ESPN British Open Best Ball Challenge

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
I am using the same group that we used for the US Open. I just changed the group name.

NOTE: This is not an official THP contest. No prizes will be awarded, this is simply for bragging rights.

Join here: http://games.espn.go.com/majors/en/frontpage. PLEASE USE YOUR THP USERNAME OR SIMILAR.

Group name: THP BRITISH OPEN
Password: hackers

This game is actually set up as a "Majors" challenge, but if we do this, we'll just set it up for each major as it happens.

NOTE: This is the same group that we used for the U.S. Open Best Ball Challenge (I changed the group name) so anyone who got in the first one can see how they are doing with their running total (for this and the PGA Best Ball Challenge). To see how you are doing in just this Challenge, click on the header "SEGMENT".

I hope everyone who played before can use their bookmarked link to get into this one. If you can't let me know and I'll set up a complete new group. Also, make note of the time you have to have your roster set for the next round. It's across the ocean so you need to pick your roster for the day the night before.

Rules:

Your Roster
Best Ball Majors Challenge rosters are composed of four golfers equal to/or under a fifty(50) million dollar salary cap. In order for a roster to be complete, four roster slots must be filled while keeping the total roster value equal or under the salary limit.

Players select their roster for each round of the tournament. There is no limit to the number of transactions that may be made. All changes to foursomes must be made by the respective start time of each major:

How to Play

Welcome to Best Ball Majors Challenge - an exciting foray into the biggest PGA tournaments. The object of the game is simple: pick four golfers under a salary cap of fifty million, and accumulate the most points based off of your golfers' performance throughout each week of the U.S. Open, the British Open, and the P.G.A. Championship events.

Creating an Entry

To enter, fill out the free game registration form on ESPN.com. After registering, you are ready to play Best Ball Majors Challenge. A valid ESPN member name and password will be used as an identifier to login to game play, and to keep track of your entry's score and standing. If you are already a registered ESPN account holder, you do not need to go through this necessary process, although if you are under 18 you must obtain the consent of your parent or legal guardian (as explained in the Official Rules). If you've had an ESPN account in the past but forgot it, check member services to find your account information.

Once you have created an ESPN.com account, head on over to the Best Ball Majors Challenge frontpage and click on the "Create Entry" button. Your entry will be created. Although the game is free to play, you can only play with one ESPN.com account if you choose to compete for a prize.

Once you have pressed the "Create Entry" button, you will be sent to your entry customization page. Here you will be able to name your entry as well as elect to receive weekly reminder emails. These weekly emails are sent only for the purpose of reminding you to set your roster. You may change your entry settings at any point of the game by clicking on the "Edit Entry Settings" link.

You have the option to group yourself with friends, co-workers, or completely random fans by joining or creating a group. Within each group, your entry will be automatically ranked. Most of the groups in Best Ball Majors Challenge are public and can be joined at any time. If you want to play with a specific group of people you know, create a private group and make it only accessible to those whom you have given the group password. The creator of a group sets the group's name, motto and password. You can add your entry into a total of three different groups from the Group Directory page. Outside of smack talking rights, there is no prize awarded for winning your group.

Your Roster

Best Ball Majors Challenge rosters are composed of four golfers equal to/or under a fifty(50) million dollar salary cap. In order for a roster to be complete, four roster slots must be filled while keeping the total roster value equal or under the salary limit.

Players select their roster for each round of the tournament. There is no limit to the number of transactions that may be made. All changes to foursomes must be made by the respective start time of each major:

Segment 1: U.S. Open Championship

* Round One - June 17, 2010, 10:00am ET
* Round Two - June 18, 2010, 10:00am ET
* Round Three - June 19, 2010, 10:00am ET
* Round Four - June 20, 2010, 10:00am ET

Segment 2: British Open Championship

* Round One - July 15, 2010, 1:00am ET
* Round Two - July 16, 2010, 1:00am ET
* Round Three - July 17, 2010, 1:00am ET
* Round Four - July 18, 2010, 1:00am ET

Segment 3: PGA Championship

* Round One - August 12, 2010, 7:00am ET
* Round Two - August 13, 2010, 7:00am ET
* Round Three - August 14, 2010, 7:00am ET
* Round Four - August 15, 2010, 7:00am ET

NOTE: Golfers with a red background indicate that the golfer is no longer in the upcoming tournament. If you do not change this golfer, you will not get points for his roster spot.

