Digital Green Reader App

GolfInRed

Reaction score
I just discovered a way to find out the break on any green with your smartphone and I wanted to share it with everyone.

If you have an iphone or android this will work the best, and preferably a case that has a flat bottom.

Go to the app store and download "Bubble level." (ABSOLUTELY FREE)

1. Switch the setting to the center bubble with a circle.
2. Place your phone on the ground where you want to know the break and like magic you will see the direction of the green. It will also give you the exact slope in degrees for all you aimpoint fans out there.

This of course is not allowed during a serious competition but what a great training aid for practice rounds and just learning in general.

Accepting Donations :))

Have fun!

At least a good way to test your green reading skill. I'll check it out!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Another more golf-specific one is BreakMeter. Shows the degrees of slope uphill/downhill, and well as left to right/right to left. I'll use it once in awhile when I'm playing alone and the course isn't crowded. I'd say it helps a little on those subtle putts where you're not really seeing the line.

Also, for those iPhone users who are unaware...your device already has a level built into it, which will give you the same information. Open and calibrate you compass then swipe, and there you have it. (Great for leveling pictures on the wall, too!)

In any case, I'm sure the visual of players bending down and checking their phones at various points along the putt line will have the fast-play advocates immediately screaming for mercy. And they might have a point.

I've played with a guy who was dropping his phone all over the greens to read putts. It was irritating because after every missed putt he would declare how his phone was clearly broken and the level is wrong.

I've played with a guy who was dropping his phone all over the greens to read putts. It was irritating because after every missed putt he would declare how his phone was clearly broken and the level is wrong.
Those stupid gyroscopes.

It's obviously not legal to use during a round. I have zero use for any external device to measure break. I use my feet and eyes and on the practice green all it takes is to hit a putt to find the break.

Back