2015 THP Bridgestone Championship Disney Extra Rounds Thread

wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
Since there is certainly some interest in extra rounds at the THP Bridgestone Invitational, I wanted to start a new thread. I will be more than happy to coordinate making tee times for the group.

I will not have my family with me and arrive early Thursday afternoon so I'm planning on playing a ton of golf - 1 round on Thursday, 2 rounds on Friday and then 1 if not 2 rounds on Monday.

The only thing I have for sure is a 3 PM tee time at Shingle Creek on Thursday.

Any suggestions for courses and times will be much appreciated.

I will keep things updated if you are interested in playing and what courses we decide on.

Here is who expressed interest in times:

Thursday late afternoon round - Cancelled due to lack of interest.

Friday Early Morning round - Grand Cypress: North-South 18 $79+Tax: I have 1, 4 some Tee Times booked - 7:30 AM (4 some), which is the first tee time of the day.

• wubears71(Confirmed)
  • Jitzy(Confirmed)
  • Jaysfan(Confirmed)
  • hammer84(Confirmed)

Friday Early afternoon round - Grand Cypress: New Course 18 holes $59+Tax - Tee Times start at 12:40 PM (3 some).

• wubears71(Confirmed)
  • hammer84(Confirmed)
  • manlai (Confirmed)

Monday Early Morning round - Waldorf Astoria Golf Club - 7:30 AM Tee Time - $75/round:
  • spivey(Confirmed)
  • manlai (Confirmed)

Monday Late Morning / Early Afternoon round - Cancelled due to lack of interest. I cannot make it as I won't make my flight if the round goes long:

Last edited:
I land in Orlando at 12:08 on that friday and my flight departs on Monday at 1. Im good for anything in the afternoon friday and early, early monday morning.

I land on the 24th at Orlando airport at 6am,looking for a round in the afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Include me in whatever Mon am plans you have.
Will be fun to tee it up with you again - maybe I will have my driver under control by then!

I'm in for Thursday afternoon and at least one of the rounds on Friday and Monday (or maybe 36 both days too... we'll see as we get a little closer). Looking forward to it.

I wish I could but I'll be deep in family vacation stuff. I'll be saving it all for the weekend ;)

Dinner at Planet Hollywood is at 7 PM on Friday. I'm thinking we should be off the course by 5:30 PM at the absolute latest. The best bet is to play 36 somewhere on Friday - Start teeing off as early as possible - 6:30 to 7 AM and then do a replay starting at noon. While I've played several Orlando courses, I don't remember any of them so any help on where to play would be much appreciated.

Here are a couple of options I found:

Waldorf Astoria Golf - Across the highway from the Gaylord:
  • Tee Times start at 7:30 AM - $85
  • Afternoon Round - $75
  • I don't know if they have a replay rate.

Falcon's Fire Golf Club - 2 miles away from Gaylord:
  • 7 AM tee times -$44
  • Afternoon Tee Times - $35.

Here are a couple of options I found:

Waldorf Astoria Golf - Across the highway from the Gaylord:
  • Tee Times start at 7:30 AM - $85
  • Afternoon Round - $75
  • I don't know if they have a replay rate.

Falcon's Fire Golf Club - 2 miles away from Gaylord:
  • 7 AM tee times -$44
  • Afternoon Tee Times - $35.

There's the Celebration Golf Club associated with the Gaylord. They offer "preferred" tee times, don't know if you get a better rate or not and don't know if it's in good condition or not.

What about potentially playing The Palm or LBV so we'd see one or both of the courses we'd playing for the weekend? Just a thought. I'm in between wanting to get a look ahead and wanting to play something different than what I'll be playing on the weekend, but will go along with whatever.

Just from pictures and google reviews, Waldorf Astoria Golf Club and Hawk's Landing "appear" slightly better than Falcon's Fire, but Falcon's Fire rate speaks volumes on getting into the rotation.

That's all I got (for now anyway).

And I'm all for the early morning tee times... especially if we can get the first one for the day.

i could play 36 on friday if y'all have an opening. but i don't want to take a spot from anyone who is participating in the thp event.

i'm not sure how far you're willing to drive, but tranquilo golf club is about 15 minutes away from the resort, and it's a wonderful facility. wardy did a fantastic write-up here. golfnow has a ton of tee times this friday ranging from $50 to $28, though i'm not positive whether those are only for residents.

i could play 36 on friday if y'all have an opening. but i don't want to take a spot from anyone who is participating in the thp event.

i'm not sure how far you're willing to drive, but tranquilo golf club is about 15 minutes away from the resort, and it's a wonderful facility. wardy did a fantastic write-up here. golfnow has a ton of tee times this friday ranging from $50 to $28, though i'm not positive whether those are only for residents.

