My first swing video!

jbardet

Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
Woo! Finally got a video to post. Sorry about the terrible quality, but i think you can see the gist of the swing.

Any and all input is very welcome!

Is there something in this swing that you can see that would cause a slice? I don't slice my irons, but my driver... oh my.

It looks to me like you have some good moves in your swing. As for the slice yes I can see where it is coming from. Take a piece of paper or something straight and lay in on your club shaft at setup. Watch where the club goes on the down swing. See how it start well above the line at the top. This move is an over the top move that is leading to an outside in swing path causing pulls or slices. The baseball diamond drill is a great one for you. Place a tee about 3 inches in front and an inch left of the ball you are hitting try to swing through the ball and out over that tee. It will feel like you are looping the club under at the top. Try this and let me know how things go.

Thank you very much, amollerud. I will get to the range tonight and try this.

question about my swing:

is there too much 'sway' during my back swing? I think i'd easily hit both sides if I was standing in a barrel. is this sway (that I see) problematic?

I don't see much sway. It looks like more over rotation of the low body versus a sway. You can check by putting a straight edge along the outside of your leg at setup and swing to the top to see if the leg moves much.

Amollerud -- I tried the drill briefly but it was difficult for me to do without first believing that I truly had a problem. Today I played a horrendous 18 holes and now am fully committed to doing what it takes to change my swing for the better.

First, I need to understand what is causing my slice which is now blatantly obvious to me after doing some video research on youtube. My grip was straight down the shaft causing the vulnerability for the club face to be open. Also, looking at my video now, I can see that I am casting quite a bit. So the grip, the casting, and the overall trying to kill the ball with a 110% backswing is probably the majority of the problem.

I'll let you know how the practice at the range goes looking at these issues.

Keep me up to date and if you like post an updated video for us to look at. I will get you some drills if you get stuck or need help.

here's the updated video, let me know what you think!
[youtube]ekvl2-fvYww[/youtube]

sorry not side angle. was shooting this from my cell phone propped on my jacket.

The swing in slow motion looked pretty good. Your takeaway is looking better! I still think we tend to get over the top to start the down swing. Work on the baseball diamond drill to help fix the plane on the down swing.

The drill: Your ball is on home plate and your ideal shot will go back over the pitchers head and fall towards right field. TO do this you need to swing out to left field. Place a tee in the ground 2-3 inches infront of your ball and 1 inch to the left. On your down swing I want you to swing through your ball and out over the tee. You will hit it thin at first, but work through this and you will see a difference in your ball flight.

Back