This is going to make me sound desperate...

Den60

Reaction score
Handicap
13.6 USGA
but I just spent $8 to buy a ball marker called Vector Putt. No, it doesn't put lines on the ball, it is used to make it easier to align the printing or line you draw on the ball with your intended line of the putt. It is a ball marker the size of a poker chip. There is a 45[SUP]o [/SUP]arc with lines that you use to establish the line of the putt. Once you establish the line of your putt you place the ball back on the same line you first used and align either the ball imprint or your mark with the vector line you decided was in line with your putt.

It is the damned 4-6 footers that are killing me right now, I putt better from a distance (and I generally don't use the imprint to line these up). I just have a real hard time finding a spot on the green and seeing it the same way once I'm standing over it and I have the hardest time finding one on the shorter putts to do this.

Anyone else here that has used this or something like it?

$8 to help with your putting? I've spent a lot more on a lot worse

Don't change your mind on the aim once you get over the ball. Trust what you saw when you lined it up.

The one JLukes posted reminds me of the one from Spakesology that Jimmy Hanlin was advertising (only heard of him from the 18 Holes TV show when prepping for Olde Stonewall this year)

Don't change your mind on the aim once you get over the ball. Trust what you saw when you lined it up.

This. Only your binocular vision is correct.

The one JLukes posted reminds me of the one from Spakesology that Jimmy Hanlin was advertising (only heard of him from the 18 Holes TV show when prepping for Olde Stonewall this year)

The problem is that when I find something to line up with once I stand over the ball I can't really find it again (unless it is obvious). My last round I had a loose impediment (looked like the stem of a leaf) where one end was right on my line. Easy to see, didn't remove it and knocked in a 6 footer. It's those putts up to six feet that, when I miss, really upset me.

To me this wouldn't help me. I don't really understand it. If it works for u and it was $8 that's a great investment. Many ppl myself included spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on putters trying to get the ball in the hole.

I stopped using the alignment aids on the golf balls sometime around last year IIRC and stopped stepping in front of the ball when aligning the putter. I find these helped me, and hopefully might help someone else out. But for $8 I don't think you made a bad investment, and if it helps it helps.

I actually bought the One Putt marker and it aided me initially to help me line up my putts. No harm in trying. If it works for you, why not. It's was a cheap experiment if its no addition. Could be worst...you could off spent hundreds on a new putt with the same results.
51HUmIpu2XL._SX425_.jpg

One Putt v. Scotty Cameron...wonder which came first? Or, said another way, who stole whose idea? :popcorn:

better check Rules of Golf. last time i checked, in official tournaments, you can't use anything that will aid you in your putt, like an alignment aid. see jeff overton. for friendly games, i think it's okay.

better check Rules of Golf. last time i checked, in official tournaments, you can't use anything that will aid you in your putt, like an alignment aid. see jeff overton. for friendly games, i think it's okay.

It can be used as long as it is removed prior to the stroke.

It says that it is USGA approved, though I will defer to the rules experts on here. The ball marker (and its alignment aid) are removed before you putt so it isn't aiding with the putt itself. I would think drawing a line on the ball would be considered an alignment aid as well but I see a lot of pros on tour doing that and that line is used during the stroke of the putt.

I actually bought the One Putt marker and it aided me initially to help me line up my putts. No harm in trying. If it works for you, why not. It's was a cheap experiment if its no addition. Could be worst...you could off spent hundreds on a new putt with the same results.
51HUmIpu2XL._SX425_.jpg

I have a question. I always thought the rules state that you must mark your ball with a round object. I remember, years ago, when a pro couldn't find a coin in his pocket so he used his hotel key (must of been years ago for him to have a key and not a card for his room). Someone in the TV audience saw that and called claiming he improperly marked his ball. I seem to recall that he was disqualified for signing an incorrect score card.

Let me start by stating that putting is so individualistic that what works for one may very well not work for another. Thus, if what I have to say does not work for you, that's ok ... Just ignore it. Let me also agree Brian. Trust what you saw when you were behind the ball.

i used to use alignment aids on my golf balls, but found that if I did not have the line perfectly aimed, it really threw me off. Also, if the "aid" is distracting you from not concentrating on the actual putt, I would stop using it. Finally, I am a firm believer that your speed influences your line much more than your line influences your speed. That's why once I have my line determined (while standing behind it), I shift my attention to executing the stroke for the proper speed. FWIW

So you would use this to mark your ball at an angle instead of directly behind the ball? I am pretty sure this is illegal....

I have a question. I always thought the rules state that you must mark your ball with a round object. I remember, years ago, when a pro couldn't find a coin in his pocket so he used his hotel key (must of been years ago for him to have a key and not a card for his room). Someone in the TV audience saw that and called claiming he improperly marked his ball. I seem to recall that he was disqualified for signing an incorrect score card.
The rules don't state that your ball marker must be round. You can even use a pebble you find on the course for all the rules care.

So you would use this to mark your ball at an angle instead of directly behind the ball? I am pretty sure this is illegal....
You can mark your ball behind or to the side of the ball. The USGA recommends immediately behind the ball as a best practice, that way it is easier to place the ball back in the exact location it was when lifted. See decision 20-1/16

No, the directions state that you put the ball back on the line you used to first mark you ball (there are graphics on the marker to help you do this). Once the ball is placed then you rotate it to the line you chose for your putt. I will probably use the center for the initial mark. That still allows you 22.5[SUP]o[/SUP] to each side for your line.

Let me start by stating that putting is so individualistic that what works for one may very well not work for another. Thus, if what I have to say does not work for you, that's ok ... Just ignore it. Let me also agree Brian. Trust what you saw when you were behind the ball.

i used to use alignment aids on my golf balls, but found that if I did not have the line perfectly aimed, it really threw me off. Also, if the "aid" is distracting you from not concentrating on the actual putt, I would stop using it. Finally, I am a firm believer that your speed influences your line much more than your line influences your speed. That's why once I have my line determined (while standing behind it), I shift my attention to executing the stroke for the proper speed. FWIW

I'm with you on that. Once you get over the ball you have to trust your putt, which is why I stopped using the imprint on the ball to line up my putts. One of the issues I had is that when I would put the ball down the line was not quite inline with the line I would choose so I would think about hitting it slightly right or left and that just screwed me up because I was thinking way too much and my speed control would go to hell. Plus, for me just getting the imprint level on top of the ball is an issue. With this aid I can do that no problem. I really just want to limit my misses from 6' and in, the ones you really expect to make. If this helps me with the 10 to 12 footers as well then great. When I get beyond that distance then I am more focused on just getting it close so I don't three putt.

I'm with you on that. Once you get over the ball you have to trust your putt, which is why I stopped using the imprint on the ball to line up my putts. One of the issues I had is that when I would put the ball down the line was not quite inline with the line I would choose so I would think about hitting it slightly right or left and that just screwed me up because I was thinking way too much and my speed control would go to hell. Plus, for me just getting the imprint level on top of the ball is an issue. With this aid I can do that no problem. I really just want to limit my misses from 6' and in, the ones you really expect to make. If this helps me with the 10 to 12 footers as well then great. When I get beyond that distance then I am more focused on just getting it close so I don't three putt.

I also struggled with 6' and in. I started practicing looking at the hole, or the spot I wanted to put to, and never looking at the ball after my initial set-up. I get a case of the pulls in some rare rounds, but otherwise, it's no longer a major issue for me (I know, I know ... Famous last words).

Back