Issue with opponent using an oversized ball marker...

bigdaddy

Reaction score
Handicap
Has anyone run into someone who uses an oversized ball marker to mark their ball on the green. I am talking bigger than a poker chip big! I played a guy yesterday who was using one that was about 2" in diameter and 1/4" thick. I had a chip that I was playing that was tracking right for the center of the cup and his marker deflected it enough to make it a miss. I was a little angry about it, but I let it go. He gave me a "sorry about that" and we went on. To my surprise, he continued using it all day long. It actually deflected another guys putt on another hole as well. I told him that he should consider going down to a smaller ball marker, but he stated he always used it... If my marker deflected someones ball, I would immediately change it out as I would feel awful about it. For him to be "its not that big a deal", really irked me...

Am I wrong???

I usually have someone move their mark if I think my ball will roll over it.

Why don't you ask him to move it if it's on your line? Problem solved and pretty simple honestly. All of those Callaway major coins are pretty large like you are describing, so it's actually fairly common.

Not really sure why you expected him to change it out though...that part you are wrong about IMO. If that's what he is using, he's certainly welcome to. Again, just have them move it if it's on your line.

I don't care what people use to mark their ball as long as they are willing to move their mark if it's in the way of my putt/chip.

You're reading your line. My rule of thumb is if I think my ball will come within a couple of inches of someone's marker, I ask them to move it left or right. You should have asked him to move it if it was that close in my opinion. They could use a Frisbee and it wouldn't matter to me.

Just ask me to move it. My THP/FOH ball marker is always going to be in use on the green.

I'm not exact with the Rules of Golf, but I think the rules state a vague size for it "reasonable size" or something like that. I read in a magazine that it can be as big as a golf cart, provided it doesn't intrude play. There's really no need to get annoyed about it, instead, annoy the heck out of him by asking him to move the marker if there is even a slight doubt that your ball will be approaching his marker, even with your chips. You're within your rights to ask him to move the marker, so exercise your right to the max.

I go over and pick em up and put em in my pocket then put a penny in its place. I tell they guys I collect the things. :alien:

My experience with giant ball markers is that if my shot is off enough to hit them, they are just as likely to help me as hurt me.

Ask him to move the mark left or right. Common practice and everybody should be on the same page.

I know this is going to sound really bad, but oh well. Good on him. He used some top notch gamesmanship. Tip your hat and learn for next time.

I remember a guy back in High School actually used his State Championship medal from the prior year as his ball marker. What tool that guy was. ANYWAY, if the guy won't take a hint, then I'd have him moving is coin ALL the time...even if it isn't close. lol

I use a pretty big and heavy USMC marker but also carry a smaller one in my pocket from the #Grandaddy. If I feel it will be anywhere near their line or hittable then I will just mark with the smaller coin.

Easy enough to have 1 of each size in my back pocket and just pull out the one appropriate for the situation.

It really comes down to common courtesy TBH. I use both a large coin, like our THP coins, and a dime. When I am further from the hole, and not in anyone's line, I will mark it with the large coin ... just so everyone can see it and my line. So you don't have the guy who walks through your line or "hey, where are you at?" When closer to the hole or in someone's line, I will use the dime or other really small coin or marker. It also brings up a point that everyone should be aware of where Everyone IS on the green and not pay attention to just YOUR ball.
Or just like everyone else says, just ask him to move it out of your line, whether it is a putt or a chip.

Just keep saying, move it 5 left/right. Make it painful for him.

I use a pretty big and heavy USMC marker but also carry a smaller one in my pocket from the #Grandaddy. If I feel it will be anywhere near their line or hittable then I will just mark with the smaller coin.

Easy enough to have 1 of each size in my back pocket and just pull out the one appropriate for the situation.

It really comes down to common courtesy TBH. I use both a large coin, like our THP coins, and a dime. When I am further from the hole, and not in anyone's line, I will mark it with the large coin ... just so everyone can see it and my line. So you don't have the guy who walks through your line or "hey, where are you at?" When closer to the hole or in someone's line, I will use the dime or other really small coin or marker. It also brings up a point that everyone should be aware of where Everyone IS on the green and not pay attention to just YOUR ball.
Or just like everyone else says, just ask him to move it out of your line, whether it is a putt or a chip.
This is what I do. I have a Callaway coin I use far from the hole and then a dime or other small marker near the hole.

But certainly nothing wrong with asking him to move it, if it's near your line.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I remember a guy back in High School actually used his State Championship medal from the prior year as his ball marker. What tool that guy was. ANYWAY, if the guy won't take a hint, then I'd have him moving is coin ALL the time...even if it isn't close. lol
LOL. Actually I think that's pretty awesome in a Shooter McGavin kind of way.
Double LOL. I just reread your post and thought the dude was using his TROPHY as the ball marker. Which would be even more awesome in a Shooter McGavin kind of way.

Last edited:
I'm a non-confrontation kind of guy, but I'd have no problem asking him to move it or put down something smaller if it was remotely in my line. I don't mind people using unique things, but they need to be aware. The only way for them to know is if someone tells them.

I use a larger mark, about the size of a half dollar, but I always have some dime sized markers as well if my bigger one is distracting to someone. Typically if I feel I'm close to someone's line I'll ask if they want any markers moved as a courtesy. Then it's on them if it hits it.

I had a guy in my group (not a regular golfer by any means) mark his ball with a chapstick the whole round once. If you think it's in the way, simply ask him to move it.

Any player is allowed to play whatever ball marker they like. It's there right to choose what they want. But at the same time if it's in my line. He/She will be moving it out of the way while I putt/chip. Never had anyone refuse to move their marker.

I'd like to whip out a hubcap from a '72 El Dorado as my ball marker, just for giggles.

Problem I had is I was down a little embankment, chipping up the hill. It literally could have gone right at it, which it did, or a clubhead either way and been close to still hitting it. My point was that it was huge and thick and caused my ball to literally roll sideways away from the hole. If I could judge my chip that well to tell him to move it one way or the other I would.

I have seen poker chips used and have no issues with them. This thing was absurd. Even other people who have played with him agree that it is too big...

I use a THP coin or something similar in size quite often.
I just move it if it is in someone's line. No issue.
Does stink when your putt is affected by someone's ball mark, tho.

I like to play markers of many sizes, mostly the larger ones, I have no problem moving it over. That being said, those that say 'have him move it five lengths over', I would tell the person no way. A line is a line not a 3 foot proximity. It's either in your way or it isn't, if I have it moved out of my line and I hit it, that's my fault not theirs.

And that would be the perfect answer!

I had a guy in my group (not a regular golfer by any means) mark his ball with a chapstick the whole round once. If you think it's in the way, simply ask him to move it.

I hope he was not intending to soften his lips to pay off a bet in the group!!!!!

Back