Getting older and golf

JMN57

Reaction score
Handicap
In flux
Now I know I'm going to get told that I'm not that old but I have a question for those of us who are getting older.

A week ago, I went out for a round and was swinging the club great. Smooth swing with great tempo. Played 3 rounds since then and also a couple of times at the range (200-300). Muscles a little sore and joints too.

Tonight I went to the range and I just had no rhythm/tempo. Joints sore and swing just had no flow. Everything was just to herky jerky.

Any of you guys experience this? Is there anything that you do that helps alleviate sore joints and makes the muscles less achy? I always take naproxen or ibuprofen before a round or the range.

As background, I'm almost 58 (next month), have some arthritis/stenosis in my neck (C5-6) and probably a little in my shoulders. I will occasionally take 1 Vicodin when I go to sleep and I will say the next day everything does work much better.

I turned 50 in January this year. Glucosamine has been my friend for about 5 years now. Also, going to graphite shafts in all clubs but the putter has kept me on the course twice a week this year after missing about half of last year with arthritis in my upper arms / shoulders.

Getting older and golf

Hmmmmmmm let me think about this......

A better question would be does any of us old dudes not experience this?

Sore joints are pretty much par for the course. . Heck be glad you still have all of ya joints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 62 and I NEVER experienced this! :laughing:

Hmmmmmmm let me think about this......

A better question would be does any of us old dudes not experience this?

Sore joints are pretty much par for the course. . Heck be glad you still have all of ya joints

I don't know any, we all pretty much hurt all the time. Advil and Norco are my good friends.

well, I'm only 50 so not really old but I gotta tell ya. I just cant do the things I use as well or as fast etc.. And I have yet to lose much distance in golf
Working a lot of physical labor my whole life so I can still handle beating myself up pretty good with hard labor and also still pretty darn strong imo. But I certainly can tell the differences especially with the stiff back and knealing down, and moving certain ways. The body just doesn't respond the same way anymore. My weight unfortunately is probably much more a detriment to all of this than my over all ability.

I once heard a comedian say (I don't recall who it was) but said we should live life backwards.

Start out with all kinds of ailments and doctor visits etc,,, then finish without a worry or care in the world about anything but playing and having fun.:D

At 68 I get pains in places I didn't know I had. I cannot take pain medication unless it's an emergency so I just have a backache most of the time. At this time I pulled my back so it's the putting green for the last week. Just curious, anyone get massages?

There's a saying that we should stretch one day a week for each decade of age we have. That works wonders. I also love the graphite shafts in my irons. And I use a lot more Rock tape than I ever thought I would (this stuff IS great).

At 68 I get pains in places I didn't know I had. I cannot take pain medication unless it's an emergency so I just have a backache most of the time. At this time I pulled my back so it's the putting green for the last week. Just curious, anyone get massages?

Heck I'd go to one of them massage parlors every week if the budget would allow!

There's a saying that we should stretch one day a week for each decade of age we have. That works wonders. I also love the graphite shafts in my irons. And I use a lot more Rock tape than I ever thought I would (this stuff IS great).

Tell me more. How does that Rock tape work? Doesn't it hurt pulling it off places with hair?

I turned 50 in January this year. Glucosamine has been my friend for about 5 years now. Also, going to graphite shafts in all clubs but the putter has kept me on the course twice a week this year after missing about half of last year with arthritis in my upper arms / shoulders.

Thanks - I'll give some Glucosamine a try.

I once heard a comedian say (I don't recall who it was) but said we should live life backwards.

Start out with all kinds of ailments and doctor visits etc,,, then finish without a worry or care in the world about anything but playing and having fun.:D

George Carlin? I think that was who had that in a routine.

I can tell this thread is going to be a popular one for us old dudes to share ideas.

I always stretch constantly. If not I'll brake 3 ribs, a color bone, sprain a wrist, a knee and probably crap my pants and drop my left tactical just on the first tee.:D

Aleve in the morning, before any round, and before going to bed.

I had a kid ask me why I only hit 20 - 25 range balls to warm up before a round?
I told him that I wasn't trying to warm up, but that I was trying to tear loose the adhesions that formed overnight...:laughing:

60 in January. Can't believe it. I always make sure I have a nice hot shower just before I go out to warm the muscles up, and will often pop a couple of Ibuprofen as I find they help with joint ache.
After 40 odd years of playing football (soccer) I find my knees and ankles suffer worse. I recently bought a pair of Adidas Adiboost shoes to see if they would help, wore them for the 1st time on Wednesday and have to say my legs actually didn't feel as tired in the clubhouse afterwards. Might have been coincidence, I'll try them again tomorrow.
Doesn't seem that long ago that I was going to Scotland with mates, carrying and walking 36 a day for 6 days on the trot. No way could I do that now.
If I play 36 these days I really do need a buggy. If I walk 36, even using an electric trolley, I am coming down the last hole looking like a cross between Douglas Bader and C-3PO.
:bulgy-eyes:

I'm turning 52 this year and I'm lucky enough to avoid regular aches and pains. I usually go about without any medication and supplements, but I have to watch what I eat, especially the alcohol and carbohydrates.

