from all the shops for the most part? Are prices mainly just determined by the OM, in this case TaylorMade?

is it gonna be the same price from all the shops for the most part? Are prices mainly just determined by the OM, in this case TaylorMade?

you should see very similar prices across the board i would assume.

Happy so far....

Happy so far....

I read reviews and overthought my new iron purchase for tooooo long. I played Titleist DCI 962's with S300's for 11 years and wanted something more forgiving since I don't practice much. I liked the look and feel of the R9's and found a pro with a Taylormade fitting cart. I didn't have full confidence with my fitting (no launch monitor, seemed short timewise), but I had received wonderful recommendations about the pro, so I went with it (again, after way too much deliberation). Purchased 4-PW with KBS Tour shafts (not the 90, like the extra weight) with a 3 hybrid and couldn't be happier after two rounds. They are so forgiving, straight, and long. KBS tours are smooth. I don't notice any clicky feeling or sound. Turf interaction is good. They seen to pull the ball on most shots; guess I'll just have to get used to more offset than my previous sticks. Overall, a success thus far.
:alien2:

Background on me. I play 3-4 times a week and practice several hours 4-5 times a week on the range. My irons are the strongest part of my game, and instead of ever hitting on possible rocky ground, or near trees, I just take a one stroke penalty and declare the ball unplayable. I take care of my clubs.

I've had my R9s for almost exactly 5 months now. Proud owner that hasn't regretted the purchase.

Until recently. This past Friday, while on the range, the head of my 4i broke off after hitting a ball. Pretty disappointing because I usually tee off with my 4i. So I thought, ok, well, maybe because it's one of the most used irons in my set, I guess it could be a decent enough reason to break off... I go to Golf Galaxy wondering if they could fix it, and they tell me instead that they'll send it to TaylorMade and have it fixed under warranty.

Ok, that's not too bad, except for the waiting 3 weeks part without my most heavily used iron. Guess I'll start using the 5.
I play Sat, Sun, and Mon without a 4i.

Then I played again today. Front 9, I was 5 over, beaming with confidence (even without my 4i). On the 11th hole, I use my 5i in an attempt to clear a water hazard, and as soon as I hit the ball, the head does the EXACT same thing my 4i did just 4 days earlier... (the rest of my round went down the drain, I was so scared of making any contact on the ground with the rest of my irons for fear of them breaking.)

Now, I am without a 4i for another 2 weeks, and I'll have to go without a 5i for however long.

I read the post on the machspeeds and the issues sound very similar. The picture shows the exact same area where my 4i and 5i broke. I'm really scared that within the next few days, another one will be flying off...

I'll be calling TaylorMade tomorrow about the issue and see what they can do.

IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG

that's a bummer dtak. seems like there's a lot of issues with the R9's. that sucks man.

taylormade will fix your problem no doubt. there service is great. i had something go wrong with my iron (very minor, the r9 logo came off on back of the iron) and taylormade is sending me a a whole new iron. they will make things right, very good service. you should have nothing to worry about on getting a replacement.

but sorry you had to go through it as it will probably be stuck in the back of your mind now during rounds, i find myself checking to see if the logos are still there more often than i should now.. hope you get it worked out!

Wow, looks like a bad run of shafts! I know it doesn't help much but I'm sure TM will take care of you.

Back