Creating a Roster:

To assemble your roster on the freeagency page, first choose the slot for the new golfer by clicking on the yellow "Edit" button on the left side of the Roster. Once a golfer slot has been selected, the slot will be highlighted. You can only select one slot at a time.
With a golfer slot selected, find a golfer to add to your team and click the green ADD button. Golfers that were currently in that spot will now be replaced with the new golfer.
Once you have added a golfer to your roster, you either select another golfer, or drop that golfer entirely. Dropping a golfer will return the golfer to the free agent pool. You cannot submit a foursome with less than four golfers.
As you add players to your team, your total money spent will be calculated. If you exceed your budget, your currency totals will be highlighted in red. If your total money spent is under the salary cap, your current totals will be highlighted in green. You cannot submit a foursome that exceeds the fixed salary cap.
Once you have filled your team, click the "Save Team" button to continue.

Scoring
The Promotion uses a bestball scoring format. During the tournament, the hole-by-hole score for each of the golfers on your foursome will be compared for each hole of the tournament. The lowest number of strokes credited to a golfer on your foursome will be your score for each hole (Example: If three golfers finish a hole with four strokes and one finishes with three, you will receive a score of three). The scores for each regulation hole (playoffs not included) will be aggregated and will represent your final score for the round.

An entrant's entry will accumulate points based on the daily percentile ranking of his or her entry. For example, if an entry finishes in the 90th percentile upon the conclusion of the round the entry will receive 90 points. From all eligible entries received, the winners will be determined based on their ability to use their skill and knowledge of the PGA Tour to accumulate the highest overall score during the four Segments. In the event the scheduled PGA event listed does not occur as scheduled (e.g., the tournament is cancelled, postponed, etc.) no points will be awarded. Any golfer withdrawing from a tournament will get credited for completed rounds, but not for partially completed rounds.

Already in, bring it on!!!

I made a team... but I don't really understand how this works?
Anyone wanna 'splain it to me?

I made a team... but I don't really understand how this works?
Anyone wanna 'splain it to me?

You pick four golfers for round one. You can pick anyone you want, but their salary combined must be $50 million or less. Then you take the best score out of the four for each hole of the first round to come up with a best ball score. You can change your roster for round two, round three and round four.

Last edited:
Awesome.

Thanks smalls!

I'm going to keep bumping this thing until Wednesday night.

At least I remembered more than the night before this time!

I picked my foursome. I hope to retain king of the mountain this time around.

I was hoping you'd remember to get in Dirt!

As usual, I'm in.

Stupid ESPN's registration link is broken. Guess ill try tomorrow.

I've got my roster set, and right now it's all U.S. guys. That may change, and I have $1.6 million left to spend.

There's been three more members sign up, not sure how many of the people who played the U.S. Open Challenge have set a roster yet.

Mine is set... It should be very interesting. I didn't attempt to institute any real strategy with the picks- though I thought about a lot of ways to over-analyze the players and construct... the ultimate team!

I am also set. I thought this was great during the US Open

Mine is set. Of course I'm a sucker for a good beating so I have one Yank and the rest Brits.

Thanks Smalls!!!!!!!! Just joined.

Mine is set... It should be very interesting. I didn't attempt to institute any real strategy with the picks- though I thought about a lot of ways to over-analyze the players and construct... the ultimate team!

Obviously you want at least one guy who gets a lot of sub-par holes. The other three their birdies don't matter if they get them on the same holes! I haven't figured out yet exactly what combination works best!

I was thinking a very aggressive player or two paired with an even-steven guy. I also have to think that scramble percentage makes a pretty big difference too.

I was thinking a very aggressive player or two paired with an even-steven guy. I also have to think that scramble percentage makes a pretty big difference too.

I've tried that! A guy who makes a lot of eagles. Sometimes works better than others, depends on if you get him on a good day or not! I know you want one of your guys to make a lot of pars so you have a minimum of bogey scores in your foursome.

We're up to 20 people. Well, 6 new people to go witht he 14 who were already in! I'm not sure how many of them are playing this time!

Make that 21...So lets just prove that i know nothing about picking players!!!

22 people so far!

Don't forget to make your first round team before 1:00 AM ET.

Ok so I'm going with the one really good one, 2 ok's that might have a chance, and one that's off the charts darkhorse (because he's dirt cheap) strategy. What else is everyone going with?

Got mine in earlier... glad I'm not the only one who didn't have too much of a strategy though out!

Els
Stricker
Watson
Holmes

let the birdie train begin!!!

Back