just got some punches, paint pens and a fine tip brush. time to get creative!

Question for those who have done this before. Is Testors the preferred paint to use? i see they have the normal colors for $8 on ebay and then florescent ones for around $15. i have paint pens that i was going to use but after reading back through the thread it looks like Testors paint and a toothpick have been the best ways to go

Question for those who have done this before. Is Testors the preferred paint to use? i see they have the normal colors for $8 on ebay and then florescent ones for around $15. i have paint pens that i was going to use but after reading back through the thread it looks like Testors paint and a toothpick have been the best ways to go

Yes. Testors enamel paint. Everything else I've tried comes right off

Go to Hobby Lobby. They are 1.79 there. Then get a fineline applicator and you'll be a wizard. Five bucks for the applicator - 2 dollars when you give them a 40% off coupon.

Thanks fellas. Hobby Lobby it is. I'm going to try stamping and paint filling in the hopes that they come out good and look new and I don't have to buy something new haha

Thanks fellas. Hobby Lobby it is. I'm going to try stamping and paint filling in the hopes that they come out good and look new and I don't have to buy something new haha

Stamping eh? You have bronze ones my dude. I am terrified at the idea of stamping.

Go to Hobby Lobby. They are 1.79 there. Then get a fineline applicator and you'll be a wizard. Five bucks for the applicator - 2 dollars when you give them a 40% off coupon.
What's this fine line applicator you speak of?

Do yourself a favor and don't buy cheap stamps from harbor freight or something o the sort.

You don't need to spend a fortune but don't get cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stamping eh? You have bronze ones my dude. I am terrified at the idea of stamping.

I have the right tools for it. I stamp people's names on safety locks all the time so I've gotten decent with it. I have a few garage sale special wedges to try it on first and see how it comes out

Do yourself a favor and don't buy cheap stamps from harbor freight or something o the sort.

You don't need to spend a fortune but don't get cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i definitely dont have the $700 set but the set i have wasnt cheap. i got to keep it once we were given new for work so im glad i didnt have to fork over the money. Crazy how much these sets are

That looks much better than the tooth pick method.

But not as...fun? Sure I'll go with that. haha

Probably a lot less "errors" too

i definitely dont have the $700 set but the set i have wasnt cheap. i got to keep it once we were given new for work so im glad i didnt have to fork over the money. Crazy how much these sets are

Sounds like we need to hang out soon.... Well maybe not too soon... #PracticeMore hahahaha!

What gauge fine line applicator do you have Dan?

Easy enough. Fine line applicator and fluorescent orange enamel have been ordered. Paying more for shipping than the supplies haha

I have the 20 gauge one and it works quite well on my putter. 18 would be nice for a bit bigger areas.

I just used the sharpie paint pen for my orange (oil based!). I figure if the guy's in tour vans are using them, then that's good enough for me. Also, when reading on here, just remember that some people might be basing their "comes right off" having put something in to use, or testing with fingers, before the paint has had time to cure.
The sharpie oil-based will be dry to touch within an hour, but being oil-based, takes 3-7 days to fully cure.
The testor's enamel takes 2-3 days for full cure, but even up to a day in, if you touch it, it can (depending on how thick) mess up the finish. That's why their instructions specify recoating within 3 hours: so the first layer is still wet enough to combine with the new layer; OR after 48 hours: so that the first layer is cured enough to not react poorly with the new coat.

I've used both and personally, I like the paint pens better:
1) easier to use; no brush, no no toothpicks, no fill tool. Pick up color, shake, uncap, paint, recap. Next color.
2) less cleanup. None of the tools mentioned above means no cleaning them.
3) dry to touch fast. But remember cure time! Dry does NOT mean cured!

Paint pen cons:
1) a little thinner than some enamel colors, might need more coats for larger areas.
2) fewer color options...testors has LOTS of colors and finishes...matte, gloss, semi-gloss, metallic, etc...
3) more expensive. about 4 bucks a pop compared to less than 2 bucks.
4) I think enamel eventually cures harder than oil-based...but I'm not sure on that...

I haven't used the paint pens for something like my irons until now though. We'll see how well it holds up. If I can manage to refrain from hitting them for a few days!

What do you think?

1727633628399f5612edb206c6d8b2da.jpg

I think quality wise, they look great. I think the color is a little too green to be Canadan blue. Maybe its just the photo.

I've adjusted slightly. This is "turquoise"

I prefer the Canadan blue to be honest. But do what makes that bearded face smile.

I prefer the Canadan blue to be honest. But do what makes that bearded face smile.

hahaha, I don't enjoy the relationship it has to something about a "tar heel" thingy?

Who knows. Either way, these look ridiculously good in person (color wise.. I'm awfully at execution).

Back