I also need to keep at playing at least once a week, walking 18 holes.

I'm not a health freak, and both sides of the family has had diabetes and heart conditions, so I have to be disciplined with Carbo and food we usually eat. I still eat whatever I want, but always not as much as I would want to.

Still, stamina is my main enemy in golf, the body and mind quits somewhere in the middle of the last nine, and I have to dig very deep to stay in the zone.

When I turned 50 I changed my golf swing, and I'm lucky that I've driven the ball to certain places I've never been before, which means I'm at least as long as I was 15 years ago, if not longer.

I have a buddy who just turned 79 and recently was champion in his handicap category, I'd like to be like him, or better, if I get to reach his age.

I do get massages and reflexology when I get the chance.

I'm working on squeezing a longer drive by being more efficient with my swing without hurting myself, because I know I'm getting even older.

In my late 40's, I once played with some 50-plus guys. I have premature gray hair, so I think I looked as old if not older than the other 3. I drove last, and just after I smacked my drive one of them asks the other, "How old did you say he was?" This is one of those little things that can keep us going.

Interesting, at 59 I am also feeling all the above, but believe my swing does not assist my age.
Why and how did you change, and to what type of swing?
I'm turning 52 this year and I'm lucky enough to avoid regular aches and pains. I usually go about without any medication and supplements, but I have to watch what I eat, especially the alcohol and carbohydrates.

I also need to keep at playing at least once a week, walking 18 holes.

I'm not a health freak, and both sides of the family has had diabetes and heart conditions, so I have to be disciplined with Carbo and food we usually eat. I still eat whatever I want, but always not as much as I would want to.

Still, stamina is my main enemy in golf, the body and mind quits somewhere in the middle of the last nine, and I have to dig very deep to stay in the zone.

When I turned 50 I changed my golf swing, and I'm lucky that I've driven the ball to certain places I've never been before, which means I'm at least as long as I was 15 years ago, if not longer.

I have a buddy who just turned 79 and recently was champion in his handicap category, I'd like to be like him, or better, if I get to reach his age.

I do get massages and reflexology when I get the chance.

I'm working on squeezing a longer drive by being more efficient with my swing without hurting myself, because I know I'm getting even older.

In my late 40's, I once played with some 50-plus guys. I have premature gray hair, so I think I looked as old if not older than the other 3. I drove last, and just after I smacked my drive one of them asks the other, "How old did you say he was?" This is one of those little things that can keep us going.

Interesting, at 59 I am also feeling all the above, but believe my swing does not assist my age.
Why and how did you change, and to what type of swing?

Our body gets less flexible as we age. I reset the limits of my backswing to a much shorter one. On the downswing, my left foot slides out like Jordan Spieth's, not that my swing or my game has any similarity to his. LOL.

I'm sure the left foot slide relieves the torque I would normally feel in my lower back. It's not intentional, my body just subconsciously does it.

I'm tempted to tweak my swing into the textbook swing, but I need to listen to my body to check if it's still capable of doing these things, or there's another way to make the most of the swing physics without potentially hurting myself.

Less moving parts, less damage, less mistakes.

Just turned 55 and am in decent shape but I get arthritis pain in middle two fingers of my left hand the next day following a round. Midsize grips gave me some relief, and I just ordered graphite shafted Adams XTDs that are on the way (sorry, those are irons, not a disease).

Glucosamine/chondroitin daily tablet and ibuprofen before a round keep things going. As to tempo and fatigue last few holes I can relate, but staying relaxed and just focusing on solid contact helps a lot (fewer shots and better results).

I was good until a turned 50 nearly four years ago. Never any real health issues, other than diabetes. Since then, I have had spine/neck surgery in 2013 that had me off work and no golf for 5 months. Next came lower back issues that I still deal with, which includes pain most of the time down my left leg. Also in 2013 I was hit out of no where with vertigo. Went through all the test one could take, and the cause was never found. Now I have to carry pills and take as many as three a day (Diazepam) just to get through the work day and one before every round of golf just so I can bend over on the green without getting dizzy.

In the past year, on top of the vertigo issues, I have had bladder infection three times, kidney stones and like many men my age, I have lost most pressure when it comes to taking a pee. On Flowmax for that which has helped, but I'm still not writting my name in the snow like when I was young (if you know what I mean). When I read the paper or a magazine, I notice the corner of the page in my right hand shaking a little. Dr. says not to worry about that right now (thanks doc!).

All of this added up has forced me to start riding a cart 90% of the time when I play and I would rather walk with my push cart, but it just easier on the body to ride. I left my great career as an civil engineer in 2012 for early retirement and now I'm working harder and longer hours in a HIGH stress position (my mistake).

Getting old sucks!

Back