The iPhone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
GolfShot GPS, Icey. I tried others... nothing compares. UI is easy and GPS is as accurate as you can ask for on an IPhone. Just make sure you do all you can to save battery when using it or add a battery pack.

I agree, I'm jailbroken so I've been able to try all the golf GPS apps, and Golfshot GPS is the best I've seen.

If you are looking for a free option, Golfcard is the best out there... I really liked the older versions of Golfcard because it would sync all my scores with oob, but the newest update cancelled their relationship...

I use golfshot too. Tried all of them and like this one the best

Just saw the new Golfscape, from the makers of golfshot, how cool!!!

Golfscape

Just saw the new Golfscape, from the makers of golfshot, how cool!!!

Golfscape

That does look pretty sweet. The one thing that popped into my mind when I saw that... how much battery is that app going to eat up.

That does look pretty sweet. The one thing that popped into my mind when I saw that... how much battery is that app going to eat up.

Thats what I always think when I see these apps for the iPhone. And will I have to hold it funny for it to work right lol

But it does look pretty cool

Thats what I always think when I see these apps for the iPhone. And will I have to hold it funny for it to work right lol

I thought about both of those things, I also was curious what the glare might be like when holding it.

the trick is with all these gofl apps for the iphone is to press the little button at the top of the iphone to make it 'sleep' when the app isn't being used. saves the battery like you can't believe

ya im curious about the glare also, because in the sun i can barely see anything on it.

the trick is with all these gofl apps for the iphone is to press the little button at the top of the iphone to make it 'sleep' when the app isn't being used. saves the battery like you can't believe

yep I can get through an entire round and use very little battery by doing this

ya im curious about the glare also, because in the sun i can barely see anything on it.

I usually put the brightness very very low when using a gps app to save battery, and if needed just hold my hand over it to avoid glare.

the iPhone 4's screen seems to not be phazed by glare though... it remains the same in just about all conditions. it's weird, lol.

You dont even have to do that, it adjust the screen brightness itself

You dont even have to do that, it adjust the screen brightness itself

When it's not in use it dims it by itself, but even when I use Golfshot, I keep the brightness verrry low.

my brightness stays all the way down 24/7 im used to it now and it saves a bunch of battery. i charge my phone every night and im usually on it alot during the day and i still have plenty of battery left.

when you are talking about the "sleep" button you mean hit the lock button on the top of the phone on the right side? just want to make sure lol

im thinking about giving this app a shot just to see what its like. i am buying a bunshell tour v2 soon so it will be pretty cool to compare. the app is just a one time fee of 19.99 right?

App is $19.99 but It doesn't do a scorecard like GolfShot. I wonder if it has some sort of integration with GolfShot. As far as the battery, I do all those tricks and yet I still en up with 10% post round (which is ok if I ha a car charger but I don't). I guess I just might have to splurge for a car charger. I like the app a lot compared to all the others I have tried an I might even try that golfplan app with Azinger as well.

this app and golfshot app are made by same people. it looks like a good app. i dont think it tells you how far your driving distances though. and for 19.99 its hard to beat if it will do everything else. i can write my own score down lol

hey spank do you have the regular golf shot app? i think its 29.99 just wondering how it was?

hey spank do you have the regular golf shot app? i think its 29.99 just wondering how it was?

Yes I do. Awesome. I've tried EA Tee Shot Live and ViewTI and this one takes the cake. You can do scoring, GPS is as accurate as you can get for a GPS app (more accurate than the others i've used), it can track distance (but it doesn't store it). It does keep all your other stats though (GIR, Fairways hit, putts, etc). A couple of minor negatives, it isn't as fast locking on GPS as a standalone GPS (normal for all IPhone GPS apps), doesn't keep driving distance numbers for stats (could be upgraded in a later update), no integration with unofficial handicap trackers like oob golf (could also be upgraded in a later update), and the battery is drained faster than other apps (even after all the battery saving tricks). UI is super easy, no yearly subscription fees, lots of courses available, and statistics are easy to follow and visually attractive. Once you set it up right, it even gives you distances to multiple layup points you designate. A+ app for me.

sweet! so in other words no since in buying a 200 dollar gps when i could just get this for 30 bucks. i guess you could always write down your driving distances under your scores then average them out later on. we you say set it up right. can you set up your course on the computer or do you do it by phone?

thanks man! you might have just saved me alot of money lol

sweet! so in other words no since in buying a 200 dollar gps when i could just get this for 30 bucks. i guess you could always write down your driving distances under your scores then average them out later on. we you say set it up right. can you set up your course on the computer or do you do it by phone?