I'm okay with traveling for sure.

Personally I want to play some nice courses and not some goat tracks, so cost and travel time to/from the resort are not an issue for me.

There's the Celebration Golf Club associated with the Gaylord. They offer "preferred" tee times, don't know if you get a better rate or not and don't know if it's in good condition or not.

What about potentially playing The Palm or LBV so we'd see one or both of the courses we'd playing for the weekend? Just a thought. I'm in between wanting to get a look ahead and wanting to play something different than what I'll be playing on the weekend, but will go along with whatever.

Just from pictures and google reviews, Waldorf Astoria Golf Club and Hawk's Landing "appear" slightly better than Falcon's Fire, but Falcon's Fire rate speaks volumes on getting into the rotation.

That's all I got (for now anyway).

And I'm all for the early morning tee times... especially if we can get the first one for the day.

I'm down with playing the Disney courses too.

I'm okay with traveling for sure.

Personally I want to play some nice courses and not some goat tracks, so cost and travel time to/from the resort are not an issue for me.

fortunately there aren't many goat tracks around the area you're staying, with the only exception being mystic dunes. it becomes a matter of stylistic preference in design.

for celebration, it's usually in ok shape. it fits my definition of target golf, with layups off tight tees with blind doglegs. lots of trees and water. a little polarizing.

Waldorf is a very pretty golf course, with water everywhere. it's almost always in very good shape, and it's very challenging. it's a course that has bruised my ego every time I've played it, but there's no denying the quality.

I've only played lbv at Disney. it's a little short, tight, lots of water, target golf at times, with some interestingly designed holes (you can tell parts of the land handcuffed them). but like most things Disney, it's well kept. we were at Disney last week, and it looked like the course was closed due to excessive drainage issues, so might be worth a call first.

grand cypress and shingle creek are typical resort courses. lots of play, but good shape and some gimmicky design that actually comes works really well. the new course at grand cypress could not be any different from the 3 9-hole tracks they have.

I recently heard that the ritz's back 9 is currently closed for renovation, so I wouldn't consider playing there.

falcons fire is fun and gettable. usually in good shape.

tranquilo is my course du jour. beautiful, great facilities (pro v1s on the range!). probably the nicest public course in the area. once people catch on, it will be a $150 course. although #18 sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So many courses, so little time. Choices choices hard to decide. I'll leave it up to Tim since he's coordinating and follow along with whatever. Doesn't look like a bad choice in the group. Ready to go.

Count me in for a Friday afternoon round. Not sure I can do Friday morning because I'll be coming back from a trip and will need to spend some time in the office.

I have a few golf contacts in the Orlando area (Wyndham resorts and the Waldorf as we represent them). I'll reach out and see if I can get a preferred rate. Could be tough because it is still shoulder season, but it never hurts to ask.

Count me in for a Friday afternoon round. Not sure I can do Friday morning because I'll be coming back from a trip and will need to spend some time in the office.

I have a few golf contacts in the Orlando area (Wyndham resorts and the Waldorf as we represent them). I'll reach out and see if I can get a preferred rate. Could be tough because it is still shoulder season, but it never hurts to ask.
Bingo Dan, that would be unreal. Your the man already in my books.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Celebration is are aerating the greens tomorrow and I agree it is a love it or hate it course. The rough is very lush and it is possible to lose a ball 15 ft off the fairway in spots depending on when it was last mowed. With all the rain we have had there is no telling.
Jitzy and I will try and play The Palm this Friday, I will know in the morning. Rain has been a huge issue here over the last few weeks so good drainage is going to be important for any Course or cart path only could be in effect. Add 90's and 100% humidity and a cart is your friend.

Got it confirmed Jitzy, myself and a couple of buddies of mine are going to try out the Palm on Friday.

I'll be for a few . Just need to nail down travel plans.

One of the best courses around here is Grand Cypress, the greens are some of the most amazing greens you'll ever play on.

I might be in for a early Friday round as we just changed our plans to arrive on wednesday night. Got to run this by the GF first as Friday was supposed to be "relax at the resort day".

I might be in for a early Friday round as we just changed our plans to arrive on wednesday night. Got to run this by the GF first as Friday was supposed to be "relax at the resort day".
Depending on what time the early round is you could be back at the resort by noon.

Yep, we got around in 4 hours and waited quite bit this morning.

Bump for today. Do we want to shoot for grand cypress Friday? I like that course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monday round - consider Waldorf Astoria course?

Back