I was going a standalone gps / rangefinder until I got into these iPhone ones. And from the sounds of it golfshot + golfscape = awesome !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you start a new round it will ask you if you would allow the gps to know where you are. If you say yes it will list all the courses near your current location and chances are the one on top is where you are. For a list of courses they carry go to http://golfshot.com You have to setup an account with golfshot so you can get your stats and it's pretty easy to do. What I was saying about setting it up right is in the setup mode for the app, there is a part where you input your clubs, then go to layup distances, then enter the clubs you want to allot with certain yardages (you get 3) for example I have sw = 110, 7i = 150, 3h = 200 and when you do that, when playing, the gps will give you yardages for green (front midle back), hazards, as well as to those distances (110, 150, 200) so you can hit to a layup distance you designate. Pretty cool and a first among all the apps I tried.

Comparing an IPhone app and a standalone GPS are like comparing apples and oranges. Both have functionality that differs. Obviously price is a huge difference an if you don't need the fastest reading or the most accurate then the app might suit you (the difference in speed of reading the distances is due to hardware as the IPhone uses more of a triangulation system rather than a constant direct link that a standalone has). For me the app suits fine and in all honesty $30 isn't much to plunk on a trial that has huge upside rather than buying $300 worth of equipment you might have buyers remorse over (heck we've plunked more money down for clubs we might hit 'ok', what's $30 bucks).

I was going a standalone gps / rangefinder until I got into these iPhone ones. And from the sounds of it golfshot + golfscape = awesome !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icey, if you get golfscape let me know how it treats you. I'm pretty geek when it comes to tech stuff so cool :poop: like that intrigues me.

When you start a new round it will ask you if you would allow the gps to know where you are. If you say yes it will list all the courses near your current location and chances are the one on top is where you are. For a list of courses they carry go to http://golfshot.com You have to setup an account with golfshot so you can get your stats and it's pretty easy to do. What I was saying about setting it up right is in the setup mode for the app, there is a part where you input your clubs, then go to layup distances, then enter the clubs you want to allot with certain yardages (you get 3) for example I have sw = 110, 7i = 150, 3h = 200 and when you do that, when playing, the gps will give you yardages for green (front midle back), hazards, as well as to those distances (110, 150, 200) so you can hit to a layup distance you designate. Pretty cool and a first among all the apps I tried.

Comparing an IPhone app and a standalone GPS are like comparing apples and oranges. Both have functionality that differs. Obviously price is a huge difference an if you don't need the fastest reading or the most accurate then the app might suit you (the difference in speed of reading the distances is due to hardware as the IPhone uses more of a triangulation system rather than a constant direct link that a standalone has). For me the app suits fine and in all honesty $30 isn't much to plunk on a trial that has huge upside rather than buying $300 worth of equipment you might have buyers remorse over (heck we've plunked more money down for clubs we might hit 'ok', what's $30 bucks).

awesome! thank you for all the info! ya i already had an account when i saw the app a while ago but did not know much about it. it has all 3 of the courses i usually play so thats an added bonus. and i hear you 30 bucks for something that could help you save a few strokes a round is better than a 200 dollar club you hit ok. but in all honesty im still thinking im going to get the v2 just so i can use it a ranges and also to use on the course in case my battery dies or i just dont feel like messing with the app that day, so both will be nice. i was going to buy a gps for $150 to just so i could have both and one to keep stats but you just saved me 120 bucks lol. thanks man!

Icey, if you get golfscape let me know how it treats you. I'm pretty geek when it comes to tech stuff so cool :poop: like that intrigues me.

I will be sure to keep you guys posted if and I should say when I pick it up. Who am I kidding I'll probably get it once I get home tonight!

Golfshot is awesome and I highly recommend it. Golfscape looks cool, i didnt know it existed when I bought golfshot hehe.

Also, the Apple Dual-Driver In Ear headphones have superb audio quality (usually have to spend an arm and a leg for dual driver modules) and are very convenient withmicrophone, play/pause and volume adjustments on the cord! I've bought 2 pairs from a dude in california on Ebay for around $35 (lost the first pair).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back